House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steppenpig

Firefox 21

There are probably more sensible places I could mention this, but I don't know them. Anyway, Firefox 21 downloaded and installed itself the other day, and since then it's been really slow, mouse pointer doesn't move smoothly, have to slow down my typing to wait for the letters to appear, etc. Been trying switching off scripting and graphics or whatever I could think of, and finally I noticed that I didn't seem to have Adblock any more, so reinstalled and now it seems almost back to normal. I'm surprised that it made a difference to usage speed. It's possible of course, that it was just all coincidence.

That's the sort of annoying behaviour I always hated microsoft for, messing around with your settings whenever it updated. Hopefully it's not a bad sign. I did google a bit, but it doesn't seem to be a widespread problem, so maybe I just got unlucky.

I had a similar problem with FF21. Adblock stopped working and I almost gave up using it. (Enthusiastic FF user since V1). As a last ditch attempt I uninstalled and reinstalled. It's working fine now.

Not sure about Mercury's latest iteration though.

Unbelievably complex! It's just a browser! You see text and a few pictures! Why is it so big? I think I will go back to Mosaic! ;)

I had similar problems and found this resolved it:

firefox button - help - troubleshooting information - reset firefox (in top right)

I've had an intermittent problem since updating to version 21, whereby the browser will freeze for 2-3 minutes, and then report that the Flash plugin has crashed. Once the error box is clicked away, all is fine. This only affects Firefox running under Ubuntu (12.04, 64-bit) - haven't had this happen at all in Windows.

Guest eight

I've had an intermittent problem since updating to version 21, whereby the browser will freeze for 2-3 minutes, and then report that the Flash plugin has crashed. Once the error box is clicked away, all is fine. This only affects Firefox running under Ubuntu (12.04, 64-bit) - haven't had this happen at all in Windows.

An identical problem was the reason I moved away from IE.

The amount of unwanted crap running in what should be fairly straightforward web pages is half the battle, mind. Since I installed flashblock in Chrome even my old PC whizzes around the internet. Gumtree was always a particularly bad one before that, for some reason. Having it open in eve two tabs was enough to kill the computer.