House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mikthe20

Mumbles In Wales (And What To Visit/do)

One maybe for TMT.

Taking the new burd (copyright © ccc) for a weekend in the Mumbles and got posh(ish) hotel booked. Can anyone suggest some decent romantic eateries and anything in particular to do (particularly where to go on a good walk). TIA.

No shopping trips to Swansea or visting sheep in fields please. :P

One maybe for TMT.

Taking the new burd (copyright © ccc) for a weekend in the Mumbles and got posh(ish) hotel booked. Can anyone suggest some decent romantic eateries and anything in particular to do (particularly where to go on a good walk). TIA.

No shopping trips to Swansea or visting sheep in fields please. :P

Rhossili bay and take your surfboard.

You could view some houses with TMT.

Yeah, that is a great idea.

I have been swimming each day this week in Langland bay and will be there tonight. Over the weekend

I might go to Rhossili and Llangennith for a swim - I recommend all 3. I was in Langland last night and swimming in several feet of water which was crystal clear - needed a wetsuit though.

I also recommend Three Cliffs Bay.

Fairyhill, as already mentioned, is a good place to eat, but perhaps can be a tad formal, but I would recommend it. I would also recommend:

http://www.thegreyhoundinnoldwalls.co.uk/ - this does excellent local food such as lamb, welsh beef steaks/burgers, fish. Basically good quality pub food but all locally sourced. It also is its own brewery and I can recommend the real ale and lager - Gower Gold - that they brew.

http://www.britanniainngower.co.uk/ - ditto above but they do not brew their own beer.

I would book to eat at both in the evening but you probably could turn up at lunchtime without a reservation except on the weekends. Along with Fairyhill all 3 are good places to eat after a visit to Rhossili, Llangenith - you pass all 3, more or less, on your journey to/from Llangennith.

Each of these is actually about 15 miles West of Mumbles. If you wish to eat in Mumbles then it all depends what you are after - Indian, Italian, Pizza, Steaks? There is a variety of choice but it is always best to ask the locals once you know what you want as there is good and bad.

If you fancy brekkie in Mumbles then I recommend either Welsh brekkie at Treasure on Newton Road or the brekkie at the Mumbles Pier or the brekkie at 'The Front Room' or at 'The Kitchen Table' a few doors away - both on the Mumbles Road.

In Langland Bay, and nearby Rotherslade Bay, there are two nice cafes - Rotherslade Cafe and Surfers Cafe - which do bacon butties and coffee, soft drinks right on the beach. A few yards away is the Langland Bras which does meals which, although the view is stunning, I would not personally eat there.

Closer into Mumbles there is a place in Bracelet Bay that does OK food but great ice cream and the view is lovely - looking right out over the sea and the lighthouse. Around the corner, just before you get to the pier, is a place called Verdis which is an Italian place that does pizza, coffees and great ice cream sundaes. You can sit inside or outside. It will be packed. I recommend any of the sundaes or their homemade Torte Verdi which is the second best thing to sex.

In Mumbles itself is Joes ice cream parlour - which does not look much but the ice cream is to die for and, believe it or not, people have moved to Mumbles just for Joes.

There are places to eat in Port Eynon but, well, I think I have given you enough for now.

As for places to visit - there is a visitors centre in Mumbles itself - but if you want a good walk then you have a choice of them. A couple of days ago I gave a talk to some Austrians on where to go and what to do.

1. Rhossilli - have to do it. It is stunning. Drive down early in the morning. Pay your £3 to the farmer to pack in his field and walk along the Rhosilli Cliffs to Worms Head. The Cliffs can be dangerous in windy conditions and people do get blown off them and die... so be warned... but on a calm day you can go to the edge of the non-vertical ones, look down and if you are lucky see some basking sharks. The view from the cliffs over Rhossili and Llangennith beaches are stunning - truly stunning!

There is a pub there that does, IMPO, OK pub food but I would not personally eat there. It has a great balcony to sit outside though and admire the view. Around the back of the pub there is a hidden cafe that does nice food and coffee.

The walk to Worms Head is worth it - read the warning signs about crossing over. People die there regularly having ignored the warning signs. The currents are very dangerous.

A lot of people walk from Rhossilli to Llangennith and it is a great walk BUT be warned... Llangennith Bay does not look that far away from Rhosilli Cliffs. It is an optical illusion and it is a good LONG walk for a single day. If you walk from one to the other you will need to work out how to get back to your car as there is no direct bus connection.

IMPO you really need to do Llangennith and Rhossili separately.

I would also take a drive to Llangennith - be careful the roads narrow and narrow... and narrow... and us locals drive like lunatics... and go for a swim and a walk. On the way back from Llangennith I would call into either the Greyhound or Britannia pubs for a meal.

It all depends on how long you will be around - the Britannia has some wonderful North Gower walks nearby it... so that is worth considering also. People focus on South Gower but forget North Gower.

A good walk is driving to Pennard, parking your car there and walking along the cliff tops to Three Cliffs Bay. It will take your breath away and you can look across to Oxwich Bay.

Pop into an estate agent's for a cup of coffee and a chat.

Yes, please go to Simpsons, Gower Coast Properties, John Francis and Dawsons in Mumbles and tell them you are house hunting.

Please report back on how you find things.

Must agree with TMT, Rhossili bay and Worms Head is IMO one of the nicest places in the UK in good weather, Three Cliffs is a nice beach as well - all the more amazing that they're both in Wales! :P

That said, if the new lass is an outdoor girl with her own pair of walking boots and her own wetsuit, it's going to be a lot better weekend, I wouldn't take a high heels and full-make-up-all-the-time girlie down there.

That said, if the new lass is an outdoor girl with her own pair of walking boots and her own wetsuit, it's going to be a lot better weekend, I wouldn't take a high heels and full-make-up-all-the-time girlie down there.

There is a certain opera singer who, from time to time, can be seen walking around the coastal path - dressed up to the nines with full slap on. She appears to not understand that it is about being comfortable and being safe rather than being seen.

But she is not alone - in fact one of the fun things to do is to spot the ladies who think that walking around Gower is a fashion competition.

Going to have to give my swim a miss tonight. Just too knackered. Wish I had not sold my kayak now.

Have to say since TMT put Mumbles on the hpc map, it is the coolest name I've ever heard for a town (is it? or village?).

Have to say since TMT put Mumbles on the hpc map, it is the coolest name I've ever heard for a town (is it? or village?).

It is called Mumbles because the locals are always complaining that their house prices are not expensive enough.

Did I mention the rats?

It is called Mumbles because the locals are always complaining that their house prices are not expensive enough.

Did I mention the rats?

They might complain about house prices, but referring to the locals 'rats' is a bit excessive, old chap. ;)

Yes, please go to Simpsons, Gower Coast Properties, John Francis and Dawsons in Mumbles and tell them you are house hunting.

Please report back on how you find things.

Happy to be a stooge - any low ball offers you'd like me to put in?

Thanks for your detailed reply TMT - some great places there, will definitely check some of them out,

Must agree with TMT, Rhossili bay and Worms Head is IMO one of the nicest places in the UK in good weather, Three Cliffs is a nice beach as well - all the more amazing that they're both in Wales! :P

Thanks for that - sounds great. New burd has got a lovely pair but not sure she's got a wetsuit - will definitely going for a proper yomp/romp though.

Happy to be a stooge - any low ball offers you'd like me to put in?

Thanks for your detailed reply TMT - some great places there, will definitely check some of them out,

Thanks for that - sounds great. New burd has got a lovely pair but not sure she's got a wetsuit - will definitely going for a proper yomp/romp though.

The main Sainsburys on the way into Swansea sells cheap wetsuits if you wanted to swim. The water is fab but you really need a wetsuit. I had a great swim this evening but sunburn and razor rash means I will be unable to again this week. Truly fab swim I had.

The main Sainsburys on the way into Swansea sells cheap wetsuits if you wanted to swim. The water is fab but you really need a wetsuit. I had a great swim this evening but sunburn and razor rash means I will be unable to again this week. Truly fab swim I had.

Thanks for the tip - will pay it a visit.

Thanks for the tip - will pay it a visit.

Judging by all the invites I am getting most of Swansea has taken the day off to go to the beach. Some lovely bikinis on the beach yesterday - and that was just the blokes.

That's the Welsh for you. If you're non-Welsh and can do better than a mumble with Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch you're a bloomin' master linguistcontortionist.

llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.jpg

Reporting back: Had a fantastic weekend in Mumbles. Excellent walks, beaches amazing (went to Wornhead and 3 Cliffs Bay). very good real ale at The Pilot, awesome icecream at Joe's and Verdi, locals very friendly. Big thanks to those who responded - especially TMT. Think we'll aim to go back again and explore the Gower more. Cheers!

That's the Welsh for you. If you're non-Welsh and can do better than a mumble with Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch you're a bloomin' master linguistcontortionist.

llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.jpg

I was taught that when I was 5 or 6 and I've never been able to forget it, despite trying.

Reporting back: Had a fantastic weekend in Mumbles. Excellent walks, beaches amazing (went to Wornhead and 3 Cliffs Bay). very good real ale at The Pilot, awesome icecream at Joe's and Verdi, locals very friendly. Big thanks to those who responded - especially TMT. Think we'll aim to go back again and explore the Gower more. Cheers!

Glad you had a good time.

Forgot to mention The Pilot - it had been closed for years and only re-opened a few months ago after a bloke quit his job to follow his dream of brewing his own.

Oh, and it's just 'Gower' not 'The Gower'

Hmmm. Controversial. We need some hard and fast rules. I have heard it called 'the Gower' myself I tink.

The Mendips. The Thames. The coast.

All require a physical feature...like The Gower peninsula?

I don't know...never thought about it before.

Well, I live there and for locals it has always been Gower (Gwyr in Welsh)

The reason is that Gower in historical times included all of Swansea and a big chunk of the Swansea Valley.

.Thus the reason to say Gower Peninsula to distinguish it from all of Gower.

English visitors call it The Gower for some unfathomed reason

You don't say The Shropshire, The London, etc.

Well, I live there and for locals it has always been Gower (Gwyr in Welsh)

The reason is that Gower in historical times included all of Swansea and a big chunk of the Swansea Valley.

.Thus the reason to say Gower Peninsula to distinguish it from all of Gower.

English visitors call it The Gower for some unfathomed reason

You don't say The Shropshire, The London, etc.

+1.