House Price Crash Forum

Gay Marriage Vote Passed In Upper Chamber

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Stuff the HoL with political appointees and cronies and it loses its ability to be a nothing to lose therefore detached revising chamber there to stop poor law-making. Seems to have become a rubber-stamping chamber.

HOLA445
Seems like the expectation of a tight vote was wrong, it was clearly passed after a couple of days of debate.

Clearly well lubed then... :rolleyes:

It's not law yet, but is well on course it seems.

What (inter)course is that, a n a l? :lol:

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Stuff the HoL with political appointees and cronies and it loses its ability to be a nothing to lose therefore detached revising chamber there to stop poor law-making. Seems to have become a rubber-stamping chamber.

Maybe they thought it was good legislation and werent swayed by narrow minded bigotry?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

The important thing is the rights of the chosen partner, in the event that one dies before the other (quite likely), rather than unwanted nephews you haven't seen for years (with good reason) grabbing all your stuff! :blink: It is a legal partnership, so you have become "family"! Whether this is the same as "marriage", is what seems to worry some!

HOLA4412

Why are so many countries passing gay marriage laws at the same time when there has been no campaigning what so ever for this ?

I have never seen a petition, a march or other sort of campaign yet UK, US, France, NZ are all passing similar laws at the same time.

Serious question, why now ?

HOLA4413

Oo get you.

I was making a point about the function of democracy being compromised.

It's a good point you made about the Lords, every Government is on a race to pack it with Peers they can rely on, many are washed up ex-cabinet ministers, party donors or other Party faithfuls who wouldn't face an electorate for one reason or another. Whether that was evident in the vote we're discussing I couldn't say.

I'd scrap the Lords in all honesty, it's increasingly a mirror of the commons and there are few genuine experts without an axe to grind.

HOLA4414

Why are so many countries passing gay marriage laws at the same time when there has been no campaigning what so ever for this ?

I have never seen a petition, a march or other sort of campaign yet UK, US, France, NZ are all passing similar laws at the same time.

Good question, it was not in the Conservative or Lib Dem manifestos. There has been plenty of campaigning in some quarters, but like HPC you might not see it unless you look. Was pretty obvious that the introduction of civil partnerships would lead to pressure for marriage equality.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I guess its like how lots of countries gave women the vote at roughly the same time. Must be some kind of conspiracy :rolleyes:

HOLA4417

I guess its like how lots of countries gave women the vote at roughly the same time. Must be some kind of conspiracy :rolleyes:

The suffragette movement gave woman the vote, world war 1 led to all men having the vote, civil rights campaigns ended aparthied in southern us states and South Africa.

Thankyou for proving my point, there has been no pressure now on something that go only be seen as a human rights issue.

HOLA4418

Here's a brief summary of why Cameron threw his party under the bus:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/christopherbooker/9859036/Gay-marriage-the-French-connection.html

If you want more detail, search for gay marriage on the EU Referendum blog, which has had a number of articles on the subject over the last few months.

I don't particularly care either way, but it's a spectactularly stupid thing to be concentrating on when the global economy is collapsing around them. At least it means Britain can probably bury the Tory party at last.

Archived