House Price Crash Forum

Jd Wetherspoon To Open First Motorway Pub

RDW

HOLA441

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-22760874

JD Wetherspoon said it will open its first motorway pub after being given the go-ahead at services on the M40.

The firm said the bar and restaurant will open at Extra in Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire, after a successful application to the local council.

It said its licence allows it to serve alcohol between 08:00 and 01:00.

HOLA442

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-22760874

JD Wetherspoon said it will open its first motorway pub after being given the go-ahead at services on the M40.

The firm said the bar and restaurant will open at Extra in Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire, after a successful application to the local council.

It said its licence allows it to serve alcohol between 08:00 and 01:00.

In Louisiana it would be a Drive-Thru...

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Meh.

These are all over the place in Europe.

Example with Italy's Autogrill; has amazing coffees, sandwiches, and you can top it off with a schnapps or beer if you want.

However, Britain needs to do more about drink drivers. It's bad here with 10k drink driving related casualties annually, so putting these bevvy friendly petrol stations on the grid will only serve to increase these statistics.

HOLA447

Agreed; their pubs in railway stations and airports are great value so can't see this being a problem. Drink driving is falling out of our culture so would be less of a problem than, say, stags on a coach.

They could easily do an alcohol-free JDW if there are problems with licensing, that would be a winner.

HOLA448

They could easily do an alcohol-free JDW if there are problems with licensing, that would be a winner.

I recently had some non-alcoholic Becks and Erdinger (sharing with a mate who can't tolerate alcohol at all) - I was pretty impressed actually, I thought it would be disgusting pish but it was really refreshing and tasted pretty real to me. Odd feeling though finishing a pint or two and still being stone cold sober!

HOLA449

I recently had some non-alcoholic Becks and Erdinger (sharing with a mate who can't tolerate alcohol at all) - I was pretty impressed actually, I thought it would be disgusting pish but it was really refreshing and tasted pretty real to me. Odd feeling though finishing a pint or two and still being stone cold sober!

:o

Wow. You have just made my week. I love wheat beer but it always gets me rapidly pissed so I can't drink much of it. An alcohol-free Erdinger would be perfect for lunchtime or even breakfast.

HOLA4410

I would much rather have a JDW meal, with a pint of anything, than sit on a plastic chair in McDonalds!

Actually some of those German low/zero alc beers are quite good! ;) Obviousy, when the driving is done, I'd like a real beer! :huh:

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Never, ever understood why pub's have such big car parks. It just flies in the face of common sense. Every person parked up in those big car parks is having an orange juice? Do me a favour!

HOLA4414

Never, ever understood why pub's have such big car parks. It just flies in the face of common sense. Every person parked up in those big car parks is having an orange juice? Do me a favour!

The pubs with big car parks are usually those which do decent food.

You're the second person on this thread to associate going in a pub with getting hammered. These days I usually go to a pub to eat, or early evening to have two pints. My days of going out to get pissed around the pubs are mostly behind me owing to the price of beer in pubs and the frequent need to drive. Based on my experience of the last few weeks if the police hung around outside pub car parks hoping to nab drunk drivers they would be sorely disappointed.

HOLA4415

You're the second person on this thread to associate going in a pub with getting hammered. These days I usually go to a pub to eat, or early evening to have two pints. My days of going out to get pissed around the pubs are mostly behind me owing to the price of beer in pubs and the frequent need to drive. Based on my experience of the last few weeks if the police hung around outside pub car parks hoping to nab drunk drivers they would be sorely disappointed.

Pub car parks aren't a recent invention, you can't blame inflation. They've been around for decades and your one swallow anecdotal doesn't hold water or beer I'm afraid.

HOLA4416

Most country type pubs have to sell food to survive....the breweries have the price of drinks so nailed down, that there's no real money in it...Spoons or Hungry Horse can survive, as its effectively reheated microwave type food with bigger margins...They can also dictate to a certain extent, how much they will spend (a la Tesco) on their booze, whereas one man bands don't have this power.....

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Pub car parks aren't a recent invention, you can't blame inflation. They've been around for decades and your one swallow anecdotal doesn't hold water or beer I'm afraid.

Rubbish, it's changed and you clearly don't go to them anymore. Try turning off your computer occasionally.

Ten or even five years ago a standard Friday night for manual workers was 4 - 6 pints and drive home afterwards in the works van. Doesn't happen any more in my direct experience.

HOLA4419

Rubbish, it's changed and you clearly don't go to them anymore. Try turning off your computer occasionally.

Ten or even five years ago a standard Friday night for manual workers was 4 - 6 pints and drive home afterwards in the works van. Doesn't happen any more in my direct experience.

I've heard of a couple of people round me who do it...they drive for a living too.

HOLA4420

On the other hand some quite remote pubs up on t'moors have closed here in West Yorkshire. Clearly the walker/cyclist trade wasn't enough, or for that matter the "Sunday lunch" trade.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

:o

Wow. You have just made my week. I love wheat beer but it always gets me rapidly pissed so I can't drink much of it. An alcohol-free Erdinger would be perfect for lunchtime or even breakfast.

Found it in the local Tescos.

I think its good because of German beer purity laws. Some of the other 0%alc beverages were astonishing in their list of dubious ingredients.

HOLA4423

Found it in the local Tescos.

I think its good because of German beer purity laws. Some of the other 0%alc beverages were astonishing in their list of dubious ingredients.

German purity laws do occasionally have their negative side though.

HOLA4424

Seen a few that have electricity posts and rent the space out to campers for a few pounds a night a camping ready customer.....saw four horses tied up the other day rode to the pub for a pint. ;)

HOLA4425

Archived