House Price Crash Forum

Top Tip For Dealing With Salt Water Crocs In Your House

HOLA441

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22713899

A 2m predator found wandering around a living room near Darwin was apprehended by a wildlife ranger, who leaped on to its back before it was safely removed.

The official advice for startled homeowners finding such a supremely aggressive animal by the sofa is to stay clear and not to attempt to wrestle it themselves, and report the unexpected intrusion immediately.

Today's top tip I feel.

HOLA442

Mr B and I were in Darwin back in Feb - saw masses of salties though not perhaps surprising when in a boat attracting them by hanging lumps of buffalo meat over the side. Salties then jump out of water to grab them. Some of them were huge, 4-5M. The sea looks lovely in Darwin, but you can't go in it, you can't walk along the river banks. In the dry season apparently it's not uncommon for people to find them in their swimming pools.

Day we left, front page headline in local paper was CROC EATS DOG. Neighbour saw him jump in the river for a swim. A very very short swim. :(

2 kids also apparently taken in the area within the previous few months. :(:(

HOLA443

Mr B and I were in Darwin back in Feb - saw masses of salties though not perhaps surprising when in a boat attracting them by hanging lumps of buffalo meat over the side. Salties then jump out of water to grab them. Some of them were huge, 4-5M. The sea looks lovely in Darwin, but you can't go in it, you can't walk along the river banks. In the dry season apparently it's not uncommon for people to find them in their swimming pools.

Day we left, front page headline in local paper was CROC EATS DOG. Neighbour saw him jump in the river for a swim. A very very short swim. :(

2 kids also apparently taken in the area within the previous few months. :(:(

A friend from New Orleans visited me last year. One evening we went for a walk by the river. She told me it was nice to be able to go for a walk by the river, because where she comes from, you would be at risk from being attacked by an alligator.

Perhaps we are lucky in the UK to have exterminated almost all 'pests', but I do feel life in Britain lacks a certain frisson of excitement sometimes.

I sometimes intentionally release a wasp in my living room. Not quite Running of the Bulls in Pamplona, but one has to live dangerously, and I feel vibrant and alive once it has chased me round the room a couple of times.

HOLA444

Perhaps we are lucky in the UK to have exterminated almost all 'pests', but I do feel life in Britain lacks a certain frisson of excitement sometimes.

Not so sure about that. A few years ago now, walking my parents dogs in the country had a very nasty run in with a herd of cows. Lucky to get out of the field alive without being crushed or trampled to death.

Apparently a few ramblers a year cop it a year from cows.

HOLA445

Not so sure about that. A few years ago now, walking my parents dogs in the country had a very nasty run in with a herd of cows. Lucky to get out of the field alive without being crushed or trampled to death.

Cows and dogs are a very bad combination.

HOLA446

It's their own fault for marrying them!

BA-DUM!!!

*didn't even bring a coat*

HOLA447

The dog is the key, the cows aren't bothered about you.

Leave the dog to fend for itself and you'll be fine.

HOLA448

Not sure about that. Had an incident myself few weeks back so had a Google about how to deal with cows in your way. Interesting towed quite a lot of people saying they had found them acting different recently re. Humans around them.

Quite a few people been actually chased by them recently. One bloke died just a few weeks back.

Someone had a great line though. This is what happens when nature gives something that weighs a ton - the brainpower of a duck :lol:

HOLA449

I sometimes intentionally release a wasp in my living room. Not quite Running of the Bulls in Pamplona, but one has to live dangerously, and I feel vibrant and alive once it has chased me round the room a couple of times.

:D

You'd have liked the hornets we were getting in our apartment a few years back - bodies about 2 inches long, like wasps on super-steroids.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Yes. Although a couple of more tips:

1) If faced with a choice of walking through a field containing a herd of cows, or through a field containing a single cow, choose the field with the herd. The single cow isn't a cow.

2) In spring & summer, if you encounter a cow and her calf, don't walk between them.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

A friend from New Orleans visited me last year. One evening we went for a walk by the river. She told me it was nice to be able to go for a walk by the river, because where she comes from, you would be at risk from being attacked by an alligator.

Personally I do without the sort of excitement you'd get from salties lurking all over the place. Or anything orrible in the sea, come to that. Went to stay with sister on Cape Cod last Sept - perfect weather, only absolutely NOBODY was in the sea - loads of Great Whites about, no doubt after the unusual mass of seals. Of course Mr Macho B was all set on going in anyway, until sister persuaded him that it really, REALLY wouldn't be very clever.

It was like Jaws all over again.

HOLA4414

I'm working up to your level, using a medium sized, but lively bluebottle.

HOLA4415

A few years back I landed my paramotor in an L shaped field and hadn't seen the herd of cows tucked away at the one end, unclipped and turned to see a stampede coming my way. Never in my life have was I so keen to get back in my seat and fly away, first attempt thankfully and almost kicking their heads as my feet left the ground. Really close call.

I used to walk through my godfathers fields all the time as a youngster and if cows showed intent I'd charge them first which had them dissipating every time.

If it was a croc or an alligator I guess I'd just have to wrestle it to the ground.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Archived