House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Tesco Sees 5% Drop In Like For Like European Sales Q1

Ever since Asda opened up nearby, I haven't set foot in Tesco for about 6 months now.

What really put me of shopping in Tesco is pricing. Far too often the price of something advertised is incorrect and you end up paying more at the till. I know you can get double the difference back at customer services when this happens, but personally, I hate the hassle of constantly correcting Tesco on their mistakes.

Surprised to read that as Poland's Tesco branches seem busier than before, and they're running another campaign called "Cut!" in Poland too. Queues are definitely lengthier more often these days

Surprised to read that as Poland's Tesco branches seem busier than before, and they're running another campaign called "Cut!" in Poland too. Queues are definitely lengthier more often these days

Easy to explain really. Tesco probably dwarf the local competition in Poland so I imagine they are able to use their scale to out-compete them. In the US though, Wal-Mart are the big cat and I suspect that it's Wal-Mart who are using their scale to elbow Tesco out.

Easy to explain really. Tesco probably dwarf the local competition in Poland so I imagine they are able to use their scale to out-compete them. In the US though, Wal-Mart are the big cat and I suspect that it's Wal-Mart who are using their scale to elbow Tesco out.

Nie.

Tesco are dwarfed by Auchan, Carrefour, Real, and a few others. Other chains have hypermarkets near (ie quarter mile) to Tesco Extras that are probably 20% bigger than Tesco Extras. The problem, if there is one, is that Tesco just ain't cheap enough.

Non competitive pricing (when they can buy products cheaper than local stores), and long queues, few staff and increasing amounts of self service machines. I went in, dumped my shopping and went to the local corner shop instead, last time I set foot in one.

i switched to Sainsburys. I have to say the quality is so much better accross the whole store range. In particular the meat at Tescos was dire imo with chicken breasts full of water.

Tesco highlighed non food electricals margin weakness. Dixons should take note.

Edited by Ash4781