House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Starla

Turkish Protests & Killings

There is a complete media block-out from Turkey on what is basically state police killing of potestors. Below link shows the streets covered in blood. Didn't post the pic as it's grim.

https://twitter.com/lefuyum/status/340833316217446400/photo/1

https://www.commondr...ne/2013/05/31-3

This apparently started out as an environmental protest and has escalated into an anti government protest. Twitter is doing a great job of getting the word out to the world.

http://www.guardian....ests-second-day

BBC News at 10 last night ran their headline story about a woman who's husband was killed in the Armenas Gas Co hostage stituation in January. He was a BP contractor. She was complaining BP/Bob Dudley didn't invite her to a rememberance service. That's headline news wtf? I decided to investigate what the "real" news should have been.

There is a complete media block-out from Turkey on what is basically state police killing of potestors. Below link shows the streets covered in blood. Didn't post the pic as it's grim.

https://twitter.com/lefuyum/status/340833316217446400/photo/1

https://www.commondr...ne/2013/05/31-3

This apparently started out as an environmental protest and has escalated into an anti government protest. Twitter is doing a great job of getting the word out to the world.

http://www.guardian....ests-second-day

BBC News at 10 last night ran their headline story about a woman who's husband was killed in the Armenas Gas Co hostage stituation in January. He was a BP contractor. She was complaining BP/Bob Dudley didn't invite her to a rememberance service. That's headline news wtf? I decided to investigate what the "real" news should have been.

odd. the turkish rioting was reported on BBC world this morning..?

odd. the turkish rioting was reported on BBC world this morning..?

Seen it now on BBC six o'clock news. No mention of anyone being killed, or the media blackout, social networking being shut down, riots spreading, people losing eyes, death by water cannon. They finished the report of showing a bunch of people doing a nice happy version of the Turkish Hokey Cokey. Thank God for Twitter.

Modern Turkey has a quite violent history, particularly regrading PKK Kurdish seperatists. I'm surprised that the latest violence seems disconnected with the PKK, and seems to have caught the government unawares.

I was in Istanbul when it was under martial law in the 70's. Armoured cars were on the streets and on top of that the Istanbul Police's image wasn't improved by the release of the film Midnight Express. A local Police Chief took a fancy to a couple of Canadian women I was travelling with, so we all got invited out to dinner - I was taken along by the Canadian women to make sure they were safe, I guess.

The Police Chief told us he was a bit tired because he had been interrogating people all day. That was a jolly, relaxing, restarant meal for us all, I can tell you. :blink:

Modern Turkey has a quite violent history, particularly regrading PKK Kurdish seperatists. I'm surprised that the latest violence seems disconnected with the PKK, and seems to have caught the government unawares.

I was in Istanbul when it was under martial law in the 70's. Armoured cars were on the streets and on top of that the Istanbul Police's image wasn't improved by the release of the film Midnight Express. A local Police Chief took a fancy to a couple of Canadian women I was travelling with, so we all got invited out to dinner - I was taken along by the Canadian women to make sure they were safe, I guess.

The Police Chief told us he was a bit tired because he had been interrogating people all day. That was a jolly, relaxing, restarant meal for us all, I can tell you. :blink:

In the mid 80`s we drove through Europe and into Turkey (from UK)

All`s I can say is the film "midnight express" was very tame compared with what we saw................

yeah i was looking at going on a holiday to Istanbul. Certain regions are foreign officr advised no go areas. I am not going now.

I spent a bit of time in Bulgaria around 2007-2008 and I got the impression the Bulgarians were not so keen on the Turkish Bulgarians.

yeah i was looking at going on a holiday to Istanbul. Certain regions are foreign officr advised no go areas. I am not going now.

Istanbul (or parts of) are officially FO recommended no-go areas? Thats not good. istanbul is in the most westernised part of Turky, (and well worth a visit. i had quite a few advetures there.

Turkey, being in NATO, could drage us into various problems, such as Syrian or Palestinian conflicts. I've never felt happy about Turkey being in NAT, mainly because of what they did in Cyprus in the 70's.

The question now is, if there are anti-government protests, which way will they push Turkey? Away from the West and more pro-islamist? Towards martial law (yet again)? or maybe more open and western in style...

no not Istanbul according to the foreign office website. The guidance is to stay away from protests, border regions with Syria. I:ve been in Barcelona when there were protests and again the advice was dont go near tje protests !

Chronic civil disorder and civil war is inexorably spreading around the world, isn't it?

Turkey, being in NATO, could drage us into various problems, such as Syrian or Palestinian conflicts. I've never felt happy about Turkey being in NAT, mainly because of what they did in Cyprus in the 70's.

Yes, from what little I know, what they did to the Orthodox Christians in the part of Cyprus they annexed made the heavy handed British anti-guerrilla sweeps many years before look darn civilised in comparison. Turkish soldiers matched the South Koreans in their psychopathic ferocity as US allies in the Vietnam War as well.

Just get them in the EU, that'll solve everything. They can have all their current 'issues', plus 67% youth unemployment, like Greece. :rolleyes:

In fact a relatively healthy economy is something the turks do have. Im sure the EU will put a stop to that though.

Istanbul (or parts of) are officially FO recommended no-go areas? Thats not good. istanbul is in the most westernised part of Turky, (and well worth a visit. i had quite a few advetures there.

The question now is, if there are anti-government protests, which way will they push Turkey? Away from the West and more pro-islamist? Towards martial law (yet again)? or maybe more open and western in style...

Hmm. Sterile western semi statist semi corporatist globalism or Islamic theocracy.

Its a sad state of affairs if that's the choice.

Istanbul and other major city`s were fine when we went

everywhere else was ........well ..........unsettling shall we say

At the time it was an embarrassingly cheap country...........

But the Police were just SOOOOOOOOOOOOO Corrupt :o

we had the police kick our hotel door down at 3am to collect a fine for parking where the hotel told us to.... we argued and they scooped up our passports and started to leave :( - we just paid quickly - 50p it was)

another time we had asked for directions - the officer got out of the police minibus and insisted on taking us for a very lavish lunch which he refused to pay for and wouldn't let us pay either (poor café owner)

we had the police kick our hotel door down at 3am to collect a fine for parking where the hotel told us to.... we argued and they scooped up our passports and started to leave :( - we just paid quickly - 50p it was)

another time we had asked for directions - the officer got out of the police minibus and insisted on taking us for a very lavish lunch which he refused to pay for and wouldn't let us pay either (poor café owner)

AKA a police state....one in a state of evolving failure.

Hmm. Sterile western semi statist semi corporatist globalism or Islamic theocracy.

Its a sad state of affairs if that's the choice.

If not those two options, then what would YOU prefer?

If not those two options, then what would YOU prefer?

Some kind of constitutional republic like the US was originally envisaged to be, but with safeguards against the growth of government AND corporations and other organizations. Some kind of system where no power, whether private or public could be allowed to become some massive centralized entity.

Some kind of constitutional republic like the US was originally envisaged to be, but with safeguards against the growth of government AND corporations and other organizations. Some kind of system where no power, whether private or public could be allowed to become some massive centralized entity.

You mean Switzerland?

Interior Minister Muammer Guler said 90 demonstrations had taken place in 48 cities after the protests spiralled. He said more than 1,700 people had been arrested - many had since been released but others would be put on trial.

Amnesty International claimed two people had been killed and more than 1,000 injured, though there was no confirmation of those figures. Amnesty's Europe director John Dalhuisen said: "The excessively heavy-handed response to the entirely peaceful protests in Taksim has been truly disgraceful."

And it was reported by BBC

And it was reported by BBC

Yeah but if that's the stuff sneaking past the MSM blackout imagine the stuff that is really going on..

:unsure::ph34r:

Hundreds of people demonstrated in New York on Saturday in a show of support for mass protests in Turkey against the Islamist-rooted government of Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan. Link

It's spreading around the world

At least the Turkish policeman I dined with paid for the meal!

(|Though now I am older, I feel uneasy that I dined with him at all.)