House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RaddaBoutYeeee

L L Gone Bust - Bank/agency Want To Sell House - Im Still In The House

Hi all - hoping someone may have some info for me (or maybe i should just head to my local CAB office??)

I just want to find out my rights as im a current tenant in a house (rented for 4 and a half years) and the LL has just gone bust. He has told me an agency is coming to value the house for sale but I just want to know what rights I have in the house? How long does it take to be evicted if they put it on the market for sale and someone buys it - or am i classed as a sitting tenant and can continue to rent? (im on a rolling contract as we never signed a renewal after the first year of tenancy)

Thanks

RBY

Edited by RaddaBoutYeeee

Hi all - hoping someone may have some info for me (or maybe i should just head to my local CAB office??)

I just want to find out my rights as im a current tenant in a house (rented for 4 and a half years) and the LL has just gone bust. He has told me an agency is coming to value the house for sale but I just want to know what rights I have in the house? How long does it take to be evicted if they put it on the market for sale and someone buys it - or am i classed as a sitting tenant and can continue to rent? (im on a rolling contract as we never signed a renewal after the first year of tenancy)

Thanks

RBY

bump *

Do you have a tenancy agreement?

If you do the mortgage lender has to abide by it.

Do you have time left to run on the tenancy agreement?

If so that then that time is still left to run.

Has your tenancy agreement reverted to a periodic agreement.

If so then 2 full months notice is required.

This happened to me last year and the mortgage company tried to evict me with 4 days notice.

I took the mortgage company to court and the judge ruled that they had to give me 2 full months notice before they could even apply for an order to take possesion of the property.

Hope this helps, I know how stressful this can be.

Best of luck.

Spiney.

Thanks

RBY

Depends whether your tenancy is legal. That is, if it's not in contravention of your landlord's mortgage term, which could mean the landlord had no right to enter into it, making you legally a squatter!

If it's legal you retain your rights: the bank can evict you on exactly the same terms as the landlord could've done before. If not, I don't know, but I believe your protection has recently improved from the days when the bailiffs could boot you out without notice.

IANAL. This is not legal advice. Start looking for an alternative home - unless you want to make the bank an offer for the one you're in.

Depends whether your tenancy is legal. That is, if it's not in contravention of your landlord's mortgage term, which could mean the landlord had no right to enter into it, making you legally a squatter!

Not quite the case. The tenancy will be legal and both landlord and tenant are bound by it. However, if granted without consent where consent was required it does not bind the lender unless the lender does something to confirm the tenancy.

Whatever the position, the lender will be able to obtain possession one way or another, but cannot force the OP out without a court order.