House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bloo Loo

Windows 8 Was Rubbish...now Not So Bad

In January 2013, I was thrown into a Windows 8 setup.

screens with no clue as to what to do next, hard navigation, too much automation.

It was rubbish.

Looks like MS has been listening....its hard to get a Toshiba without W8 now...so I have tried to avoid them..but another client insisted, so I got one in...

Windows 8 now hasnt got the dead screen, you can turn off apps dead easy as well as shut down easy.

Still no start button, but the new logic seems to work just as well.

There is a new version shortly to be released, so yes, I can begin to recommend it for users with desktops.

screens with no clue as to what to do next, hard navigation, too much automation.

It was rubbish.

Looks like MS has been listening....its hard to get a Toshiba without W8 now...so I have tried to avoid them..but another client insisted, so I got one in...

Windows 8 now hasnt got the dead screen, you can turn off apps dead easy as well as shut down easy.

There is a new version shortly to be released, so yes, I can begin to recommend it for users with desktops.

Thanks for that. Any more details about the 'improvements'? Importantly, as a traditional desktop OS, is it better than Windows 7?

It was rubbish.

So can you upgrade / update the "old" windows 8 you know the really crap one?

BTW Bloo I jumped into office 365 and I think it looks quite swish

I bought my lass a decent Acer lappy, but it came with W8 due to the date of purchase or whatever.

I frickin hate it. Have W7 on my desktop and own lappy, as well as a work one with Unbuntu.

What was Macrosluft thinking with this horrid OS?

So can you upgrade / update the "old" windows 8 you know the really crap one?

BTW Bloo I jumped into office 365 and I think it looks quite swish

I dont know about upgrading the original, and im not 100% that 8.1 is going to be a free upgrade either...from some sites ive read, this is still up in the air...almost as if MS arent sure the 8.1 is an entirely new system or just a service pack.

Of course, it could also be that Toshiba have altered it a bit too..

TBH, as for office, I find MS licensing a stupidity.....My colleague who has been on a 365 course, tells me that the low cost packages that seem to offer a lot really dissppoint...ie, you dont get what you might think....not sure what he meant, but It seems if you want simple stuff, the simple packages will do.

Dont like the default colours on outlook...but at least you can change them.

I got Windows 8 at work (in additon to Win 7 - I work as a developer) and I absolutely hate the Metro start screen,

If you remove most of the 'Apps' you will get very few notifications which take you from the classic desktop to the ghastly Metro screen, and installiing Classic Shell will give you a much more familiar desktop with options to, for example, skip the Metro screen at startup and remove the silly corner hotspots.

Having done all the above I can't say it's that it's that much different from Windows 7 for day to day use.

I like Windows 7! It works, When support is removed, I might replace it with Debian

The metro screen as an alternative to the start menu isn't a problem. It's the crappy apps that take 10 seconds to load and fill up the whole screen when you want to open a PDF or a jpeg. As long as you set the default application to the desktop version then you're fine.

I dont know about upgrading the original, and im not 100% that 8.1 is going to be a free upgrade either...from some sites ive read, this is still up in the air...almost as if MS arent sure the 8.1 is an entirely new system or just a service pack.

Of course, it could also be that Toshiba have altered it a bit too..

TBH, as for office, I find MS licensing a stupidity.....My colleague who has been on a 365 course, tells me that the low cost packages that seem to offer a lot really dissppoint...ie, you dont get what you might think....not sure what he meant, but It seems if you want simple stuff, the simple packages will do.

Dont like the default colours on outlook...but at least you can change them.

8.11 has a nice ring to it, I'd wait for that, it could be a classic :D.

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2013/05/30/continuing-the-windows-8-vision-with-windows-8-1.aspx

8.1 previewed - disappointment for desktop users, and a few gimmicks for tablet users.

You get used to the start menu button going, but I've never got used to the way the entire screen flashes with full screen start menu. I've also never used the metro apps, if I wanted tablet experience I just use the android table.

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2013/05/30/continuing-the-windows-8-vision-with-windows-8-1.aspx

8.1 previewed - disappointment for desktop users, and a few gimmicks for tablet users.

You get used to the start menu button going, but I've never got used to the way the entire screen flashes with full screen start menu. I've also never used the metro apps, if I wanted tablet experience I just use the android table.

Crikey, that would be a BIG screen then? :huh:

8.11 has a nice ring to it, I'd wait for that, it could be a classic :D.

As was Windows 3.1 for Workgroups :rolleyes: