House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

@contradevian

Kinky Sex Is Good For You

Well I've done some kinky stuff in my time and I think my mental health has stood up fine, in the face of adversity, apart from my HPC addiction of course.

http://io9.com/kinky-people-have-better-mental-health-than-the-rest-of-510510381

People who engage in kinky sexual practices involving such things as bondage and sadomasochism may actually be more mentally healthy than those who don't, according to a new study. So what are you waiting for? It's time to break out those whips and handcuffs.

Go and take a walk on the wild side and get out the leather and handcuffs. Might save a trip to the shrink. :lol:

The new results reveal that on a basic level, BDSM practitioners don't appear to be more troubled than the general population. They were more extroverted, more open to new experiences and more conscientious than vanilla participants; they were also less neurotic, a personality trait marked by anxiety. BDSM aficionados also scored lower than the general public on rejection sensitivity, a measure of how paranoid people are about others disliking them.
People in the BDSM scene reported higher levels of well-being in the past two weeks than people outside it, and they reported more secure feelings of attachment in their relationships, the researchers found.

The new results reveal that on a basic level, BDSM practitioners don't appear to be more troubled than the general population. They were more extroverted, more open to new experiences and more conscientious than vanilla participants; they were also less neurotic, a personality trait marked by anxiety. BDSM aficionados also scored lower than the general public on rejection sensitivity, a measure of how paranoid people are about others disliking them.

People in the BDSM scene reported higher levels of well-being in the past two weeks than people outside it, and they reported more secure feelings of attachment in their relationships, the researchers found.

Maybe loosen the handcuffs a little? ;)

More seriously, I find that people who are involved in BDSM are generally people who have (perhaps, out of necessity) put an unusually great deal of thought into the role of trust and power in a relationship. It is not surprising to me that this should be healthy, both physically and mentally.

Chicken? Egg?

There are certain things only the healthy would (or could) ever do. Hence they're correlated with good health.

Someone forgot to tell Michael Hutchence and Stephen Milligan.