House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gigantic Purple Slug

Sat Nav

Never really been so fond of sat nav but was sold on it after a recent trip.

Thing is when you are on your own, on the opposite side of the road and in a big city rushing to the airport and some mad person has decided to shut one of the roads it is really quite useful for getting you out of a hole.

But hire is costly.

Does anyone have one that has UK, europe and US maps ? Any good ?

Thing is when you are on your own, on the opposite side of the road and in a big city rushing to the airport and some mad person has decided to shut one of the roads it is really quite useful for getting you out of a hole.

But hire is costly.

used to use tomtom but since google now provide turn by turn navigation i mostly rely on my phone.

used to use tomtom but since google now provide turn by turn navigation i mostly rely on my phone.

Phone is OK but not so good when abroad and downloading a fair wodge of data. I try to avoid it, I can imagine using your phone in the US for sat nav if you dont have a data plan could be quite costly.

But hire is costly.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sygic.aura&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5zeWdpYy5hdXJhIl0.

http://www.sygic.com/en/android:buy-now

I've currently got a cheapie generic Chinese one that I got off of ebay, about £55 I think and although I've only used it in the UK so far it'll plan a route as far as Vladivostok.

I've currently got a cheapie generic Chinese one that I got off of ebay, about £55 I think and although I've only used it in the UK so far it'll plan a route as far as Vladivostok.

Are you delivering secondhand statues of Stalin now? :blink:

Are you delivering secondhand statues of Stalin now? :blink:

I actually saw the last remaining statue of Stalin when I was in Russia, at Nizhny Novgorod, all of the others had been gone for years but somehow one was overlooked. There used to be Lenin statues in every town, I gather they are all gone now. I wish I'd bought one, it would make a nice garden ornament :lol:

I actually saw the last remaining statue of Stalin when I was in Russia, at Nizhny Novgorod, all of the others had been gone for years but somehow one was overlooked. There used to be Lenin statues in every town, I gather they are all gone now. I wish I'd bought one, it would make a nice garden ornament :lol:

Kazakhstan still has a few Stalins left! The wife of a friend of mine comes from there! I can imagine Lenin might be a bit more popular!

I have a garden gnome that looks like Fidel Castro! :huh:

I guess with the truck you would have the space. Apparently there is one at the southern pole of inaccessabilty, but it could cost you a few quid in diesel to get there.

I guess with the truck you would have the space. Apparently there is one at the southern pole of inaccessabilty, but it could cost you a few quid in diesel to get there.

It's like when you buy a church organ off EBay! Collect only! ;)

The last time I went to the States on holiday I bought one, the amount of stress it saved made it a bargain.

What? You bought a church organ or a giant Stalin? :blink:

A State.

One of the desert ones.

That would look great in your garden! I have a rather smaller place so maybe I could get Rhode Island! ;)

But hire is costly.

6-7 years ago I bought a generic cheapy satnav for 60 quid from Ebuyer, hacked it, and installed the software, of, um, a leading satnav company. Still works fine throughout Europe though I've never attempted to update the maps. I daresay that such blatant criminality is still possible :ph34r: .

6-7 years ago I bought a generic cheapy satnav for 60 quid from Ebuyer, hacked it, and installed the software, of, um, a leading satnav company. Still works fine throughout Europe though I've never attempted to update the maps. I daresay that such blatant criminality is still possible :ph34r: .

I've never updated the maps on my globe shaped illuminated cocktail cabinet! That's why half the World is still pink in my mind! Look! The Gold Coast, and German South West Africa! I want to go the Belgian Congo with Tintin! :huh:

Phone is OK but not so good when abroad and downloading a fair wodge of data. I try to avoid it, I can imagine using your phone in the US for sat nav if you dont have a data plan could be quite costly.

map factor navigator ---free offline GPS navigation app for android. download the maps in advance.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapfactor.navigator&hl=en

But hire is costly.

Welcome to the 20th century.

Use Nokia's maps. Similar to Google for navigation, but lets you pre-download datasets for whatever countries you'll be travelling in, and then use the satnav without even a data connection.

Guest eight

Use Nokia's maps. Similar to Google for navigation, but lets you pre-download datasets for whatever countries you'll be travelling in, and then use the satnav without even a data connection.

I've never used a satnav and never get lost on journeys despite only cursory reference to maps beforehand. I think I might be part pigeon.

If mobile data is not a problem, use Waze on a smart phone. It works, and has the benefit of police detection as well.

I've never used a satnav and never get lost on journeys despite only cursory reference to maps beforehand. I think I might be part pigeon.

Was that you made the mess on my window? :angry:

Guest eight

Was that you made the mess on my window? :angry:

Oh yeah, that was me, sorry. :P

We have them on our bedroom bay window roof. You can hear them squabbling over the best spot all night long. :angry:

I am the same.

Navigation is a skill, the more you use it, the better you get. Basic clues like watching the position of the sun also help*.

On the one hand I do think sat navs need to be used with a degree of caution. They can take you horribly the wrong way or lead you to places that aren't necessarily a good place to go.

But a satnav coupled with some basic map reading before the journey and a basic awareness of where you are going (rather than blindly and unthinkingly using the technology) is a pretty powerful combination.

*Also maintaining the ability to navigate will be useful in the forthcoming apocalypse.

You can buy the map data for foreign countries as an add-on and install it in many satnavs.

Mine is a MyGuide (Halfords generic) bought in 2007, which came with a restricted version of iGo and UK maps only. Thanks to instructions online, I hacked it and installed a (legally bought) copy of the full version of iGo8, and have since bought and installed map data for The Netherlands, Alaska and California when I've been driving there. That approach is a hell of a lot cheaper than paying a $10-a day surcharge for a satnav supplied in your rental car.