House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

happy_renting

Product Of The Week

I found this item, which i have to share with you all.

3 Emergency ponchos for £1 (+postage)

Imagine how useful it would be, if you were a Peruvian pan-pipe trio suddenly left naked by an earthquake.

$(KGrHqJ,!r!FGT-tibZUBRm1W7e9Mw~~60_12.JPG

All the best products of the week should be multi-functional afaic (ponchos definitely count)

Presenting, the Kamasa 55862 Pocket Level/Screwdriver @ £3.18*, postage free

35kiy3t.jpg

If it had a clock and a torch (and there's room) it'd be just about perfect

edit: * or £8.25 from a supplier with a slightly worse feedback rating, whatever suits your personal purchasing algorithm

All the best products of the week should be multi-functional afaic (ponchos definitely count)

Presenting, the Kamasa 55862 Pocket Level/Screwdriver @ £3.18*, postage free

35kiy3t.jpg

If it had a clock and a torch (and there's room) it'd be just about perfect

edit: * or £8.25 from a supplier with a slightly worse feedback rating, whatever suits your personal purchasing algorithm

Curb your enthusiasm.

Sprit (noun)

1. A pole that extends diagonally across a fore-and-aft sail from the lower part of the mast to the peak of the sail.

2. A bowsprit.

So I can see it has other limitations, too. For example, it may level poles, but presumably not hungarians (or for that matter peruvian pan-pipe trios).

BTW my pockets rarely need levelling, if anyone wants to be smartarse or silly about this.

These are excellent for doing any sort of soup based far east spicy dishes. Only seem to be available from Chinese supermarkets and the like though.

60_Gm_Big_KnorrRomYam-300x300.jpg

I found this item, which i have to share with you all.

3 Emergency ponchos for £1 (+postage)

I find a good poncho like those completes my swivel-eye-loon look, to get on the nerves of the anti-conservative Conservatives.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 at 07:04 AM PST

Mitt Romney is not impressed with the 'fancy raincoats' worn by NASCAR fans

mittromneyponcho_022612.jpg

But the crowd initially booed Mr. Romney, who occasionally struck a discordant note, as when he approached a group of fans wearing plastic ponchos. “I like those fancy raincoats you bought,” he said. “Really sprung for the big bucks.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/02/27/1068682/-Mitt-Romney-is-not-impressed-with-the-fancy-raincoats-worn-by-Nascar-fans

I find a good poncho like those completes my swivel-eye-loon look, to get on the nerves of the anti-conservative Conservatives.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 at 07:04 AM PST

Mitt Romney is not impressed with the 'fancy raincoats' worn by NASCAR fans

mittromneyponcho_022612.jpg

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/02/27/1068682/-Mitt-Romney-is-not-impressed-with-the-fancy-raincoats-worn-by-Nascar-fans

Oh dear, I don't like the way Romney is taking this. The Politicisation of Emergency Ponchos.

Emergency Ponchos should be neutral.

Consider what would happen otherwise, if, say, the Red Cross, after a natural disaster such as X-Factor being off television for a week, drops 999,999* Emergency Ponchos on a traumatised population, only to then leave them vulnerable to the sneering of well-heeled politicians?

* I would have said 1 million, but they come in packs of 3.

These are excellent for doing any sort of soup based far east spicy dishes. Only seem to be available from Chinese supermarkets and the like though.

60_Gm_Big_KnorrRomYam-300x300.jpg

It sounds like they are only excellent for far-east based spicy soup dishes then, not soup-based far east spicy dishes.

Edit: Consider that submission withdrawn

Don't give up too easily.

With your suggested improvements, adding a clock and torch, and improvement to the leveller to avoid the restriction to Poles, such a device could be used for the punctual levelling of people from any East-European nation, even in the dark.

Well spotted.

I just knew it was too good to be true.

Edit: Consider that submission withdrawn

In its place, the Eddingtons (Hard Boiled) Egg Cuber...

9uoeno.jpg

Not exactly a bargain at £5.39, but sometimes it's worth paying that little bit extra.

It's uplifting, isn't it, to know that as all of the World's Great Problems have been finally and decisively resolved, we can all now relax and focus on inventing new, pointless problems we never knew we had, and even solve those too.

Eddingtons (Hard Boiled) Egg Cuber shows that there is a bright future for humankind.

Chessington World of Adventures theme park riders stuck

I think this disaster is an ideal opportunity for HPCers to demonstrate their humanitarian credentials.

I propose an airlift / air drop of HPC Aid Parcels to these unfortunate people, containing:

1) Emergency Poncho

2) Kamasa Sprit Level

3) Knorr Tom Tam Stock Cube Survival Rations

4) A framed picture of Bono.

I need to raise £150,000 to cover my expenses (including £2.57 commission to Nuggets Mahoney).

PayPal and Bitcoins accepted.

An easy win for my personal product of the week from the quality Am-Tech brand...

i5cen5.jpg

I managed to break this in five different ways in less than four minutes - the blade bent, the weld attaching the blade and the fork to the shaft cracked, the shaft popped out of the bit of plastic in the middle and the handle popped out the other end of the same bit of plastic, the blade edge was pitted and had started to wear down and the 'soft grip' had started to fray badly.

Correction, that's six different ways in four minutes. The person I borrowed it off wasn't best pleased. No matter, a replacement can be found with careful searching for as little as five pounds (with free delivery). Worth every penny in entertainment value alone.

Chessington World of Adventures theme park riders stuck

I think this disaster is an ideal opportunity for HPCers to demonstrate their humanitarian credentials.

Sounds like one heck of an adventure to me. Not sure how the team at Chessington are going to top that. An Amtech hand hoe could have made all the difference.

An easy win for my personal product of the week from the quality Am-Tech brand...

i5cen5.jpg

I managed to break this in five different ways in less than four minutes - the blade bent, the weld attaching the blade and the fork to the shaft cracked, the shaft popped out of the bit of plastic in the middle and the handle popped out the other end of the same bit of plastic, the blade edge was pitted and had started to wear down and the 'soft grip' had started to fray badly.

Correction, that's six different ways in four minutes. The person I borrowed it off wasn't best pleased. No matter, a replacement can be found with careful searching for as little as five pounds (with free delivery). Worth every penny in entertainment value alone.

Sounds like one heck of an adventure to me. Not sure how the team at Chessington are going to top that. An Amtech hand hoe could have made all the difference.

That is impresssive.

I think it is quite difficult nowadays to find a product that is truly, consistently that bad.

That is impresssive.

I think it is quite difficult nowadays to find a product that is truly, consistently that bad.

My experience resonated with a post on the main board (I do visit occasionally) in the 'Massive Drop In Online Sales' thread...

I don't have experience of these switches - but increasingly the very cheap stuff is object shaped rather than any use for the task in hand. I picked up a trowel and fork for the garden. The welds failed on the first usage. USB hub - an led comes on and it has all of the right ports - but nothing works with it. Bicycle lights where the plastic is so flimsy that putting the light on the supplied bracket breaks it.

This is just producing stuff for landfill - utterly worthless use of planetary resources, energy and people's time. Built in obsolescence taken to the extreme - make it cheap enough and it only has stay in one piece to get it home. The low price makes it not worth the effort to return.

My fear is that it'll this approach will move up to higher priced and safety critical goods. You can easily pay 2-3 times the price of something in a pound shop - and get the same quality from other stores.

A few days ago a chum took me to visit a members-only warehouse that sells to people who run discount stores and trade on line. It was fracking huge, and almost entirely filled with stuff shaped like real objects. The sheer futility and waste of it all was something to behold

They had ponchos.

OK I retract the above statement.

Come to think of it, some of the counterfeit stuff coming from China is truly shocking.

No pic bought two £1 notebook coolers from Poundworld. Work better with smaller netbooks and work from a USB port.

Look pretty cool at night too underlit with a nice UV type light.

OK I retract the above statement.

Come to think of it, some of the counterfeit stuff coming from China is truly shocking.

No need for a full retraction. Incorporating four, five, six points of critical failure in something as simple as a hand tool is still quite an achievement.

No pic bought two £1 notebook coolers from Poundworld. Work better with smaller netbooks and work from a USB port.

Seriously?! The mind boggles.... How do they work? The fan has gone on my old lappie so it sits unused till I get it repaired - would these keep it cool enough to run I wonder? :D

You seem to think the thing is actually useful. I don't think you've full grasped the point of this thread.

That said - powering it from the USB, which would cause more heat to be dissipated in the laptop* - nice touch. I am sceptical as to whether these coolers are either needed or effective.

*as is the case, of course, with all cooling fans powered from the PSU of the thing it is cooling.

I remember one time I needed a mini tripod for standing a pocket digi camera on for a one-off project. I ordered one on ebay, 99p including free shipping from Hong King. The thing arrived, it looked fine, but pulling the legs apart to stand it on the table snapped them clean off.

I went back on ebay and got a different model, I splashed out and that one was £2.50. Still going strong a couple of years later.

I remember one time I needed a mini tripod for standing a pocket digi camera on for a one-off project. I ordered one on ebay, 99p including free shipping from Hong King. The thing arrived, it looked fine, but pulling the legs apart to stand it on the table snapped them clean off.

I went back on ebay and got a different model, I splashed out and that one was £2.50. Still going strong a couple of years later.

You only get what you pay for. ;)

Well spotted.

In its place, the Eddingtons (Hard Boiled) Egg Cuber...

Not exactly a bargain at £5.39, but sometimes it's worth paying that little bit extra.

What's wrong with eggs that are egg shaped?