House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

More Bad Weather

http://news.sky.com/story/1097272/b-and-q-owner-kingfisher-in-29-percent-profit-plunge

"A profits slump of 29% at the DIY chain's parent company is blamed on cold spring weather and dampened consumer confidence."

So...all those people stuck in their house due to the bad weather are refusing to do DIY in their houses because it's too wet to go out their house to get the bits they need to work inside their house, in the warmth and dry.

Strange :blink:

Yes, I find it odd that the inhabitants of a country, where the weather is wet and cold more often than not, have evolved to find it impossible to do anything unless optimal temperatures and weather conditions are prevailing.

Either that, or the media is just one big f****g joke , much like the UK economy and the idiots that run it. :lol:

Good.

Far too many numpties have all but ruined their precious homes by gutting and refitting with low grade B&Q furnishings.

Saying that, it wasn't long ago that you could 'buy' a home, take a dump in the toilet, paint the front foyer some neutral beige, put twigs in a vase and make 10% profit on the flip.

Funny but im seeing a 350%+ increase in my online sales this year of my Home and Garden products.Biggest margins on any of my lines and still around 40% cheaper with a 100% markup even counting for postage than B+Q,,Home and Garden sales are booming,,,its the biggest growth area online.Of course B+Qs cost base is fat on years of massive margins and now they cant compete.

Iv got some lovely lines on the way they sell as well that il undercut them on by a huge amount so hopfully next year they can blame the weather again. :ph34r:

Funny but im seeing a 350%+ increase in my online sales this year of my Home and Garden products.Biggest margins on any of my lines and still around 40% cheaper with a 100% markup even counting for postage than B+Q,,Home and Garden sales are booming,,,its the biggest growth area online.Of course B+Qs cost base is fat on years of massive margins and now they cant compete.

Iv got some lovely lines on the way they sell as well that il undercut them on by a huge amount so hopfully next year they can blame the weather again. :ph34r:

Those stores can be quite handy for bulk stuff that's not always economic to buy on-line.

Not sure you can sustain a national retail chain selling sand though.

Those stores can be quite handy for bulk stuff that's not always economic to buy on-line.

Funnily enough, I think the really big B&Qs are quit good for passing an hour or some in on a rainy day :blink:

Funnily enough, I think the really big B&Qs are quit good for passing an hour or some in on a rainy day :blink:

Absolutely. I was in one only the other day. Looking at price labels, wincing and whistling. Tremendous fun.

I sometimes pop in for a wander....more often than not a lonesome wander, like to browse through the nuts and knockers, bits and bods, end of lines and bargain basket....stroll around the gardeny bit seeing if they are caring for the plants correctly, tells a lot about the quality of the store no dead, dry and neglected plants to be tolerated....before you know it time has passed quickly, exiting with more knowledge and understanding than entering. ;)

Guest eight

Yes, I find it odd that the inhabitants of a country, where the weather is wet and cold more often than not, have evolved to find it impossible to do anything unless optimal temperatures and weather conditions are prevailing.

Either that, or the media is just one big f****g joke , much like the UK economy and the idiots that run it. :lol:

It's not so much the rain as the bad light. Very difficult to wallpaper, or do gloss painting, when it's pitch black at midday.

Not sure you can sustain a national retail chain selling sand though.

Not true.

Their aggregates,sand & ballast in tonne bags very expensive.

B&Q 1 tonne ballast £39.98 + £25 del,next day service=£64.98

Local builders merchants in London £39.50,£0 del,same day service.

Smaller items.

Adjustable steel kitchen legs B&Q £19 each,online del £6 each.

SDS concrete breaker bits £25 in B&Q £25 each,online del £7.

B&Q deserve to fail 3 times the price of online competitors & you still have to go and get it from B&Q!!

£25.48 more expensive per tonne bag of aggregates from B&Q than my local builders merchants & del 20 hours slower.

B&Q say make a house a home,you could'nt afford to at their prices!

Homebase even worse prices.

Wickes red pencil prices,snigger still twice the price of online suppliers.

Only item i've found reasonably priced in diy chains is cement if you buy over 5 bags.

Not true.

Their aggregates,sand & ballast in tonne bags very expensive.

B&Q 1 tonne ballast £39.98 + £25 del,next day service=£64.98

Local builders merchants in London £39.50,£0 del,same day service.

Smaller items.

Adjustable steel kitchen legs B&Q £19 each,online del £6 each.

SDS concrete breaker bits £25 in B&Q £25 each,online del £7.

B&Q deserve to fail 3 times the price of online competitors & you still have to go and get it from B&Q!!

£25.48 more expensive per tonne bag of aggregates from B&Q than my local builders merchants & del 20 hours slower.

B&Q say make a house a home,you could'nt afford to at their prices!

Homebase even worse prices.

Wickes red pencil prices,snigger still twice the price of online suppliers.

Only item i've found reasonably priced in diy chains is cement if you buy over 5 bags.

In the volumes I usually buy stuff at, it can kind of make sense, sometimes. Otherwise, you're right. They stink.

Edited by Nuggets Mahoney

Better call in Mary Portas.

Can't see a future for B&Q to be honest, when the rent slaves are forced to live in cramped shoe boxes, with magnolia walls and need the permission of "the rentier" to hang a picture.

Edited by Secure Tenant

The gov't is so fixated with stopping house prices falling that it's missing the elephant in the room which is volume of sales if they really want the economy to improve. If house prices fall I will actually buy one, redecorate it, need to carpet and furnish it etc friends/family will send new home gifts buy the odd prezzie etc added to the SDLT, sols fees, removals, mortgage fees etc - this is all of the crap that keeps the economy turning around and none of it's happening because we are all saving our pennies every month. Also, the longer they keep rates so low the more everyone has to put away to save, rather than spend - just because interest rates are low doesn't mean I'm going to spend my savings... rant over...