House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Barristers Attack Plans To Cut Legal Aid To Up To 75% Of Defendants

Nice little cartel and a direct tap to taxpayer funds the legal profession has there. Of course they are going to try and protect it.

Apart from criminal cases where the accused should be provided with representation at the lowest possible cost to the taxpayer everything else should be no win no fee.

If the case has merit then lawyers will be falling over themselves to land it. If it doesn't then it will not tie up the courts and legal process..

Lawyers and their ilk are just another leech on taxpayers funds as far as legal aid goes and are looking to protect their free money tap.

If alleged crims want better than state representation then they can fund it themselves..

Judges from District to Crown through High to Appeal in the pecking order are all ex lawyers who have been promoted up the ranks anyway.

Unless the lawyers have alternative work/jobs to do, they will simply have to reduce their rates.

That would be a good thing for those that have or need to use their services.....surprising how many directly or indirectly are reliant on public money one way or another......competition it a good thing is it not. ;)

have to say I've seen/used some brilliant able lawyers in my time.also seen some absolute dross kep in business by legal aid.

Same in all walks of life......the secret is being able to pick the good from the bad......same as its ever been. ;)

Final blow to an independent legal profession. This has been coming since 1993.

Everything below the big stuff in London will be dominated by big corporations that also run the courts system. Good for consumer prices, but the biggest consumers are government and big corporations.

The criminal legal aid budget was cut in N.I last year. Solicitors went on strike, coming off the record. N.I. has the highest legal aid fees in Europe.

Anyway a compromise was reached. It was purely a coincidence that the civil legal aid bill increased by a greater amount than the criminal bill was cut.

Our local solicitors have recently started to instruct Solicitor Advocates on criminal cases. The result being junior council is replaced by a solicitor from the same firm representing the client. The firm gets to bill twice, once with the solicitor, once with the solicitor advocate (+ uplift). The tax payer gets buggered twice. There isn't even a need for junior council in the first place.

Family is ridiculous. I heard of one family with 6 separate solicitors and barristers. All legal aid.

Edited by 2buyornot2buy