House Price Crash Forum
cashinmattress

Migrants Are Better Workers

link

The arrival of thousands of workers from eastern Europe has had “great advantages” for Britain, John Bercow said.

In remarks that have raised questions about his political neutrality, the Speaker also attacked British critics of recent trends in immigration for their “bellicose and strident tone”.

As Speaker, Mr Bercow is expected to stay out of active political debates. Ministers and MPs are currently debating how Britain should prepare for next year’s lifting of European immigration restrictions on Romanians and Bulgarians.

In remarks on a visit to Romania last week, Mr Bercow appeared to give his support for policies that have allowed eastern Europeans to travel to Britain and work.

Since 2004, about one million eastern Europeans have come to Britain under European Union freedom of movement rules.

From next year, Romanians and Bulgarians will have the same right.

Some MPs argue that the arrival of eastern Europeans can bring social and economic problems in parts of Britain.

Ministers have promised changes in public service rules to make it harder for newcomers to use services such as the NHS.

During a visit to Bucharest, Mr Bercow spoke about the “important wave of immigrants” that have come to Britain in recent years, and praised their work ethic.

“I believe things should be controlled and monitored when it comes to migration, any state that wants to protect its own people should do this, but there are also great advantages,” he said.

“I want to underline the fact that there has been an important wave of immigrants that came to Great Britain from new member states and in many cases they came with aptitudes and a commitment, an involvement we haven’t always seen in our labour force.”

Mr Bercow made the remarks during an official visit to the Romanian parliament last week. He was given a full ceremonial welcome, addressing the parliament and meeting senior politicians.

He also gave a press conference where he criticised the British media for raising doubts about immigration, accusing some journalists of “negative and discriminatory” reporting on the issue.

British media coverage of immigration is not reflective of British opinion on the issue, Mr Bercow told reporters in Bucharest. He added: “A free media is a vital part of a democracy. But the media is not the Government and it is not Parliament,” he said. “I am here as a friend of Romania and someone who sees the benefits of immigration.”

Mr Bercow’s decision to speak about the benefits of immigration has been questioned.

Nigel Farage, the UK Independence Party leader who challenged Mr Bercow at the last election, said the Speaker had failed to fulfil his duty to remain above politics.

He said: “It is outrageous that Mr Bercow is happy to overthrow the wisdom of ages and think it acceptable to comment on matters that are both highly political and deeply contentious. He is a disgrace to the office of Speaker.

“There are very good practical and constitutional reasons why the Speaker is neutral, reasons that he obviously believes are beneath his own august self image.”

Rob Wilson, a Conservative MP who has questioned Mr Bercow’s fairness in chairing parliamentary debates, said his comments raised concerns.

Mr Wilson said: “Immigration is an incredibly important and sensitive matter that generates very strong opinions. The Speaker needs not only to be neutral in his handling of debates on the issue, but he needs to be seen to be neutral.

“It would be a dangerous precedent if a Speaker were to start airing their views too freely on a subject like this.”

As Speaker, Mr Bercow determines which MPs can speak in Commons debates, and some members are wary of criticising him publicly.

Another MP said Mr Bercow was unwise to comment on the immigration debate in the way that he did. “He should stay out of things like this,” the MP said.

Some MPs defended Mr Bercow’s decision to discuss immigration.

Philip Hollobone, a Conservative MP who has criticised liberal immigration rules, said he did not object to Mr Bercow’s actions.

He said: “As Speaker of the House of Commons, it is absolutely right that if he is asked a question, he is able to answer it freely and honestly.”

A Commons spokesman confirmed Mr Bercow’s remarks about immigration during his visit to Romania last week.

He said: “Mr Speaker was on an official visit at the invitation of the Romanian parliament, supported by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, where he delivered a speech about the role and importance of parliaments in the democratic system. Mr Speaker was responding to a question about British media coverage in relation to future EU migration.

Ho hum. Truth is we needs tons of immigrants to come here and take up all the minimum wage jobs that nobody 2nd+ generation wants.

Perhaps Romania and Bulgaria aren't the best countries to choose this influx of manual labourers from, but what are the other options? None. None that will not destroy the state of affairs here in Britain.

Farage and his idiotic party get the chance to bandstand on this one, but UKIP couldn't run a back room disco, let alone national policy.

Migrants work really hard...... until they realize their salary isn't enough to buy a home here.

Then they have to claim benefits, or go home.

Edited by sleeping dog

I know English people who are hard working and others who are lazy. I know foreign people who are hard working and others are lazy.

In other words some people are hard working some are lazy nothing to do with whether you are a foreigner or not.

I have noticed however that immigrant friends who don't claim benefits are more likely to have problems with their visas than ones who do.

It should of course be the other way round but logic and government policy are not related.

IMHO we should have the same attitude to immigration that google allegedly has to job recruitment - only people who are better than the average brit should be allowed in.

Sadly it is sometimes (not always) the reverse.

the truth is migrants do tend to work hard and they will work harder than the locals.

if works both ways as well. if you took an average brit and plonked him in another country, they will work much harder than the locals in order to succeed.

if youre prepared to move to another country, those people tend to be more focussed in knowing what they want to do and are prepared to do.

Edited by mfp123

the truth is migrants do tend to work hard and they will work harder than the locals.

if works both ways as well. if you took an average brit and plonked him in another country, they will work much harder than the locals in order to succeed.

if youre prepared to move to another country, those people tend to be more focussed in knowing what they want to do and are prepared to do.

I wonder how many are moving here to try and make a life, and how many are just over here to work a year or three to make as much dosh as possible to send back to a weaker economy country, eg say 5 to a place paying say 250 quid each a month in rent and bills, sending a few hundred quid a month back home or saving up for spending back home after the few years working here.

I know of a few guys working on local farms living in caravans behind the main farm house.

Half correct, it might be true of people who move here to work. I know people who moved here because of the money they can get as a single mum.

You would think that this government cuckold would have more common sense. It's pretty clear if you look at internet comments that anti muslim hatred is running at an all time high, and is still growing. A side effect of a politician saying that British people are lazy is an increased resentment towards immigrants and especially towards muslims. But when the BBC and other "respectable" media outlets hosted Islamist extremist commentators within hours of Lee Rigby's death what hope have we really for anything other than chaos in this country?

I dont agree with this statement. My current work place, a large blue chip company, has about 80% non EU workers. There are 2 who are great and hard working, the rest bone idle. From what i understand there seems to be a feeling of the fact that once they have got into the UK , they have made it. I can see why they feel that way as i see them going from one job to another without a problem (these are ones that had been thrown out for poor quality work).

In addition, and without going into detail, there is an under the table understanding that they get 1st priority from the recruitment agent (one of the UKs biggest). This slipped from the horses mouth (the recruiter). Originally the business had to insist to the recruiters that i was brought in, otherwise i wouldnt be working here at present.

“I want to underline the fact that there has been an important wave of immigrants that came to Great Britain from new member states and in many cases they came with aptitudes and a commitment, an involvement we haven’t always seen in our labour force.”

How exactly is this not racist speech? If anyone were to say that about any group other than the British, they'd be arrested.

This must be the only country in the world which knocks its own workers and population. :rolleyes:

Quite. The £5,000 per person.spent on 'work placements' could be spent on training instead. We could achieve the most highly trained workforce in Western Europe but unemployment is desirable, so is importing ever cheaper immigrant workers.

Migrants rarely get the better jobs but are generally the more proactive and educated from their own country.

Therefore is the best from one country vs the dregs of the another going for the dregs jobs. No contest because they have to pay them minimum wage so the locals can't undercut them using their local advantages (language, culture, family etc)

Edited by cica

Guest eight

Migrants rarely get the better jobs but are generally the more proactive and educated from their own country.

There have been a number of high profile murder cases in these parts involving, specifically, Poles. I do wonder if the contribution made by the hard workers is net of the cost of incarcerating all the violent ones.

link

Ho hum. Truth is we needs tons of immigrants to come here and take up all the minimum wage jobs that nobody 2nd+ generation wants..

Mass immigration was to push wages down. The minimum wage has pulled some people up but it has caused far more wages to fall. It is an absolute disgrace in this country that there is the need for working family tax credits, 2.5 million unemployed and another 2.5 on disability.

This must be the only country in the world which knocks its own workers and population. :rolleyes:

You are not the first to say that today........there are lazy workers everywhere.....but to say your own people are lazier than most just goes to show the men in power are not on the people that pay them side. ;)

I work for a manufacturing company that is heavily reliant upon immigrant workers; mainly Poles, but also Lithuanians and Hungarians.

We have difficulty in getting British staff that can match the productivity of the immigrants. We compete with businesses across Europe, and were it not for the immigrants we probably would have difficulty competing. The immigrants do suppress wages, but the alternative is that our business would not exist. At our site we employ c.150 people, about 40 of these are immigrants doing semi-skilled or unskilled work.

About 50 British workers, mainly office based or supervisory rely upon the hard work of the immigrants.

So, if the immigrants go home we lose 50 skilled or managerial jobs in the UK. The British semi-skilled and unskilled would lose their jobs too.

We'd be left with a Sales force selling the products made by our sister sites in Europe.

Withdraw from Europe and the job I do disappears.

Edit: spelling

Edited by CynicAl

I can't be bothered with the politically correct lie, and partly that's because it's such a sham.

Again, a member of the ruling elite makes an out and out attack (along racial lines) on the British working class (which, lets face it is anyone who has to work for a living). Convenient, lazy stereotyping of us all by the out of touch, snarling, greed filled elite who regard themselves as a different species, let alone race.

From a man in his position, utter Scum.

I can't be bothered with the politically correct lie, and partly that's because it's such a sham.

Again, a member of the ruling elite makes an out and out attack (along racial lines) on the British working class (which, lets face it is anyone who has to work for a living). Convenient, lazy stereotyping of us all by the out of touch, snarling, greed filled elite who regard themselves as a different species, let alone race.

From a man in his position, utter Scum.

+1. I would say they produce better politicians. At least they support their own people which is more than can be said for UK politicians.

I work for a manufacturing company that is heavily reliant upon immigrant workers; mainly Poles, but also Lithuanians and Hungarians.

We have difficulty in getting British staff that can match the productivity of the immigrants. We compete with businesses across Europe, and were it not for the immigrants we probably would have difficulty competing. The immigrants do suppress wages, but the alternative is that our business would not exist. At our site we employ c.150 people, about 40 of these are immigrants doing semi-skilled or unskilled work.

About 50 British workers, mainly office based or supervisory rely upon the hard work of the immigrants.

So, if the immigrants go home we lose 50 skilled or managerial jobs in the UK. The British semi-skilled and unskilled would lose their jobs too.

We'd be left with a Sales force selling the products made by our sister sites in Europe.

Utter rubbish! You aren't trying hard enough to recruit Brits, there are plenty of UK workers capable of working just as hard if not more so, I've seen it first hand. If Poles are that good why don't you move your factory out there and be done with it? I bet you rely on British consumers for your products though?

Subsidised jobs are not wealth creating, so the real question is: are those jobs worth the cost imposed on other people by allowing immigration?

I don't know, but its the kind of question that politicians should be asking and aren't. As long as something appears to create jobs or pay taxes, then its all good.

Its a self selecting population and so shows bias.

Only motivated people will travel to another country for work. The lazy ones stay at home.

Its simple logic really.

I keep saying this.

They are forced to be paid minimum wage which is a lot for these foreigners otherwise they wouldn't want to come and allows them to pay rent and put up with all the disadvantages of being a foreigner.

The locals could undercut them like crazy if they were allowed. They have the language, the friends, the culture, and often free rent if they are young. The only variable that says they can't compete is the fact they can't use their advantages of undercutting.

Imagine if we didn't have minimum wage: "I'm from Romania and I work really hard despite my poor English but we have to pay rent and compete with young people that can live with their parents. The UK government should force employers to pay a minimum wage to create a level playing field. Then I could afford a tiny flat and rent off a landlord."

Edited by cica

Building an economy which is dependent on temporary economic migrants filling the gaps is dangerous short term thinking at its worst.

Because econimic migrants have an annoying tendancy to er migrate where the grass is greener. If it becomes more attractive to work/live in Germany (for example) then that's where all your market supisidised labour will end up.

You can't have it both ways. The problem is what NMW jobs are left simply cannot afford even a basic medium to long term lifestyle in Thatcher's/Blair's rentier Britian, as even the hard working Poles are finding out.

Edited by PopGun