House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jfk

Off License Price Deflation

Just been to the offy (bargain booze) on the way back home from the park with the kids (don't worry - they got an ice cream out of it!!!)

... was perusing the beers, I remember last time I bought a 4 pack of Becks it was £5.50 - today it was £5, a 9% decrease in price.

The owner mentioned that things are really tough, people aren't buying, he's having to put lots of 'special offers' on...

Just been to the offy (bargain booze) on the way back home from the park with the kids (don't worry - they got an ice cream out of it!!!)

... was perusing the beers, I remember last time I bought a 4 pack of Becks it was £5.50 - today it was £5, a 9% decrease in price.

The owner mentioned that things are really tough, people aren't buying, he's having to put lots of 'special offers' on...

Noticed four cans of Stella for £3.75 promo at local Co-op (garage) just now.

Think we are becoming a t-total nation or brewing our own.

Noticed four cans of Stella for £3.75 promo at local Co-op (garage) just now.

Think we are becoming a t-total nation or brewing our own.

Yeah I noticed the same in the co-op - but it was the stella 4%, I did buy a 4 pack on friday - it was pretty chemically tasting actually. "Normal" stella (well it's not 5.2% anymore is it?) was still £4.50.

At Morrisons last week I noticed their offer of '3 ales for £4.50' had returned. Yay! B)

:unsure: I thought that the Government was going to do to alcohol what they have done to houses - price them out of reach of us mere mortals.

Just make sure what you are buying isn't counterfeit. Bargain Booze is a franchise if I remember correctly and the one nearest to me got closed down last year for selling fake vodka to a young female which blinded her. The retailer appeared nice enough but that can be deceiving.

AFAIC I'll stick to the supermarkets.

Just make sure what you are buying isn't counterfeit. Bargain Booze is a franchise if I remember correctly and the one nearest to me got closed down last year for selling fake vodka to a young female which blinded her. The retailer appeared nice enough but that can be deceiving.

AFAIC I'll stick to the supermarkets.

:blink:

Good point, I'll have to keep an eye for that!

Normally I'd get the ale in at Aldi - they do Hobgoblin bottles of ale for £1.50 (the local branch of Quality Save does them even cheaper for £1.30!!!!) and those large 660ml bottle of Becks for £1.50 each - bargain!!!

£5 for 4 Becks is not a good deal - that's why ppl aren't buying his beer.

You can get 8 X 440ml lagers at a supermarket for £7-8 or

6 X 500ml lagers for £6 in dirty offys.

£5 for 4 Becks is not a good deal - that's why ppl aren't buying his beer.

You can get 8 X 440ml lagers at a supermarket for £7-8 or

6 X 500ml lagers for £6 in dirty offys.

Yeah but I don't want to buy sh1t ale!

... I do know of another offy (but it's a good 10 mins drive away from here in the other direction) that does 6 for £6 (becks).

In fact sainsbury's are pretty good for ale offers, they do the 3 for £5 of ales (spitfire, hobgoblin, theakstons, bishops finger etc). I spotted bottles of Spitfire for a quid each a month ago, stocked up there I did!

Yeah but I don't want to buy sh1t ale!

... I do know of another offy (but it's a good 10 mins drive away from here in the other direction) that does 6 for £6 (becks).

In fact sainsbury's are pretty good for ale offers, they do the 3 for £5 of ales (spitfire, hobgoblin, theakstons, bishops finger etc). I spotted bottles of Spitfire for a quid each a month ago, stocked up there I did!

I'm partial to Carling so it's those prices I quote - the days of Lynx, Tesco own brand and dodgy lager I never heard off in Aldi are behind me. :)

I actually get 6 cans of Becks for £5 from a Tamil-run shop i go to to get my beer - every time. Supermarkets are now putting Becks full strength (as opposed to the newer 4%) back on the shelves at about a quid a can too I noticed recently.

Beer has got very expensive. All seems to be creeping up. Even the Aldi stuff has seen significant increases.

I believe there are pressure on supermarkets - minimum pricing by the back door.

Have been trying to reduce my alcohol intake and have taken to supping the 2%, 440ml's, 4 for £1 at the supermarket. I also have some homebrew beer and wine (not enough production to be self sufficient).

When visiting family a local offy sells 4, 5% 500ml beers for £3 to £3.20.

Round the corner from me I can buy Tyskie and Zwiech 500ml, 5.6% for £1 a can, or £22 for 24.

Wine on the black market is £2 a bottle, spirits are £5-7.

I find that off licenses are often cheaper than supermarkets nowadays, and the cheapest alcohol in a supermarket is often out of stock.

Can't say I have seen deflation, just prices holding steady in some places and inflation in the supermarkets. Deflation in some pubs, inflation in others.

Just bought four cans of becks for 4.50 at a Sainsbury`s, also dropped my rent by about fifty quid a month. Still not seeing the raging inflation people like talking about on here.

I'm partial to Carling so it's those prices I quote - the days of Lynx, Tesco own brand and dodgy lager I never heard off in Aldi are behind me. :)

that did make me laugh, although the luxury of age makes me a sipper rather than a session drinker these days.

I guess the less you drink the more you can afford to pay.

Satire?

Drinking turbo cider here.

Interesting.

:)

I find a all-juice turbo cider a bit too strong taste wise. Instead, I recently tired making up a gallon batch with 3L apple juice + 2L filtered watered + 250g sugar. Fermented to dry then bottled with some additional sugar to carbonate. Left to condition for about 3 months. It came out well (if you like dry cider) imho.

I bottle my home brew in scrounged (and sterilised) commercial beer bottles. I can't help noticing that my recent batches of scrounged bottles are distinctly smaller than the same brands were even as recently as 2-3 years ago. Lots of shaving of alcohol content too.

'Sterilised Milk' bottles are good for home brewed beer, really tough bottles.

Home distillation seems to be getting popular, not surprising when it costs about a quid to make a bottle of vodka and the quality is better than the cheapo store bought.

Banks bitter Tesco, offer price of £1 a bottle and also on a 4for 3, 75p a go.

Lol, thats cheaper than empty homebrew bottles. I might have to buy some and ask a friend to drink them

I find a all-juice turbo cider a bit too strong taste wise. Instead, I recently tired making up a gallon batch with 3L apple juice + 2L filtered watered + 250g sugar. Fermented to dry then bottled with some additional sugar to carbonate. Left to condition for about 3 months. It came out well (if you like dry cider) imho.

I bottle my home brew in scrounged (and sterilised) commercial beer bottles. I can't help noticing that my recent batches of scrounged bottles are distinctly smaller than the same brands were even as recently as 2-3 years ago. Lots of shaving of alcohol content too.

Never had much luck with TC. Always lacks 'bite' somehow. I'll try and make some from actual apples this year - the harvest is looking good at this early stage. loads of fruit has set.

The price of beer is astronomical. I cant believe some bottled beers cost £2+ in the supermarket. The large breweries must be knocking this stuff out at 10p a pint tops.

Beer has got very expensive. All seems to be creeping up. Even the Aldi stuff has seen significant increases.

I believe there are pressure on supermarkets - minimum pricing by the back door.

Are you serious???

My local Spar has 10 Stella 4 for £7.50 (440ml cans). Its not a special offer either, or if it is its been on for about 12 months.

Bizarrely, they do advertise a special offer of 8 cans of the same for 8 quid.

Are you serious???

Yes I am. Beer and lager is considerably more expensive than it has been, with fewer deals big pack deals. Not that long ago the 4 pack 440ml Stella 5% was £3 for 4, now typically it's £1 a can. Fridge packs of 10 were £7 normally now they are £8 sometimes £9. Lidl brasserie went from £3.04 a pack to currently £3.49 within a few months.

I suppose it depends upon your target price.

Yes I am. Beer and lager is considerably more expensive than it has been, with fewer deals big pack deals. Not that long ago the 4 pack 440ml Stella 5% was £3 for 4, now typically it's £1 a can. Fridge packs of 10 were £7 normally now they are £8 sometimes £9. Lidl brasserie went from £3.04 a pack to currently £3.49 within a few months.

I suppose it depends upon your target price.

I don't disagree that it is becoming more expensive, but it is certainly not expensive. £1 for a 440ml can is roughly £1.30 a pint. That's not expensive in my opinion. The 75p/can I pay is less than £1/pint. I can't see how anyone could consider that to be expensive.

Fair enough, it's not in the same league as when Tesco's were doing 24 Carlsberg for £10 as a loss leader, but it's still cheap.