House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

p.p.

Dayz - Anyone Play It On Here

I confess i am totally addicted

any other dayz junkies on here?

No, though it does look very good.

I'm a WoT junkie at the moment (one more game one more game, that one didnt count, its 3am but one more game etc.) so another addictive game is probably the last thing I need :ph34r:

I'm waiting for the standalone version.

At the moment Planetside 2 is the best FPS out there (and it's free to play).

I'm waiting for the standalone version.

At the moment Planetside 2 is the best FPS out there (and it's free to play).

there's a helluva lot more to dayz than a FPS. i guess a lot of people are waiting for the xbox / ps version

I've dabbled. The dying part sucks haha, especially from your human counterparts....sniping motherfvckers!

Best concept for a game in a while, except for the part where you can go offline and become invisible and not suffer starvation/dehydration effects.

Just got back into gaming at the beginning of this year.

Can't put Dirt 3 on the playstation down at the moment. I've been going at it for 5 months and it's still great hurling the Group B rally cars round the tracks.

Have started dipping into some of the online stuff. The lap times posted by some of the people are crazy.

The only think is your back hurts from spending so many hours slumped in front of the monitor. Has anyone got one of those gaming chairs ?

Played it for a while, but the hackers eventually pissed me off too much.

Also spent a lot of time on WoT, but have just about weaned myself off it now

The biggest problem with DayZ is that there are too many sniper-class rifles around. They should be much rarer. Generally people should have normal rifles or handguns.

The biggest problem with DayZ is that there are too many sniper-class rifles around. They should be much rarer. Generally people should have normal rifles or handguns.

Really? Most rifles in the US seem to come with at least a 4x scope. Sure there will be some gallery rifles, but no one really uses iron sights these days do they?

Really? Most rifles in the US seem to come with at least a 4x scope. Sure there will be some gallery rifles, but no one really uses iron sights these days do they?

You can put whatever scope you like on a rifle but it doesn't make it a sniper rifle. Sniper-class weapons have high bullet velocity and travel further with more accuracy and damage.

Also, DayZ is set in Eastern Europe (hence the Russian signs).

I played it for a few months, but after a while I lost interest.

The problem is that for every adrenaline filled moment and heart-stopping experience there are hundreds of moments that are basically boring.

As a solo player, its really hard to progress past the level where you've got a few provisions, a backpack and a rifle because in order to find the better (e.g. military) equipment you have to go out and look for it. And its usually miles away from the start points on the coast (military bases), or spawns randomly (heli crash sites).

Thus you spend hours on end basically walking across fields, down roads or through forests. At any point you could be picked off from range by a sniper and have to start again.

Sure there are vehicles, but these are rare because all the clan players have already scoured the map for them and have horded them back at their base, usually well hidden in the woods somewhere.

Even if you do find one, it will be damaged and again you will have to spend hours walking to and fro to get all the bits to repair it.

There are also big problems with hackers because the architecture is very open and client side scripts can be injected. Being teleported to a random location to be gunned down by a bunch of rogue hackers is a common one. You're never quite sure if the guy you just lost a gun battle to was cheating by using hacking scripts or not which damages the feeling of fairness in the game.

It is a an amazing concept and those brief glimpses of its potential are enough to keep you coming back, at least for a while.

But the current implementation is flawed. Hopefully they will fix all these issues in the standalone. You know about the standalone right ?

I played it for a few months, but after a while I lost interest.

The problem is that for every adrenaline filled moment and heart-stopping experience there are hundreds of moments that are basically boring.

As a solo player, its really hard to progress past the level where you've got a few provisions, a backpack and a rifle because in order to find the better (e.g. military) equipment you have to go out and look for it. And its usually miles away from the start points on the coast (military bases), or spawns randomly (heli crash sites).

Thus you spend hours on end basically walking across fields, down roads or through forests. At any point you could be picked off from range by a sniper and have to start again.

Sure there are vehicles, but these are rare because all the clan players have already scoured the map for them and have horded them back at their base, usually well hidden in the woods somewhere.

Even if you do find one, it will be damaged and again you will have to spend hours walking to and fro to get all the bits to repair it.

There are also big problems with hackers because the architecture is very open and client side scripts can be injected. Being teleported to a random location to be gunned down by a bunch of rogue hackers is a common one. You're never quite sure if the guy you just lost a gun battle to was cheating by using hacking scripts or not which damages the feeling of fairness in the game.

It is a an amazing concept and those brief glimpses of its potential are enough to keep you coming back, at least for a while.

But the current implementation is flawed. Hopefully they will fix all these issues in the standalone. You know about the standalone right ?

I have adopted different strategies for playing dayz according to server.

For the proper 'hive connected' game, i use about 5 servers with 2 being preferred. You have to accept that you are going to get killed at some point, therefore, i set up a lot of tents hidden at various strategic locations that i equip with weapons, food, meds etc.

Also, i use routes in and out of areas that are usually wooded off the beaten track.

re. vehicles, it helps to (mildly cheat) and find spawn locs. You would be surprised how often you can find a vehicle off the beaten track. For instance, outside of zelenogorsk there is a white pickup that only need 1 x tyre and scrap metal to get going and i can find this easily most of the time by logging on/off diff. servers.

also, the heli (little bird) at the NE airfield can be got by doing this (but needs a lot of stuff to repair - hence tents help).

Sometimes, you will get official servers (hive connected) that have multiple heli crash sites - this is christmas come early to me, for finding good gear. my best finds have included the mk48 (always check the nose of the heli), NV goggles etc.

For instant gratification, play on the unconnected servers, use dayzcommander and search for 'vehicles' - one in particular has 1000 vehicles and 100 helis

The worst thing about dayz is the hacker cheats