House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

scepticus

Nextdoor.com Coming To Uk In 2014

"Nextdoor.com is a free platform which allows neighbours to network at a local level. Although the site launched in 2011, it has only recently begun to gain momentum in the United States and has gained £27 million of financial backing in the last year alone. The next door that Nextdoor will be knocking on is Britain with the site expected to launch some time in 2014.

Read more: http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/201438/nextdoorcom-is-coming-to-a-neighbourhood-near-you.html#ixzz2V5gsDtAd"

Floats my boat in a way that facebook never did.

Discuss.

"Nextdoor.com is a free platform which allows neighbours to network at a local level. Although the site launched in 2011, it has only recently begun to gain momentum in the United States and has gained £27 million of financial backing in the last year alone. The next door that Nextdoor will be knocking on is Britain with the site expected to launch some time in 2014.

Read more: http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/201438/nextdoorcom-is-coming-to-a-neighbourhood-near-you.html#ixzz2V5gsDtAd"

Discuss.

How am I supposed to **** off the whole of the Internet safely now?

Interesting concept and one that I think could do a lot to restore a sense of community.

I went to a community event today aimed at raising money to improve the local park (presumably because the evil Tory council has sacked it off). It was promoted via leaflets and lots of the local twitter attention seekers. Do I really have to engage in yet another online social medium?

They wanted donations but as I reflected on my rental tenure, I thought, "****** them". How's that for community? (Nought to house prices in 5 posts.)

Discuss.

Why?

Seems strangely self-limiting.

Let's say you, plus 1 each side of you. That's 3 people. At least 1 of whom you already know.

(on a slightly more serious note, why can't you FB with your next door neighbour or have a chat whilst washing your front step? Why would you want to join a website to talk to him. That's just f*cking weird)

Why?

Seems strangely self-limiting.

Let's say you, plus 1 each side of you. That's 3 people. At least 1 of whom you already know.

(on a slightly more serious note, why can't you FB with your next door neighbour or have a chat whilst washing your front step? Why would you want to join a website to talk to him. That's just f*cking weird)

I wonder how many times "turn the ^^^ing music down" will appear in posts? :D

Interesting as building these little communities was really useful on Facebook 5 years ago. Not now with the monumental blitz of crap FB has become.

Good luck to them, but spam is still spam even if it's local.

Would be handy for remembering the neighbours names I suppose. Rather than "those people up the road with the weird dog", you will know that they are called "mr_sex_pest74" and "hello_kitty69". Oh, that's not overly useful.

Interactions with your neighbours is surely one of those things that you don't need the internet for? After all, neighbours are the very definition of something that is on your doorstep. The other problem is that the socially incontinent will do their usual unthinking on-line ramblings, and be very surprised when "mr_sex_pest74" show up at the door with a baseball bat....

Interesting as building these little communities was really useful on Facebook 5 years ago. Not now with the monumental blitz of crap FB has become.

Good luck to them, but spam is still spam even if it's local.

Exactly. Even FB cannot monetize, what can these guys do?

The other problem is that the socially incontinent will do their usual unthinking on-line ramblings, and be very surprised when "mr_sex_pest74" show up at the door with a baseball bat....

Yes, that was my wife's reaction!

However the 'neighbourhood' that can be setup can be of varying size and could range from a single street in an urban area to a fairly large rural area incorporating multiple villages and primary schools (like where I live).

You can only join such a network once nextdoor.com have verified your address. I'm not sure whether you profile is linked to a publicly visible (for validated members of your network) street address.

Here is a review:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/breyeschow/2012/10/17/review-nextdoor-com/

Not only is it a useful for finding babysitters, childcare, local restaurant reviews by people you know (or more likely friends of friends etc) but also useful for setting up and recruiting for sports clubs and so on.

Also a potentially perfect platform for setting up and running peer to peer credit networks like ripplepay.

Can you imagine what this will be like in the UK come local elections - local councillors blowing BS up in every network!

Going around to your neighbours house for a chat and a drink too difficult?

But getting to go around your neighbours' neighbours' neighbours might be for some. Overall, I think it's positive.

I like playing chess. If this network would let me find out that someone round the block also likes playing chess, then that is probably something I never would have discovered 'the old way'.

In time, there might be enough of us to have a small impromptu club.

In time, that might grow because casual players round about might be able to see when we plan to meet and who is planning to be there.

Likewise for other activities like an informal sunday cycling excursion or whatever.

Probably more effective than the local church or village hall/local pub notice board.

I like playing chess. If this network would let me find out that someone round the block also likes playing chess, then that is probably something I never would have discovered 'the old way'.

In time, there might be enough of us to have a small impromptu club.

In time, that might grow because casual players round about might be able to see when we plan to meet and who is planning to be there.

Likewise for other activities like an informal sunday cycling excursion or whatever.

Probably more effective than the local church or village hall/local pub notice board.

Surely you have a local chess club in the 'whats on' part of your local newspaper?

Forgive my cynicism for a moment.

Looks like the first potential contender to be the next My Space Facebook. Except this time they don't just force you to use your real name, they get a verified street address too. I fully agree this can be a useful tool in the way it is intended. However it's merely a shinier tool in place of other solutions that have been on the web for a decade. For instance there are already towns/cities which have frequently visited forums run privately helping people to know their community and chat. They can be completely effective with the right minded owners but lack the budget and marketing impact of sites like Next-door. Of course the reason for the big funds and marketing is simple - they will monetize one day, at which point everyone will complain the site is changing, amidst issues over privacy. The company makes an okay profit and eventually a new site will poach all the customers with it's 'free' shinier new approach and the cycle repeats.

I think it would be far more satisfying to build up a site for your community and find ways to attract users. If I ever stop anywhere long enough myself I might give it a go.

Maybe not enough to justify their IPO valuation but enough to run a profitable business.

I'm not so sure. I wonder if FB tried to "scale down" its efforts and tried to concentrate on its core profitable business instead of constantly expanding its tentacles, whether its profits would remain the same or shrink in proportion.

I don't know how the site works exactly, and like Scepticus I think it could be excellent for discovering local people who like the same thing like chess or whatever, but doesn't it also pose a security risk?

Neighbours can also be bad guys.

'm not so sure. I wonder if FB tried to "scale down" its efforts and tried to concentrate on its core profitable business instead of constantly expanding its tentacles, whether its profits would remain the same or shrink in proportion.

Facebook is like a shark - it has to keep moving or it will die. If it does not add new stuff to entertain people, then it will wither.

I've seen the demise of Facebook in my 14 year old godson. While he has a Facebook page, he doesn't do anything with it - because "no one is on Facebook". The whole idea of "curating your life" is alien to him, what he wants to do is find out what his mates are doing right now - and the tool for that is apparently IM or BBM or Twitter.

Facebook is like a shark - it has to keep moving or it will die. If it does not add new stuff to entertain people, then it will wither.

I've seen the demise of Facebook in my 14 year old godson. While he has a Facebook page, he doesn't do anything with it - because "no one is on Facebook". The whole idea of "curating your life" is alien to him, what he wants to do is find out what his mates are doing right now - and the tool for that is apparently IM or BBM or Twitter.

I think FB aims more for the mid twenties plus ages - upto leaving uni IM is much more important.

I find that not using a car is a very good way to meet people in the immediate locality. Well, that and drinking in the local pub.

For common interests in the wider area, I find that using general hobbyist forums turns up people living near by who are into the same stuff.

Can't see the need to hand over shed loads of personal data to a US Corp intend of making money out me.