House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

Mary Portas - Sad State Of Britain's High Streets

Seems to think a coat of paint; artisan bakers and high-end shoe shops will solve the problem.

Does she think every town in Britain is like London?

Seems to think a coat of paint; artisan bakers and high-end shoe shops will solve the problem.

Does she think every town in Britain is like London?

She is doing wonders for Rotherham, which was near crippled by nearby Meadowhall....apparently.

I like that she's had a go.

Similarly I like Jamie Oliver's various efforts to improve what people eat.

Good on them both for trying.

Indeed. Never mind the sky high rents, penal taxes and frankly ludicrous way we treat the motorist. What we all need is a dose of positive thinking, that'll get the punters flooding back to the High Street.

Spending 120 grand on Nelson is like tackling a tsunami with a squeegy mop.

I've been into Nelson town centre only once, nearly 20 years ago. Seem to recall that it was, how to say... not the flashest of places. I take it that it's not improved?

I've been into Nelson town centre only once, nearly 20 years ago. Seem to recall that it was, how to say... not the flashest of places. I take it that it's not improved?

I drive through there from time to time but never stop. Although I'd count myself as a positive, happy person I always come away feeling suicidal.

Indeed. Never mind the sky high rents, penal taxes and frankly ludicrous way we treat the motorist. What we all need is a dose of positive thinking, that'll get the punters flooding back to the High Street.

Recently in a Town near me a couple of roads were changed from free parking for an hour mon-sat, to no parking on a certain day (market day). The town is struggling to fill shops and bring enough shoppers in like many places. So on market day the traffic wardens are there in force waiting to catch the unwary motorist not reading the new signs properly, near the bottom it basically says free parking for an hour except on Fridays... A couple of weeks in and 2 traffic wardens were seen high fiving each other and all smiles with a nice big wad of tickets given out :angry: thing is it does not hold up traffic or make any difference to safety or anything on this one day compared to any others.

She is doing wonders for Rotherham, which was near crippled by nearby Meadowhall....apparently.

Rotherham?

Could that not be a case of a simple cyclical rebound after having reached a nadir?