House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

The Call Centre

Quite amusing...although the main protagonist (Nev) is probably trying too hard to be David Brent...

Get the feeling it's a government inspired 'managing expectations' piece.

Hey kids look it's great fun to work in a call centre.

(Also interesting to note the call centre's entire line of work seems to be touting things benefiting from either government subsidies or government inspired regulation changes)

(Also interesting to note the call centre's entire line of work seems to be touting things benefiting from either government subsidies or government inspired regulation changes)

Oddly enough, I made the exact same observation.

Impressed Nev managed to keep a straight face while saying his services 'help consumers'

Questions.

How long would Nev last in almost any other work situation?

Does he only hire women with orange faces?

I managed the IT for a 70 seat telemarketing operation (although B2B in our case) for about 4 years. The show is fairly representative of what I saw.

However, don't be too swift to judge. We took on a guy as a telemarketer whose work experience was digging holes in the road for the council.

Two years of telemarketing and he moved into our sales team. Three years after that he bought a £1.8m house in Hampshire.

How long would Nev last in almost any other work situation?

Five years ago I would have made the same observation in the same slightly sneery superior tone.

These days however, I respect the fact that he's got off his ar$e and developed a business that employs people, however distasteful that enterprise might be to the rest of us.

Three years after that he bought a £1.8m house in Hampshire.

Surely on a 100% IO liar mortgage? :rolleyes:

Surely on a 100% IO liar mortgage? :rolleyes:

When you generate 300k income per year from recurring revenue and do 6m a year in new sales, it soon adds up. At the top-end, telecoms is like that.

When you generate 300k income per year from recurring revenue and do 6m a year in new sales, it soon adds up. At the top-end, telecoms is like that.

It seems thats where the money is. We have an economy where the middle men have middle men who in turn have middle men.

Its a bit like the drug dealer supply chain from Latin america to europe, everyone takes their cut, no one adds any real value but leeches off a bit.

Quite amusing...although the main protagonist (Nev) is probably trying too hard to be David Brent...

From what I saw I thought so too.

Amazed he hasn't been hit by discrimination lawsuits, he's almost advertising now for someone to turn up for it.

I've only just caught the end of this series from Swansea's 3rd biggest call centre.

Where did they find so many massive Oompa Loompas?

Tea lady? Lucky bastards, apparently my company lost theirs 20 years ago. Although the last thing those fat ******s need is more cake.

I've never watched it. Never will. However, I suspect Nev (the manager) will have a TV presenting job within 3-5 years.

Did you not see the end where they were all dressed as oompa loompas with green hair and orange faces? To be fair, it was the green hair that gave it away.

I know, it was on the trailers. The point stands though, they are a strange looking bunch.

These days however, I respect the fact that he's got off his ar$e and developed a business that employs people, however distasteful that enterprise might be to the rest of us.

This show is exactly the sort of thing that I don't watch, except I did... it's quite funny.

Running that company, managing a young team who form cliques, with the staff doing what is arguably one of the most thankless jobs in the country having abuse hurled at them, all of them young with I suspect relatively little work experience, and with poor discipline that needs tight control, takes some personality strength.

The guy is a wealth creator. So I find myself siding with your view.

And then I think back to the days when we used to have a landline and used to get calls like that, and think that the guy's obvious talents really could be put to use doing something more worthwhile.

Just goes to show how f*cked up the UK 'economy' is.