House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pjw

High Price For Starting A Boom

Good article by Roger Bootle yesterday in Telegraph at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/rogerbootle/10094859/As-safe-as-houses-There-could-be-a-high-price-to-pay-for-creating-a-boom.html

I fear a heavy price will be paid for whatever recovery the Government’s measures may bring in the housing market. If they cannot get property prices into line with earnings then, when interest rates have to go up, there will be a crash in the market which will cause untold misery to many people – and force losses on the taxpayer through ill-judged mortgage guarantees.

It comes year 2016

If conservative got elected and the economy and house price crash :> We are left with the largest debt blah blah blah

If Labour got elected and house price crash :-> The conservative and the Dems caused it blah blah blah and prominent ConDem will be on the board of director of a bank, a property company or that sort. Obviously Labour has not stood up to say no to such a scheme (Labour complains about some of the details of the scheme, but otherwise happy with the meddling to go on)

National interest is irrelevant, getting elected and invited onto yachts are.

Headline should read High Price For Hanging onto a Boom. Market forces haven't been allowed an economic reset and we zombie along with zero growth, six years on from the bust.

Incredible to think that in the Great Depression the contraction only lasted four years from 1929-33 (in the US) and growth resumed from year 4 at 5% + for the rest of the decade. Now at year 6 and we are still bloody waiting for growth as we hang on and even reflate boom values.

Edited by crashmonitor

Headline should read High Price For Hanging onto a Boom. Market forces haven't been allowed an economic reset and we zombie along with zero growth, six years on from the bust.

Incredible to think that in the Great Depression the contraction only lasted four years from 1929-33 (in the US) and growth resumed from year 4 at 5% + for the rest of the decade. Now at year 6 and we are still bloody waiting for growth as we hang on and even reflate boom values.

according to sources,the great depression ended weeks after they gave up trying to fix it.

But wasn't the great depression more of a crash? (I don't know I am genuinely asking). Would you rather have no job for 4 years or low pay rises for 6 years?

But wasn't the great depression more of a crash? (I don't know I am genuinely asking). Would you rather have no job for 4 years or low pay rises for 6 years?

We will have to see how long zero growth continues to decide whether intervention was the better option. Meanwhile, I guess many priced out young people and saddled with bail out debts for decades might have preferred short term pain.

How about low pay rises for six years then no job at all for the next twenty? Unless our debts - private and public - are brought down sharply this country will race headlong into national bankruptcy. Running a 7% primary deficit year-on-year to generate 0.5% GDP growth?

Tick tock. :ph34r:

chart-3.jpg

It comes year 2016

If conservative got elected and the economy and house price crash :> We are left with the largest debt blah blah blah

If Labour got elected and house price crash :-> The conservative and the Dems caused it blah blah blah and prominent ConDem will be on the board of director of a bank, a property company or that sort. Obviously Labour has not stood up to say no to such a scheme (Labour complains about some of the details of the scheme, but otherwise happy with the meddling to go on)

National interest is irrelevant, getting elected and invited onto yachts are.

What's 'National interest' when it's at home?!

Not a "boom" but a "bubble."

A house building "boom" would solve a lot of problems unless you are NIMBY or Simon Jenkins.

Are there still no details on the second part of the Help2Sell policy?

Is it possible it'll get pulled. Or Gidiot will be quietly moved before it comes in.