House Price Crash Forum
Wankan

Land Registry Are Wrong

Please bear with me , I explain things badly .

Assuming sites like houseprices.co.uk and nethouseprices.co.uk etc all get their data from the Land Registry , I may have found an anomally .

If you had time and went to http://www.landreg.gov.uk/propertyprice/in...e/ppr_ualbs.asp you could do a search on RG4 and you'd see that in postcode area RG45 7 there were 16 houses sold in the 3 months to Sept'05 .

There were :

6 Detached at £390583

10 Semi's at £236750

Now , if you go to http://www.houseprices.co.uk like I did , and do a drill down search (which takes a while) on RG45 7 you will see that there were also 16 houses sold :

3 Detached at £280,500

10 Semi's at £236,750

2 Terraced at £256500

1 Flat at £230,000

It's interesting the category changes B)

Replying to myself , this is sad :lol:

And didn't some LR monthly figures come out really late , due to a database problem . July's figures ?

Interesting stuff. Please see my thread about "knee jerks" for a suggestion that LR figures are no more revealing than EA's figures.

VP

I think the Land Registry figures are accurate.

They are mixed though, Wales/Scotland still seems to have a lot of hot air in the market. South West/Midlands stagnant or falling. New builds falling, new build flats were down over 5% YoY I believe (on a 2/3 bed £200k flat that's a nice 10K+ with more to follow i suspect ). I think the falling volumes are the precursor to more falls or furtehr stagnation. The onlly price band to see an increase in volume was the 100k to 120k category. I guess that's because that is all most new buyers can afford.

The worry is the resurgance in London prices, as they traditionally 'ripple' out accross the country.

http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/assets/libr...ppr_q3_2005.pdf

"I think the Land Registry figures are accurate"

Did you go to the Land registry website and compare their quarterly figures with the individual house sale prices ??

No ?

Someone is playing with the classifications .

I just bored myself with RG8 0 .

LR says :

Detached 12 £435250

Semi 7 £306350

Terrace 0 £ 0

Flats 3 £133000

Individual analysis says :

Detached 8 £412,250

Semi 6 £308,658

Terrace 0 £ 0

Flats 0 £ 0

Well I find it kinda interesting :)

I find it very interesting too...Can you compare actual postcodes from either site to see which properties do not cross reference? I would loooove there to be a story. <_<

Btw. Did you "look" for examples that showed bias towards higher averages in order to prove a conspiracy? or Are there discrepancies where the LR figures skew the results away from the higher average theory?

I find it very interesting too...Can you compare actual postcodes from either site to see which properties do not cross reference? I would loooove there to be a story. <_<

Btw. Did you "look" for examples that showed bias towards higher averages in order to prove a conspiracy? or Are there discrepancies where the LR figures skew the results away from the higher average theory?

I haven't compared individual prices between LR and houseprices.co.uk as LR want £2 per house enquiry .

I haven't done anything to compare averages etc as it takes such a lot of time doing things manually postcode by postcode . It's too boring and makes my head spin :lol: . Wish someone had a tool to extract the sold price data from houseprices.co.uk or where ever .

I did a long-winded (for me) reply and something timed out and I lost it . Pah !! :blink:

Hopefully you'll be able to see the attached jpg's which are a comparison between the individual sold prices per houseprices.co.uk and the quarterly data available at the LR http://www.landreg.gov.uk/propertyprice/in...e/ppr_ualbs.asp .

Some agree , like the semi's sold . so why shouldn't the rest ?

Where have I gone wrong ?

Land_Registry.jpg

Detached.jpg

Semi.jpg

Terraced.jpg

Flat.jpg

post-3081-1132422897_thumb.jpg

post-3081-1132423033_thumb.jpg

post-3081-1132423085_thumb.jpg

post-3081-1132423112_thumb.jpg

post-3081-1132423180_thumb.jpg

Must have been a forced sale. I have to sympathise because that would be worth about 270k-280k by this time next year i reckon.

But if the market is booming Jack, forced sale or not, surely the price would be higher than 2 years ago?

Ahhhh - but it's different this time! Bust is the new boom! We might have to classify the sale as "deferred gains" as opposed to "drop"

Oh - forgot, you're a TROLL so please ignore the above. :lol::lol::lol:

Has your carer gone down the pub Jack?

Must have been a forced sale. I have to sympathise because that would be worth about 270k-280k by this time next year i reckon.

What about this one , in a different area .

Per LR =

17/12/2002 £555,000 Flat L/H Map 45, Holland Gardens, Hounslow, Brentford, Greater London, TW8 0BE

Just sold at auction for £374,000 , looks like a Halifax repo . See attached :

45_Holland_Gardens_Brentford.jpg

post-3081-1132445557_thumb.jpg

I think the Land Registry figures are accurate.

Oh you do do you ;)

Well our local paper " The Craven Herald" do a quarterly review using LR data to show how prices are going compared to previous quarters [totals averaged].

Now the LR data for the Third Quarter [according to the Craven Herald] for the postcode in which our last house [which we completed on 1st July 2005] was 6 detached houses with an average price of £300,866. However the sale of our house @ £249.950 which was completed on 1st July 2005 has yet to appear on the LR data. If it did then the average detached price would then have been recorded in the Craven Herald as £293,592. [ My solicitor states its the buyers solicitors responsability to send the sale/purchase details to the LR]

Of course on such a small sample it only takes one really expensive house being sold to pump the average up. Theres an old saying don't believe every thing you read in the papers [or in print for that matter]

Now if you go to Our Property.comand ask for the 2005 LR data for that postcode [bD20 9] it says there was a total of 12 detached houses sold from the beginning of January to the end of September at an average of £282.187

Myself I don't take LR averages to seriously because I know the data is flawed, plus it's historical. To better understand where the markets going right now, look at what those who make their living out of selling houses are offering BUILDERS. All I see is cash discounts to the tune of tens of thousands being offered, plus stamp duty paid if you can exchange by Xmas, and help with moving and legal fees. Oh and they will take your house in part ex as well, now does that look like they have confidence in this market going forward, well does it ? :unsure:

Nows the time when frustrated FTB'ers and mugs who should know better get sucked into a market running out of steam, prior to it going into the correction phase.......no it wont happen overnight they never do, housing markets correct over a period of years. But that said if your desperate to own a depreciating asset over the next few years, now could be a good time to snap up one of those offers :rolleyes:

Edit: Just been looking at LR for the small town I lived in , a new build 4 bed detached offered for sale @ £285,000 by the builder has just been recorded at LR as being sold on 20th July for £249,999......what did I tell ya....where builders lead the greedy home owner vendors will have to follow :D

Edited by Catch22