House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Cutting Stone With A 9" Grinder With A Diamond Blade / Grinder Says It Doesn't Support It

I've got to cut some stone flags that I'm putting down around the house and I've bought a cheap 9" grinder as it's something I'll hardly ever use but it says you shouldn't use diamond blades with it. Is this because it won't keep the power up when cutting or is it the manufacturer being over cautious and it will be fine.

Bought this

On the website it doesn't say you can't use diamond discs but in the instruction manual it does. Anyone used one of these with a diamond disc? Not used it so if I need to take it back I can do.

Cheers.

You could probably rent an industrial sized one for a few days, and it would be better value! I hired a very large drill for the day, to make a hole for the washing machine exit pipe! Job done in 20 minutes! ;)

http://www.screwfix.com/p/hitachi-g12ss-g23ss-9-4-grinder-twin-pack-230v/51269

http://www.tooled-up.com/product/hitachi-g23ss-angle-grinder-230mm-9-disc-2000w-240v-diamond-blade-carry-case/186727/

According to this link this Hitachi comes with a diamond blade but from screwfix you can get the same grinder for £10 cheaper plus a 4.5" grinder!

I've got to cut some stone flags that I'm putting down around the house and I've bought a cheap 9" grinder as it's something I'll hardly ever use but it says you shouldn't use diamond blades with it. Is this because it won't keep the power up when cutting or is it the manufacturer being over cautious and it will be fine.

Bought this

On the website it doesn't say you can't use diamond discs but in the instruction manual it does. Anyone used one of these with a diamond disc? Not used it so if I need to take it back I can do.

Cheers.

Yes it is possible to cut stone flags with an electric 9" grinder using diamond blades. However you'll find it slow work due to its lack of power compared to a 2 stroke disc cutter.

So, mark a straight line in thick pencil line and begin. It will take a bit of time so remember ear & eye protection without which you'll be deafened and eyes full of dust. Stop every now and then to check progress because excessive dust will obscure your straight line. In fact there will be clouds of dust so keep away from home/neighbours/anything.....Try not to apply too much pressure as you can jam up the blade....use a stroking method to run the blade up and down your straight line gradually increasing the depth of your cut....don't rush it. Good luck.

Yes it is possible to cut stone flags with an electric 9" grinder using diamond blades. However you'll find it slow work due to its lack of power compared to a 2 stroke disc cutter.

So, mark a straight line in thick pencil line and begin. It will take a bit of time so remember ear & eye protection without which you'll be deafened and eyes full of dust. Stop every now and then to check progress because excessive dust will obscure your straight line. In fact there will be clouds of dust so keep away from home/neighbours/anything.....Try not to apply too much pressure as you can jam up the blade....use a stroking method to run the blade up and down your straight line gradually increasing the depth of your cut....don't rush it. Good luck.

Thats what I did with the 4.5" grinder. Cut ok blade just not deep enough.

The reason it might say you can`t use a diamond disc may be because the grinder might not be capable of holding the thinner diamond disk

Decided to take it back and get a refund and get the one from screwfix.

If you already have a lump hammer and chisel, you could have a go at cutting the flags by hand.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/cut_handtools.htm

You may even find it quicker than using power tools.

I'll do bricks etc... by hand, the problem is I've got to cut out some of the flag to fit around the drains. From past experience I've found it impossible to do it by hand, power tools will give a perfect cut and will chance of the flag breaking.

Rent a Stihl saw for the day - would probably cost the same.

The biggest problem will be getting a decent cut with an electric one. It is very hard to hold them stable in a deep cut, and if the blade sticks, it will be ripped out of your hand - decent grinders have clutches, which are well worth it on 9" version. The petrol ones have a 12" heavier blade that is much more stable, and the weight of the machine is in a much better place. They also have a clutch.

If Stihl saw is not an option, then this will work, but be careful and take your time. Don't swing on it over load it. Deffo goggles, mask and ear protection - this is about the most unpleasant job there is.

Hmm.

The biggest concern with cutting discs not designed for your particular tool is axisymmetric stress. Overspeed on a disc will result in catastrophic failure.

Your hand grinder will not be water cooling the blade, plus it is built for speed and not torque.

Like rxe said, rent the right tool, with IP rated motor and water cooling.

Don't risk your tools, fingers, eyeballs and sanity.

FYI: voltage is analogous to speed, current to torque, in electrical theory. A stone cutter will have a bigger motor with more poles, lower speed, but much higher torque.

Rent a Stihl saw for the day - would probably cost the same.

Totally agree! Hire a good professional device for the day! :huh:

Make sure you wear some eye protection when doing this stuff! :blink: