House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

StuG III

Dress Codes

Is it not the case that corporate dress codes discriminate against people on the basis of gender?

In my new work place, the team has 5 men and 4 women. All the men are required to be decked out in wool/silk/nylon in suits jackets and ties and the women can wear pretty much whatever they want including sandals etc.

How is this even legal?

You wouldnt make a Jewish employee wear a star of David on his jacket so why do male employees have to wear a lanyard knotted round their throats?

Men have a far greater capacity for dressing like tramps than women.

But I agree that there should be equal treatment, if you want to wear jeans then that's fine.

I wear a decent suit and tie because it looks impressive and people listen to your more in meetings than if you were wearing a hoody. It has repaid the cost many times in terms of promotions. Sometimes you need to look the part. If the Queen dressed like Dot Cotton you wouldn't have the same level of respect for her.

Men have a far greater capacity for dressing like tramps than women.

But I agree that there should be equal treatment, if you want to wear jeans then that's fine.

I wear a decent suit and tie because it looks impressive and people listen to your more in meetings than if you were wearing a hoody. It has repaid the cost many times in terms of promotions. Sometimes you need to look the part. If the Queen dressed like Dot Cotton you wouldn't have the same level of respect for her.

I'm not remotely interested in promotion even it there was the possibility of such.

So if a female can wear a knee length skirt and shoulderless blouse with sandals, why cant I rack up in shorts, a t-shirt and flip-flops and demand equal treatment?

I'm not remotely interested in promotion even it there was the possibility of such.

So if a female can wear a knee length skirt and shoulderless blouse with sandals, why cant I rack up in shorts, a t-shirt and flip-flops and demand equal treatment?

Why not indeed? Against a backdrop of shorts and t-shirts my suits would look even more impressive.

Since the war first hats went from office wear, then waistcoats, and now lots of men don't wear ties. But it's a slow process.

An edict came round from the head office once! Men had been required to wear ties for customer visits! No tie should be more than 8 cm wide at the widest point! Only my boss failed on that one! Probably due to when he bought it, about 1976 I think! :huh:

Turn up in a kilt, bare legs, bare feet, and bare chested. That will show those namby pamby suit wearers a thing or two.

But seriously, why not a sarong, sandals, open-necked kaftan or tunic, long hair, jewelry? Why not?

Turn up in a kilt, bare legs, bare feet, and bare chested. That will show those namby pamby suit wearers a thing or two.

But seriously, why not a sarong, sandals, open-necked kaftan or tunic, long hair, jewelry? Why not?

You must have seen a picture of me on the Internet Mr Forte! ;)

I once worked for the office of a buttoned down American company in Nice, France. Everyone had to wear suit and tie (except for me as I was external) but the girls, as the OP says, pitched up in whatever they'd probably got home from the disco from the night before. The aircon wasn't even that effective. One of the "consultants" asked the boss why it was alright for one of the women to wear a black thong with translucent white trousers. "because she's a woman and she has a nice butt" was the reply.

You wouldnt make a Jewish employee wear a star of David on his jacket so why do male employees have to wear a lanyard knotted round their throats?

To remind them of their slave status.

I haven't worn a tie since I left school. I wear a suit on average about once every couple of years.

Is it not the case that corporate dress codes discriminate against people on the basis of gender?

In my new work place, the team has 5 men and 4 women. All the men are required to be decked out in wool/silk/nylon in suits jackets and ties and the women can wear pretty much whatever they want including sandals etc.

How is this even legal?

It's not legal. There was a court case over decade ago where some male staff took the JobCentre to court and won.

I once worked for the office of a buttoned down American company in Nice, France. Everyone had to wear suit and tie (except for me as I was external) but the girls, as the OP says, pitched up in whatever they'd probably got home from the disco from the night before. The aircon wasn't even that effective. One of the "consultants" asked the boss why it was alright for one of the women to wear a black thong with translucent white trousers. "because she's a woman and she has a nice butt" was the reply.

I'm struggling to see the problem here.

I think the distinction has happened because there has been an established mens "uniform" developed over time, where as women in suits have never really become common place except in the most corporate of corporate environments, so there aren't really norms as such. Its not that uncommon for people of both sexes to be told to smarten up at work.

I don't know why the men aren't happy to have something nicer to look at and feel safe in the knowledge that they are paid more on average.

Not all workplaces are biased. I know of at least one workplace that insists on women wearing only skirt suits, closed shoes and tights. At the last place I worked at, there was a dress code for both men and women. For men, the standard. For both, never denim. For women, a rather complicated list, including "good foundation garments" (meaning nothing see-through, clingy, low-cut or too wobbly), sandals had to have at least a small heel with no open backs, tailored trousers or at least knee-length skirt, no sleeveless tops or dresses... and on it went.

Even though I am female, I agree with the OP. I wish my current workplace had some sort of code - especially in summer (and I still stick to the rules of the previous place, for dignity's sake.) Some women have recently been turning up in cropped non-blue jeans, sparkly flip flops, t-shirts, string vests and one even arrived the other day in something that looked like trackie bottoms with a big baggy top. The chubby ones seem to like letting it all hang out. Not professional looking at all, not good for company image, but the management don't seem to do anything about it. At the same time, the poor men are stuck in shirts and ties.

Just wear what you like. If anyone says anything tell them to mind their own business.

If they sack you, get a better job which isnt run by Nazis.

Hear, hear.

Real crooks wear suits and talk in authoritative, confident tones. B)

On weekends I like to wear a lab coat and clipboard and encourage passers-by to take part in my 'experiment'.

I think its down to many bosses being scared to confront a woman about their clothing. But telling a bloke to smarten up is less confrontational. It winds me up.

Because women mostly look better when they choose, and men don't. Exceptions to that rule are entertaining.

Why not indeed? Against a backdrop of shorts and t-shirts my suits would look even more impressive.

Since the war first hats went from office wear, then waistcoats, and now lots of men don't wear ties. But it's a slow process.

Strangely, hats are expressly forbidden by our dress code :blink:

I've actually used that argument in a previous job.

GrumpyBoss complains of my sandals, I point out that many of the ladies wear sandals and we're not supposed to discriminate.

On one day (height of summer) I return from a few days hols to do an afternoon's work. I've just cycled straight from the airport wearing shorts. GrumpyBoss is very unhappy, but again I point to the ladies, and the fact some of them have nice legs isn't a reason to discriminate.

If someone I don't know turns up to a meeting not wearing a suit it's usually a sign that they've actually got something interesting and useful to say.

If someone I don't know turns up to a meeting not wearing a suit it's usually a sign that they've actually got something interesting and useful to say.

Yes.

Such as "Sorry I'm late for the meeting, but I just got mugged and my suit was stolen. Look out for suit-stealing muggers."

They are probaby the billionaire owner and have no need to partake in the suit wearing cult.

I work in a pretty corporate environment and a couple of years back the same thoughts as the OP crossed my mind.

So I thought "I'll stop wearing a suit and see what happens". Answer: nothing. I still can't believe it. I think that, in three years, the worst I've had is one person say in a friendly manner, "still doing the casual thing, then?". All the other blokes are still in ties etc. Bonkers.

It's a bit of a pain because I was half hoping that the unreasonabless that I was expecting would make me say "sod it" and bugger off.

However, meeting my new boss next week who, by all accounts is Mr Corporate - so maybe I'll be out before the summer ends.

After about 18 months in the civil service I was banned from wearing smart (I.E. tailored rather than combat style) shorts to work (jeans were apparently fine as far as the chap two grades above me was concerned). I could have pressed the point by turning up in tights and a skirt instead, but chose not to. At the time I had a pretty fast metabolism, and the aircon wasn't that effective :( .

On hot days I used to roll out of the office and immediately strip topless for the walk to the station. The lass from the office on the other side of our floor who (I am 95% certain) fancied me clocked me doing it once. To this day I have no idea if it gave her a thrill or put her off for life :ph34r: . I did once get wolf-whistled by a northern girl on a tour bus however! :P