House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Aldi Beats Harrods And M&s

article-2334996-1A217C1A000005DC-230_634x423.jpg

Families living on a tight budget already know it pays to shop at Aldi. Now they can say it tastes better too.

The discount supermarket has come out on top in an annual taste test of own-brand foods.

Aldi’s hams, spicy sauces and teas helped the chain to an overall score of 16 gold medals, beating last year’s winner Tesco into second place with 12 golds, followed by Asda which won 11.

16 gold medal winners

And in a mark of its achievement, Aldi’s 99p pack of 40 summer berry herbal tea bags beat the best Harrods has to offer at six times the price – a £5.95 pack of 50 green tea and bergamot tea bags.

Harrods failed to win a single gold.

Upmarket rivals Marks & Spencer scored eight golds and Waitrose won just three in The Grocer magazine’s food awards which all the major supermarkets enter. Products are then subjected to a survey of 12,000 shoppers followed by blind taste tests by experts.

In a year, Aldi has more than doubled its gold count from seven in last year’s contest, while Tesco’s fell from 15 golds in 2012.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2334996/Aldi-beats-Harrods-AGAIN-taste-test-After-gin-champagne-discount-supermarkets-tea-scoops-marks.html

Aldi has become my supermarket of choice this year, edging out my long term favourite of Lidl this year, and this is down to a very good quality of products so it's great to see this recognised.

I sometimes have to shop in the major chains and don't like doing so. Sainsbury and Asda are expensive for what you get and of either inferior or equivalent quality to Aldi / Lidl. and Tesco own brands are cheap but nasty.

I wouldn't eat any of the above products, they are all more or less processed industrial junk.

What happened to preparing your own meal from fresh and raw natural ingredients, am I the only one still doing that?

I wouldn't eat any of the above products, they are all more or less processed industrial junk.

What happened to preparing your own meal from fresh and raw natural ingredients, am I the only one still doing that?

Aldi's fresh and raw natural ingredients are also good but there aren't many awards for that.

They are however useless for frozen veg. One type of mixed veg and one of peas IIRC.

Guest eight

I sometimes have to shop in the major chains and don't like doing so. Sainsbury and Asda are expensive for what you get and of either inferior or equivalent quality to Aldi / Lidl. and Tesco own brands are cheap but nasty.

Yeah, I'm the same. In fact after experimentally trying Lidl one time it was the quality that kept me going back - the prices were something of a bonus. I also used to like how quiet it was, although that's changed for the worse now!

It still staggers me that people do their whole weekly shop in any of the "big four" without ever looking elsewhere.

I agree, I'd eat the cashew nuts, sometimes the bacon and the yoghurt - the rest, meh, maybe once a week a slice of toast from the bread..

If the chocolate is nice and high-cocoa dark then maybe.

I am making a tasty looking recipe from the hairy bikers just now. Probably going to work out at £4 per person.

old spot Pork belly

I am making a tasty looking recipe from the hairy bikers just now. Probably going to work out at £4 per person.

old spot Pork belly

Cooked from fresh?

1 x 250g/9oz ring black pudding
You're lucky getting hold of fresh blood - I have to make do with dried.

Strain it to get the clots out.

Before you start stick a large pan of water in the oven at a med. heat

1lt Blood

340g diced fat

300ml Milk

50g Oatmeal

3 Medium Onions, chopped

1 tbsp Salt

½ tsp Mixed Herbs

½ tsp Cayenne Pepper

Pinch Nutmeg

'From scratch' isn't as easy as it sounds - I do as much as I can but I'd love to have the time (and space) to give it a real go (unfortunately TPTB have put that well out of my reach short of a lottery win. Hey ho :( )

Made sorrel soup yesterday.......now there is something you would be hard pressed to find in any shop.....one of those meals where you feel it is doing good eating it, for only a few pennies. ;)

I am quite happy to leave the production of black pudding to others. :D

I am quite happy to leave the production of black pudding to others. :D

You might want to avoid this fella...

;)

XYY