House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Tom Sharpe Dies

I used to love his books, I say "used to" as I read them so much they were over-familiar so I've had a decade long break so that I can go back and enjoy them all over again.

They weren't all winners but off the top of my head:

Vintage Stuff

Porterhouse Blue

Blott on the Landscape

Wilt

Riotous Assembly

Indecent Exposure

were all outstandingly good.

I read some of those! Very good mostly! Blimey! Dropping like flies! ;)

I read some of those! Very good mostly! Blimey! Dropping like flies! ;)

Can't beat the Wilt series; Porterhouse Blue and Blott are also top. I really enjoyed The Throwback.

Anyway, a good life apparently well lived. RIP Tom.

Can't beat the Wilt series; Porterhouse Blue and Blott are also top. I really enjoyed The Throwback.

RIP indeed. A gentleman writer of the old school. 'Vintage Stuff' is one of the funniest books I have ever read; and the 'Porterhouse' books are a hilarious stab at modernism for its own sake.

He did a good interview with Anthony Clare for In the Psychiatrist's Chair - as far as I remember he seemed nicely odd and claimed his father was an aggressive religious loon.

The Throwback has to be one of the funniest books I've ever read! Riotous Assembly and Indecent exposure running a close 2nd & 3rd.

RIP Tom, an Englishman of the highest order.

Obligatory reading for any rebellious teenager with a sense of the absurd in the '70s.

Brilliant stuff.

Yus.

Enjoyed the one where all the South African cops had to undergo "aversion therapy".

You read about things like that happening for real in "A Funny Old World" in Private Eye now.

His books were good fun.

He did a good interview with Anthony Clare for In the Psychiatrist's Chair - as far as I remember he seemed nicely odd and claimed his father was an aggressive religious loon.

I went to uni with Anthony c's son.

Not long after I left:

Lay in bath reading Sunday times magazine to spot him and his dad in one of the interview things they used to do.

What shows me more? How much I blushed then or hw embarrassed I m to admit to readng the unda times?

The Throwback has to be one of the funniest books I've ever read! Riotous Assembly and Indecent exposure running a close 2nd & 3rd.

RIP Tom, an Englishman of the highest order.

You can't say that! You're Scottish! ;)

I went to uni with Anthony c's son.

Not long after I left:

Lay in bath reading Sunday times magazine to spot him and his dad in one of the interview things they used to do.

What shows me more? How much I blushed then or hw embarrassed I m to admit to readng the unda times?

Go on Sarah, now give us the sober version of that anecdote so we can understand it properly :P