House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Discuss: Why Is The Usa: The Only Rich Country With Growing Population % Who Can’T Afford Food

With the seeming ubiquity of mobile phones in the U.S., it’s important to realize that America is below the median percentage of cell phone users in many other countries. That information is quantified in a new report from the Pew Research Center that makes for interesting reading.

The study of 21 countries found that 86 percent of U.S. respondents had a mobile phone, one point lower than the median. That’s a lower market penetration than the United Kingdom, Germany, Spain, Italy, Tunisia, China, Japan and several other countries. The Czech Republic tops the league with 99 percent of its adults having a mobile phone.

Evercore Partners analyst Bryan Kraft estimates that the pay TV industry gained about 125,000 video subscribers in the fourth quarter, down from about 200,000 in the same period of 2011.

"On a base of about 104 million subscribers, it's a very small change," he said. "I would say that the year-over-year change was about the same. We've seen pay-TV penetration decline modestly since its peak in 2009 (when it spiked because of the digital broadcast transition), while net adds have stayed marginally positive."

He estimated that pay-TV penetration of total U.S. homes peaked at 85.5 percent in 2009, but that has dropped to about 84.4 percent now.

So Americans can afford mobile phones and pay TV, but not food?

and yet the poorest americans are the fattest.

Could it be that statistics that are compiled by arms of the govt are just complete ********?

When people live transiently, they may not have access to a cooker or even a microwave. Their options for eating are:

McDonald's, McDonald's, Kentucky Fried Chicken and a Pizza Hut. Not too many outlets offering up rice and fresh veg. It's possible to be obese and malnourished. Dietary options are a luxury for the poor.

Edited by Imminent_plunge

When people live transiently, they may not have access to a cooker or even a microwave. Their options for eating are:

McDonald's, McDonald's, Kentucky Fried Chicken and a Pizza Hut. Not too many outlets offering up rice and fresh veg. It's possible to be obese and malnourished. Dietary options are a luxury for the poor.

pure nonsense!

you can eat McDonald's and KFC every day. But not 5 burgers, but only 1 or 2 a day.

> It's possible to be obese and malnourished

this is physically impossible. you can have a lack of vitamins or minerals if you are obese, but you can not be malnourished

you can be quite alright with KFC only diet if you watch your weight and you eat some apples/oranges every 2nd day

pure nonsense!

you can eat McDonald's and KFC every day. But not 5 burgers, but only 1 or 2 a day.

this is physically impossible. you can have a lack of vitamins or minerals if you are obese, but you can not be malnourished

you can be quite alright with KFC only diet if you watch your weight and you eat some apples/oranges every 2nd day

plus in California you can get a quite good and cheap Mexican cooked food in every small super market; a bit cheaper than KFC or others

Could it be that statistics that are compiled by arms of the govt are just complete ********?

Given that the cheapest food is loaded with sugar, salt, and other additives you don't want to eat large quantities of.... no. But it could be that they only have easy access to crap, or that they have too limited an education to make better dietary choices.

Eating healthily need not be expensive, but it does involve more thought than just picking up the ready meal or going to the KFC (and more equipment).

Given that the cheapest food is loaded with sugar, salt, and other additives you don't want to eat large quantities of.... no. But it could be that they only have easy access to crap, or that they have too limited an education to make better dietary choices.

Eating healthily need not be expensive, but it does involve more thought than just picking up the ready meal or going to the KFC (and more equipment).

Crap taste's better, its as simple as that, lets be honest.

Western societies thrive on instant gratification. Eating rabbit food (or 'vegetables' as the govt propagandists tell me they are called) for your entire life to live a little longer is too much sacrifice for most.

If you had ever lived in the U.S. you would find that fast food joints selling high-calorific low-nutrition foods are extremely extremely prevalent. Each town/city has large numbers of such places. They are also very cheap, much cheaper than the UK.

So if you are at the very bottom of the income ladder its very very easy to slip into a life-style where you eat often at such places, no matter what the long term health consequences may be.

There is also a link between this and inequality, when you have high inequality the poor end up eating more of highly energy dense foods. It's much cheaper getting energy that way than eating fruits and lower energy density vegetables that also meet other nutritional requirements.

The inverse is also true, when you have a broad based middle class society with lower inequality, the poor have relatively higher incomes and end up spending more on higher quality lower energy density foods.

Western societies thrive on instant gratification. Eating rabbit food (or 'vegetables' as the govt propagandists tell me they are called) for your entire life to live a little longer is too much sacrifice for most.

No.

a)A tasty low energy density diet having a high proportion of vegetables is costly.

b)A non-tasty low energy density diet having a high proportion of vegetables is cheap.

c)A tasty high energy diet having a low proportion of vegetables is cheap.

So for the poor a) is simply not possible, and given the choice of b ) and c) like any other human no matter their station they will choose c) over b ).

Edited by alexw

[quote name='Damik' timestamp='1370003257' post='909332576'

Incorrect.

It is possible to die of malnutrition weighing more than 60 stone and there are documented cases. Nutrition is not just about calories and body fat.

plus in California you can get a quite good and cheap Mexican cooked food in every small super market; a bit cheaper than KFC or others

That's California sorted then, just another 51 states to go. I wouldn't fancy my chances in Alaska.

They could follow my example and buy a pasty from the local franchised pasty shop.

Within 2 hours I'd lost the pasty and my breakfast. Fastest way to shed the pounds I know - all £2.90 of it.

Yesterday the Noos was all about how 50% of the UK would be obese in a couple of year's time. Looked like an attempt to divide and rule to me. Get the thin people like me blaming the fat people for using up NHS resources. Get the young blaming the pensioners for bed blocking. Get the old blaming the young for alcohol abuse treatment sapping the NHS.

Stop jabbing fingers at each other, start laying into the parasites that have been brainwashing you.

They have a Common Purpose!

Definitely not. Crap has occasional place (in the field of "I don't have time to make anything and I don't have time to get anything decent and I have to eat and there's crap right here by me"), but anyone raised on real food would run ten miles before eating it as preference.

A great quote from a real person who was a US politician in the 50's was " you don't know what work is until you have done a job that can hurt you" millions of these people work in hard energy sapping jobs.

They physically need a large amount of calories unfortunately that lifestyle also breeds obesity within their communities and families.

Good food is expensive relatively and time consuming to prepare - when you are working 12 hours a day to keep your family together you need to eat large and fast.

Reports like this are prepared by middle class c***** who think everyone has time and money to rustle up an organic leaf salad drizzled with truffle oil

A great quote from a real person who was a US politician in the 50's was " you don't know what work is until you have done a job that can hurt you" millions of these people work in hard energy sapping jobs.

They physically need a large amount of calories unfortunately that lifestyle also breeds obesity within their communities and families.

Good food is expensive relatively and time consuming to prepare - when you are working 12 hours a day to keep your family together you need to eat large and fast.

Reports like this are prepared by middle class c***** who think everyone has time and money to rustle up an organic leaf salad drizzled with truffle oil

Utter rubbish. When I was labouring my lunch consisted of tins of tuna, olive oil, hard boiled eggs, and maybe some cold meat. Time to prepare? About 42 seconds. Good fats, plenty of protein, and not a refined carb in sight.

So Americans can afford mobile phones and pay TV, but not food?

They can afford food but fast convenient food, high in fats and carbohydrates flavourings salt that gives a quick fix feel good factor without having to think much or plan ahead.......eating healthy requires some time, thought, and work........sometimes easier and more convenient to fill a gap with not so good fattening cheaper food, worry about the consequences tomorrow, anyway I found it hard to buy healthy in USA buying fresh fruit in some places was a task in itself. ;)

Maybe the reason is that the typical person in the US is a lot poorer than the typical person in the UK (or Italy, Japan, Australia, etc.):

link

The median net worth of an adult in the US is about $55,000, while the median wealth of an adult in the UK is at least twice that. (see paragraph just above the world map in the link.)

It's a myth that the US is a "rich country".

The median net worth of an adult in the US is about $55,000, while the median wealth of an adult in the UK is at least twice that. (see paragraph just above the world map in the link.)

Well, duh. America has had a house price crash. The UK hasn't.

That's why you get so many boats packed full of poor Americans crossing the Atlantic to become illegal immigrants in super-rich Britain.

Maybe the reason is that the typical person in the US is a lot poorer than the typical person in the UK (or Italy, Japan, Australia, etc.):

link

If that is the case, then please explain why many populations in the rest of the world - with median incomes much lower again than the USA - are not afflicted by this particular epidemic?

Well, duh. America has had a house price crash. The UK hasn't.

That's why you get so many boats packed full of poor Americans crossing the Atlantic to become illegal immigrants in super-rich Britain.

As a US citizen, I've been looking at jobs over there. Some seem to offer reasonable salaries compared to the cost of living. Except that these jobs don't offer health insurance. Health insurance works out at $800 a month, for many (individuals and companies) it is unaffordable. Would you dare to cycle to work? Ok, add a car to your expenses, it's compulsory. Don't get cancer, heart disease, diabetes. Whatever you do, don't have an accident, apart from that everything's completely fine because you can dine on steaks twice your body weight really cheaply :huh:

I heard an interview with a Republican senator last year when posed the question 'Do you think it's acceptable for people to die due to lack of health insurance?' He paused for a minute before declaring that it was acceptable because everybody should pay their way.