House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Converted Lurker

Saw A Post Ages Back, On The Lines Of 70% Of Uk Land

can anyone help on this? I mentioned it to a good friend and he dismissed it out of hand please help me not look like a idiot :(

During the plague, Oxford and Cambridge Uni's brought up as much land as they possibly could. Up to a few years ago you could walk from Oxford to Cambridge just on their land. Most of Oxford City Centre is still owned by the Uni and they collect very nice rents. Maybe there is similiar stories to this?

I don't knwo the percentage of total, but in decreasing order:

1 The Crown - nicked from you and I (see the Enclosures act)

2. The Church of England - nicked in te name of God

3 and 4 Oxford and Cambridge universities -

Apparently University fees were often paid in the form

of land during the middle ages.

ABB

I don't knwo the percentage of total, but in decreasing order:

1 The Crown - nicked from you and I (see the Enclosures act)

2. The Church of England - nicked in te name of God

3 and 4 Oxford and Cambridge universities -

They still own the port of Felixstowe, or the land at least, can't remember which one.

can anyone help on this? I mentioned it to a good friend and he dismissed it out of hand please help me not look like a idiot sad.gif

http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/3046/

..here's a generic tree hugger site which gives all sorts of ownership percentages for land....

i.e..

# 95% of the USA is owned by the richest 3% of Americans

# 74% of United Kingdom is owned by the richest 2% of Britons

# 84% of Scotland is owned by the richest 7% of Scots

...i can remember the post you're on about but it was ages ago and would take some searching for..!!

..so hopefully the site above will back up your case... but it looks like it was written by loonies.. ;)

Edited by how much...?? you must be joking

Guest consa

* The UK has 60 million acres of land in total.

* 70% of the land is owned by 1% of the population.

* Just 6,000 or so landowners -- mostly aristocrats, but also large institutions and the Crown -- own about 40 million acres, two thirds of the UK.

* Britain's top 20 landowning families have bought or inherited an area big enough to swallow up the entire counties of Kent, Essex and Bedfordshire, with more to spare.

* Big landowners measure their holdings by the square mile; the average Briton living in a privately owned property has to exist on 340 square yards.

* Each home pays £550/ann. on average in council tax while each landowning home receives £12,169/ann. in subsidies. The poor subsidising the super rich. In Ireland where land redistribution occurred, there is no council tax.

* A building plot, the land, now constitutes between half to two- thirds of the cost of a new house.

* 60 million people live in 24 million "dwellings".

* These 24 million dwellings sit on approx 4.4 million acres (7.7% of the land).

* Of the 24 million dwellings, 11% owned by private landlords and 65% privately owned.

* 19 million privately owned homes, inc gardens, sit on 5.8% of the land.

* Average dwelling has 2.4 people in it.

* 77% of the population of 60 million (projected to be more in new census) live on only 5.8% of the land, about 3.5 million acres (total 60 million).

* Agriculture only accounts for 3% of the economy.

* Average density of people on one residential acre is 12 to 13.

* 10.9 million homes carries a mortgage of some kind.

* Average value of an acre of development land is £404,000. High in south east of £704,154, low in north east of £226,624. London is in a category of its own.

* Reservations of land have been place by builders to a value of 37 billion to build the 3-4 million homes required. The land reserved is almost wholly owned by aristocrats; with none of it on the land registry. This land is coming out of subsidised rural estates, land held by off-shore trusts and companies and effectively untaxed.

http://www.progress.org/revwob.htm

Edited by consa

There was a book on this, some 3/4/5 years ago, written by iirc a Sunday Times journalist or ists.

Try googling or Amazon.

It is called "who owns Britain" by Kevin Cahill. Its an amusing read, but riddled with basic errors and irrelevant data. His views, and many of his facts are about 100 years out of date. Consa has highlighted a few of these above.

I have another relevant book on the subject, particularly the money & power historical side of property : 'The National Wealth: Who Gets What In Britain'

by Dominic Hobson from 1999 Harper Collins - 1300 pages- See Part one of Synopsis re: property below.

About £6 from Amazon or Book Finder.com 2nd Hand

http://www.amazon.co.uk/o/ASIN/0002559137/...Q8M5RCYT8DT1F02

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl&st...92609284_1:3:15

"Synopsis

A lucid, authoritative and comprehensive account of who owns the physical and financial wealth of the UK. How did the various people and institutions come to own the assets of the nation?

What is their share of the assets worth? What are they doing with their share? What does it all mean for the liberty and prosperity of the country? The National Wealth is about money and power.

A quick breakdown of the book's contents:

* Part One: examines earlier forms of property ownership -- the monarchy, aristocracy, church, universities, the great public schools and the medieval corporations. Includes valuations of their wealth today, and scrutinises today's heritage industry. *

Part Two: the State -- the assets of central and local government, from the gold in the vaults of the Bank of England to municipal parks. Analyses consequences of the post-war nationalizations and the privatizations of the 1980s and 90s.

* Part Three: the People -- controllers of capital rather than the owners (the boardroom Fat Cats, accountants, lawyers and other professionals who form the richest groups in modern Britain: plus farmers, judges, dentists, teachers, etc.).

* Part Four: the Corporate Economy (investment institutions, bankers, brokers, insurance companies, pension funds, charity industry, sporting bodies, etc.). "