House Price Crash Forum
inflating

Councils Spending Millions Housing People In Travelodge Etc

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/travelodge-families-the-new-face-of-the-housing-crisis-8635215.html

‘Travelodge families’: The new face of the housing crisis

Benefit changes, rising private rents, and depleted social housing all force councils to spend billions at Travelodge and Premier Inn in stop-gap measures to help evicted families

Homelessness is obviously no joke, but I can think of a few quips here. I'll resist it though :ph34r:

Homelessness is obviously no joke, but I can think of a few quips here. I'll resist it though :ph34r:

So what's changed?

Aha, here it is in the article:

A number of councils have now concluded that chains such a Travelodge and Premier Inn offer better value than the smaller hostels which have traditionally been used.

Whoops, poor ol' B&B slumlords priced themselves out of a market where value is improving :o

(but you've got me worried about my Premier Inn shares: will this make them less attractive to their core customers who expect a good night's sleep at a fair price?)

I've heard our local council put people up in the local Holiday Inn Express, reportedly costing around £700 a week although this must include the food vouchers they're also given, and often for a couple of months while the council try and arrange more permanent accommodation. The really annoying thing is a private enterprise would negotiate a hefty discount if they were taking on as many rooms for as long a period as our council...

We aren't far from hotel accommodation working out cheaper than buying/renting.

Not sure about nationwide, but in Balham (SW London) the travelodge next to the station is a similar price to renting a small 1-bed flat in that location if you advance book the travelodge at £40/night.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they are just paying the rack rate and not receiving any kind of discount at all.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they are just paying the rack rate and not receiving any kind of discount at all.

Given the higher risk of council placed "guests" I doubt Travellodge are that willing to negotiate.

Here is the case study given - do Travelodge have hotels in Poland? Because I really don't see why its Huntingdonshire district council's role to house Polish families at huge cost to the UK taxpayer!

"Case study: There were five of us in one small hotel room

Agnieszka Bartczak, her partner Piotr Debacz, and her three small children, aged two, three and five became homeless last winter after being evicted from their home in Cambridgeshire.

They appealed to Huntingdonshire District Council for help, which, restricted by a shortage of suitable accommodation, put them up in a Premier Inn by the busy A1."

The hotel room looks quite nice - a bit like those new build suites now available to a first time buyer near you under help to buy.

http://www.premierinn.com/en/checkHotel/HUNBRA/huntingdon-a1/a14?cmp=KNC_D_BND&mckv=siLX79rkv_dc|pcrid|28468149099|kword|%2Bpremier%20%2Binn%20%2Bhuntingdon|match|b|plid|

Edited by MRMX9

Of course it's costing more money.

The policy was not devised to save money. It was in response to the narrative spread by the media (and here) - Look people are on benefits in high cost London. Let's punish them for living in an area that has seen the greatest excesses of the bubble.

It would have been a lot cheaper in the long run (well even in the short to medium run) to bribe those tenants with 7k or even 10k to move to a lower rent authority. Maybe they'd have gone to the coast, or to Wales or to Yorkshire etc. Believe it or not London is no fun if you're on low or no wages (higher shop prices, pollution, noise etc). And then the council could have sold off just a small proportion of the newly vacant properties to recoup the bribe money.

There is always someone making money on another's predicament......councils become dependant on a service they increase the price of that service.....sound familiar. ;)

Of course it's costing more money.

The policy was not devised to save money. It was in response to the narrative spread by the media (and here) - Look people are on benefits in high cost London. Let's punish them for living in an area that has seen the greatest excesses of the bubble.

It would have been a lot cheaper in the long run (well even in the short to medium run) to bribe those tenants with 7k or even 10k to move to a lower rent authority. Maybe they'd have gone to the coast, or to Wales or to Yorkshire etc. Believe it or not London is no fun if you're on low or no wages (higher shop prices, pollution, noise etc). And then the council could have sold off just a small proportion of the newly vacant properties to recoup the bribe money.

Look, if councils started building and providing low-cost, decent quality accommodation for people on low incomes (including many working long hours on minimum wage), the world would collapse. Fact.

Near me, just outside the M25 to the South of London the local Travellodge offers rooms at less than £20/night provided you book online. The hotel is a converted office block which I used to work in - it has always been my ambition to spend the night in my old office which is now a bedroom ;-)

Around here a studio rental would cost you about £600/pcm so it is on a par with the hotel - although I think living longterm in a hotel would not be nice, unless it's the Ritz.

Councils spending millions housing people in temporary accommodation.

Councils refusing to grant permission for new homes to be constructed.

Here is the case study given - do Travelodge have hotels in Poland? Because I really don't see why its Huntingdonshire district council's role to house Polish families at huge cost to the UK taxpayer!

"Case study: There were five of us in one small hotel room

Agnieszka Bartczak, her partner Piotr Debacz, and her three small children, aged two, three and five became homeless last winter after being evicted from their home in Cambridgeshire.

They appealed to Huntingdonshire District Council for help, which, restricted by a shortage of suitable accommodation, put them up in a Premier Inn by the busy A1."

The hotel room looks quite nice - a bit like those new build suites now available to a first time buyer near you under help to buy.

http://www.premierinn.com/en/checkHotel/HUNBRA/huntingdon-a1/a14?cmp=KNC_D_BND&mckv=siLX79rkv_dc|pcrid|28468149099|kword|%2Bpremier%20%2Binn%20%2Bhuntingdon|match|b|plid|

Where does it say that the people are from Poland?

Dont forget the saving on council tax, you dont pay that if you are living in a hotel!

In fact, you can book at £30/night which is cheaper than a 1-bed, more like the cost of a shoddy studio.

Yeah, but is there any mention of what rate the councils are paying ?

£200 oer night perhaps :lol::lol::lol:

Dont forget the saving on council tax, you dont pay that if you are living in a hotel!

No water rates, no gas and electric bills. And no TV licence. If you can live in one room, it can be OK short-term. Especially if the weather is OK to get out and about. (Alan Partridge had to do it, Travel Lantern wasn't it? :) )

I seem to remember a couple actually doing this out of choice a few years ago. By staying long term, I bet you could get a discount; they often have £15 nights on offer all over the country.

Edited by deflation

Guest eight

Where does it say that the people are from Poland?

But if they were to be.....

Do you think I could try to pull this off on the French Riviera? ;)

No water rates, no gas and electric bills. And no TV licence. If you can live in one room, it can be OK short-term. Especially if the weather is OK to get out and about. (Alan Partridge had to do it, Travel Lantern wasn't it? :) )

You forgot the biggest one of all, no Council Tax, although the people on benefits probably have no idea what that is.

Edited by DEATH

Councils spending millions housing people in temporary accommodation.

Councils refusing to grant permission for new homes to be constructed.

Don't forget 'Epic quantities of housing benefit going to private landlords'.

The important thing is that on no account do we undertake the simple, self-funding and economically-stimulating step of building houses for people. Because as I said, the world would collapse.

Yeah, but is there any mention of what rate the councils are paying ?

£200 oer night perhaps :lol::lol::lol:

I know for a fact around my way the council is paying £75 a night (pub/hotel) for a one bed on suite when the local LHA rate is £90 pound a week for a 1 bed self contained flat

And low and behold a Premier in has just been finished down the road ,the gravy train grows longer by the day

It's fascinating the families with multiple children they can't afford living off other peoples hard work must be protected and housed at all costs in their chosen area of London so that their poor little kiddies don't have to travel a few hours to school or change schools yet the kiddies of people who pay their own can get stuffed.

We aren't far from hotel accommodation working out cheaper than buying/renting.

Thatcher obviously thought so. Hence why she lived at the Ritz.

Edited by R K