House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mrs Bear

Vat Rip Off

For info: just went to collect present from sister in US, had to go to RM office since 'duty' payable. Couldn't understand why, since a gift, but apparently VAT is payable on gifts over £36. And sister had put $60 on the form. I had thought the limit was £50 but could be wrong.

Anyway, bloody annoying, not just VAT but £8 RM 'handling fee' + having to go and pick it up.

Anyone with relatives likely to send them anything from abroad, warn them to lie on the form if necessary!

For info: just went to collect present from sister in US, had to go to RM office since 'duty' payable. Couldn't understand why, since a gift, but apparently VAT is payable on gifts over £36. And sister had put $60 on the form. I had thought the limit was £50 but could be wrong.

Anyway, bloody annoying, not just VAT but £8 RM 'handling fee' + having to go and pick it up.

Anyone with relatives likely to send them anything from abroad, warn them to lie on the form if necessary!

I couldnt do my VAT return last quarter due to my accident and being unable to sit and sortout the paperwor etc etc.

rang VAT, and they said I would pass the online deadline in a week....I told them I hoped to have recovered by then, but found out the submission site was down for a few days before my deadline.

I couldnt do it, and they said dont worry, I paid part of the assessment ( that which they check you are paying when you submit a return) and said to speak to them when ready, she said to ignore the threatening letters...

Had two so far.

the people are fine....the "system" is shiite.

Don't forget that VAT is payable on the postage too.

$20 widget and $30 postage, and you're over the VATable limit.

not so. the limit is the price of the item.

under the limit you pay nothing.

over the limit and you pay vat on the price *shipping included*,

which is rip-off enough.

This is feckin silly. I usually send parcels of presents to family, but if this is going to happen it's online vouchers, or I'll just bring them over myself one trip.

Idiot moneygrabbers.

not so. the limit is the price of the item.

under the limit you pay nothing.

over the limit and you pay vat on the price *shipping included*,

which is rip-off enough.

Interesting. I definitely got stung for something which would have come under the limit if it was item only.

Maybe I got scammed... Oh well, it's one to watch out for next time.

I got stung by this recently too on a shipment from Amazon Canada.

Nothing you can do there, alas.

I send presents to US every Christmas. Don't know what their limit is but always lie shamlessly about cost, and then wonder if anyone will wonder why I'm spending even more on postage than

what the presents have cost. Though usually at least one is a low-value item for niece, into which I have slipped $100. Always OK so far, fingers Xed.

They're getting smart about the lies now too.

I used to sporadically buy guitars from the USA and get them to put on the customs forms "returning guitar to owner following repairs" and avoided duty.

Last year they started asking for proof of it being sent to the USA in the first place.

Money grabbing gits.

I used to sporadically buy guitars from the USA and get them to put on the customs forms "returning guitar to owner following repairs" and avoided duty.

Last year they started asking for proof of it being sent to the USA in the first place.

Money grabbing gits.

Yes. I have always paid all my taxes - in fact more than I needed to - but I am slowly but surely coming down to a maximum tax avoidance approach. All legal, of course, but the lies and troughing and failure of the government to even try to treat the economy in a rational way has changed my outlook on supporting the buggers entirely. This example of snatching money off gift receivers just takes the biscuit. Non progressive, randomly applied, and easily avoided by the rich (they just give each other houses wrapped in trusts).

bugger the taxman.

To whom it may concern....would be very grateful if you do not send any tangible presents at this present time. ;)

This is feckin silly. I usually send parcels of presents to family, but if this is going to happen it's online vouchers, or I'll just bring them over myself one trip.

Some countries have a very low VAT-free limit for stuff that a foreign citizen can bring in. For example, someone who is not a US Citizen or permanent resident is only allowed to bring $100-worth of stuff that will remain in the US permanently, compared to $800-worth for someone who is:

sample-us-customs-form-back-page.jpg

I suppose you could claim that the item in question is part of your personal effects and will be be taken back out of the country with you, but if it's clearly a new and/or gift-wrapped item, Uncle Sam might not buy that explanation.

Money grabbing gits.

I did buy a guitar from the USA once! I did have to pay the import duty!

CDs/ DVDs can be random. Some sellers are more honest than others and do the paperwork properly! Hence VAT, plus the £8 "handling charge"! Especially if you order a whole boxed set! A single disk just comes through the letterbox.

Got away with £19 last week. First time I purchased non restricted pharmaceuticals

( Ventolin ) in bulk to adjust for the increase in price from the South Seas. Normally take 10 days to arrive by Air Mail but only took 3 days on this order. Received a card to collect as it was too large to put in the letterbox, showed ID and was handed the parcel with no comment.

VAT free up to £15 but VAT due @ 20% if over.

I can`t believe that Medicines are subject to VAT.

[i'm often asked to mark items shipping to Norway as gift and under £18.

I don't.

[i'm often asked to mark items shipping to Norway as gift and under £18.

I don't.

The insurance only covers wholesale value not retail value as I understand, so I would have no qualms about declaring the wholesale value of goods sent.