House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Premier League Revenues To Rise By 25% To £3Bn,debts Of £2.4Bn, Says Deloitte

Munich have just won the champions league..

Their squad is stuffed with world class players, so wages aren't scrimpted on.

Yet their season ticket prices are lower then some bottom 3 premier league clubs..

mmm

Yet their season ticket prices are lower then some bottom 3 premier league clubs..

mmm

The cash these clubs are getting defies belief.

I heard on talk sport a few months back a comment that went something like....the championship/lower leagues had moaned to them about talk sport stating ticket prices should be lower in the premier leagues because they would then have to lower their prices!!!

Seems to me the footie supporter is being milked for all they are worth.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Guest eight

I heard on talk sport a few months back a comment that went something like....the championship/lower leagues had moaned to them about talk sport stating ticket prices should be lower in the premier leagues because they would then have to lower their prices!!!

Not too many industries I'd imagine where 75% of revenues goes on wages. Suggests to me that players and their agents are doing a good job looking out for their own interests. Well done to them.

Edited by eight

Not too many industries I'd imagine where 75% of revenues goes on wages. Suggests to me that players and their agents are doing a good job looking out for their own interests. Well done to them.

I'd say the marketing men at the Premier league are geniuses. They are selling what is effectively a league full of foreign players based in the England.

I wonder how foreign viewers will look at it if the grounds are mostly empty because people can't afford to go anymore.

Guest eight

I'd say the marketing men at the Premier league are geniuses. They are selling what is effectively a league full of foreign players based in the England.

I wonder how foreign viewers will look at it if the grounds are mostly empty because people can't afford to go anymore.

I remember Bob Murray, then Sunderland chairman, saying in the late nineties that football was in a unique position because "we've got a hundred year old business selling tomorrow's product". I always thought he was an **** but I grudgingly admit now he was spot on.

Regarding the empty grounds, I notice that some games now have the scrolling pitchside ads put in digitally. Must be possible to do the same with the spectators? Add "Escape to Victory" style crown noise, and problem solved.

Sounds like we need a Help to buy (session ticket) scheme here, underwrite by the taxpayer, of course..

In the summer of 2012, the Premier League clubs had a total debt of £2.4bn.

Of that, some £1.4bn was in interest-free soft loans from owners (2011: £1.5bn), of which around 90% related to three clubs: Chelsea (£895m), Newcastle United (£267m) and Queens Park Rangers (£93m).

Chelsea's debt completely dwarfs and skews the data, even though Abramovich has shifted it up to the holding company.

Well this is one lifelong football lover who won't be adding to their coffers. Won't be attending and won't be paying for Sky either. Pack of butties, flask of coffee, and walk up and down a few hills. Stick the PL up their whatever and as for the England team????

Edited by tomwatkins

mmm

If I've read this right Bayern have debts equal to just 5% of revenue Forbes Link (Man U are 18%). That must relieve them of a lot of interest payments that is freed for players wages. Part owned by the fans too, and very affordable to attend. I admire the German football model, and it must surely engage the fans more.

I've started following ice hockey, in part because it's only £15 or less a ticket (and pretty exciting), and in part because I felt I was being used as a cash cow by the football industry. The NHL in North America have a cap on wages of 50% or turnover, because in the past wages (and debts) spiraled out of control. The NHL have a turnover of abut £2.3 bn, so a bit smaller than the Prem, but still pretty big. I think the AFL have a similar wage cap. To be honest, football economics are baffling to me, although plenty of pretty big clubs like Leeds and Forest have gone into admin when it suited them over the last 10 years and jettisoned their debts.