House Price Crash Forum

Vast Shale Gas Discovery In Cheshire '20 Times Bigger Than Previously Estimated'

"Our estimates for our area alone could mean that the UK would not have to import gas for a period of 10 to 15 years," said IGas chief executive Andrew Austin.

Hurrah, my children's future is secure!

I wonder what any geologists make of this.

From what I heard on D4 this morning - I think the hacks haven't read the report properly.

Even if the reserves are higher - the media have taken up this P10 forecast - which statistically speaking is almost certain to be incorrect.

Also - for shale gas, the EROEI is important too.

Hurrah, my children's future is secure!

This is one companies block alone...

That said, there is still significant uncertainty over what reserves are in place and how easy they will be to extract. We will only get more info on this with time.

Shale gas is coming and if it has the same impact as in the US it will bring major economic change to the UK.

I wonder what any geologists make of this.

From what I heard on D4 this morning - I think the hacks haven't read the report properly.

Even if the reserves are higher - the media have taken up this P10 forecast - which statistically speaking is almost certain to be incorrect.

Also - for shale gas, the EROEI is important too.

There are a lot of qualifiers.. we'll know much better after it's been in production for a few years.

For some reason he government seems to like it.

That said, there is still significant uncertainty over what reserves are in place and how easy they will be to extract. We will only get more info on this with time.

Shale gas is coming and if it has the same impact as in the US it will bring major economic change to the UK.

It'll bring major economic change to a couple of shale gas companies.

For a couple of years.

Then what?

Edit: Article graphic says 30-80% of the 'injected liquid' i.e. water, remains in the shale. So, errr......who needs water anyway huh. Not like it's useful for anything.........

Edited by R K

George Osborne obviously picked a very good time to sell his Cheshire home last year...

This is going to be bigger NIMBY entertainment than HS2.

If this does indeed turn out to be big (I have some doubts), don't expect any major gas price falls as the UK has suitable gas distribution network unlike the US - it could easily end up being exported to the continent if the economics are right.

Watermill?

That thing .... a heat pump.... is a joke. 5l of day with 25 < T < 40°, 60% humidity, plus requires electricity to run a compressor, plus some kind of refrigerant, probably 134a...

It's not going to be good on electricity, nor good for the environment as it requires electricity to run (from what source!) and is made of all kinds of toxic crap.

Only if our betters stop trying to tax energy and energy use so heavily. I expect the government will exploit any fall in wholesale gas prices by using taxes to ensure household bills continue to rise (to encourage us to use less). Successful recovery of shale gas = big source of revenue for the government.

They have a helpful graphic on their website of where they're fracking.

For anyone who may be considering sinking their capital into a home in that area

http://www.igasplc.c...eweoperate.aspx#

IGas share price had halved since start of year before this announcement.

Funny that.

http://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/LON:IGAS/index/shares

Edited by R K

Successful recovery of shale gas = big source of revenue for the government. Halliburton and Gidiot's fathers other energy company pals...

For maybe a year from each of the 100,000 or so wells that will be required.

FFS. People are just so blinkered. This 'fracked' gas then needs to be processed via liquefaction, and that requires a shed load of energy.

Welcome to 'fracking' England!

_66189399_frackgo033m(2).jpg

Edited by cashinmattress

It'll bring major economic change to a couple of shale gas companies.

For a couple of years.

Then what?

Edit: Article graphic says 30-80% of the 'injected liquid' i.e. water, remains in the shale. So, errr......who needs water anyway huh. Not like it's useful for anything.........

Helps explain the wider impact :

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4fe91278-9d29-11e2-88e9-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2V9d521FY

You can google economic effects of shale gas if you need more info.

There is plenty of water available in the UK, espceically if we choose to use it constructively.

Helps explain the wider impact :

http://www.ft.com/cm...l#axzz2V9d521FY

You can google economic effects of shale gas if you need more info.

There is plenty of water available in the UK, espceically if we choose to use it constructively.

Is there bobbins.

Southerners are already having to steal it from oop north to meet their needs.

http://www.elementfour.com/products/the-watermill

So your solution to the threat of GW is to let us run out of gas and oil?

The only solution to GW is to stop using fossil fuels (like the only solution to putting on weight is to limit your food intake to less than you use up; to alcoholism is to stop drinking, etc.). We either go on the diet, or we (mainly our children and our children's children - another boomerism?) suffer the consequences,

Peter.

So your solution to the threat of GW is to let us run out of gas and oil?

It's a large scale program of breeder reactors. However, it appears that we must try every other option first.