House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

Interesting City Break Ideas

In the nearish future, I'm thinking of somewhere to go...don't really want to do the usual Amsterdam, Dublin thing...possibly somewhere a little unusual..I hear Antwerp may be good...would love to go to Reykjavik, but fear the cost...

Not sure I would recommend Antwerp (never actually been there but travelled through Belgium and found it quite depressing), though the diamond centre may be interesting.

I recently went to Madrid, but not sure if the is a little obvious. Amazing food, great people (not like pick pocket central Barcelona) and quite a bit to do. Though it is not actually cheap.

Berlin maybe an option, some interesting history and quite lively, not sure if it is up and coming, or has already got there as a tourist destination (possible the later).

Another interesting city I have been to in Germany is Dresden, that is not even close to being on the tourist map (unless you are German), they have don't quite a bit of rebuilding around the old town and tried to recreate the "Prussian" feel, but still many ex-communist show piece buildings, which have been done up by the German tax payer. It would probably be quite a pain to get there from the UK though.

Not sure I would recommend Antwerp (never actually been there but travelled through Belgium and found it quite depressing), though the diamond centre may be interesting.

I recently went to Madrid, but not sure if the is a little obvious. Amazing food, great people (not like pick pocket central Barcelona) and quite a bit to do. Though it is not actually cheap.

Berlin maybe an option, some interesting history and quite lively, not sure if it is up and coming, or has already got there as a tourist destination (possible the later).

Another interesting city I have been to in Germany is Dresden, that is not even close to being on the tourist map (unless you are German), they have don't quite a bit of rebuilding around the old town and tried to recreate the "Prussian" feel, but still many ex-communist show piece buildings, which have been done up by the German tax payer. It would probably be quite a pain to get there from the UK though.

I was in Dordrecht earlier in the year, for a friends wedding...apparently a lot of the "locals" go to Antwerp instead of Amsterdam...

Porto's worth a look. Scenic old part of town next to the river with pretty bars and restaurants, the old port companies' sailing boats parked up. It's not too expensive and the smackheads don't bother you if you don't bother them.

All the above, yes try Northern Iberia. Also Scandinavia, I went to Copenhagen as Easyjet have recently started from Bristol - it was great, cycling around the city. Airport there connects directly to Malmo which is the next possibility on my map.

TBH when it strikes me I just have a look at the cheapest flight from my local airport and just go. If you are in the position to take foreign weekend city breaks then the world (OK, short-haul world) is your oyster.

Been to Reyjkavic twice. Last year for one. Its not actually much more expensive than big city prices in the UK.

Their currency went down even more than ours

Would def recommend hiring a car and sightseeing. Lots to see within a daytrip of the capital.

Don't let the costs put you off - its expensive but not mental. You will pay about the same for lunch and a few drinks in George st in Edinburgh as you will over there.

Ps check on the exchange rate just in case there has been a big move since last June.

Copenhagen is worth a visit, They have the Mikkeller bar which has some of the top rated beers in the world, and Christiania self-governing micro-nation where normal laws are not enforced. Food wise I wasn't so impressed, mainly kebab shops and generic stuff.

Agree about Dresden though, beautiful city, and German food is definitely underrated. Recommend the PulverTurm there.

Copenhagen is worth a visit, They have the Mikkeller bar which has some of the top rated beers in the world, and Christiania self-governing micro-nation where normal laws are not enforced. Food wise I wasn't so impressed, mainly kebab shops and generic stuff.

Agree about Dresden though, beautiful city, and German food is definitely underrated. Recommend the PulverTurm there.

Spent a day in Christania a couple of years ago with my kids, then aged about 13 and 10. People openly selling hash but absolutely no bother from anyone at all. At one point about 30 or 40 riot police turned up, tried to look menacing for a while, then moved on. That was a bit disconcerting but otherwise everyone was lovely. Copenhagen is generally lovely.

I was going to go to Copenhagen in early April but was worried about it being even colder than here. Checked for cheapest flights to anywhere and went to Carcassone instead. Hired a car and drove to Andorra as well as seeing some culture in Nimes and Arles. Nice little trip all in all.

Antwerp wasn't brilliant in my experience (I was driving and their park and ride appears to have closed down - got scared driving on the tram lines in the centre of town instead). Rubenshuis was quite interesting.

In the nearish future, I'm thinking of somewhere to go...don't really want to do the usual Amsterdam, Dublin thing...possibly somewhere a little unusual..I hear Antwerp may be good...would love to go to Reykjavik, but fear the cost...

Come over to Belfast , great lively city these days with loads to do , plus if you listen to other people's conversations you hear what a house price crash sounds like live.

was in Budapest last year, late summer. attractive women, cheap beer/ food, plenty of history/ culture and an interesting bohemian scene (check out Piaf and the "ruin bars").

also bike-friendly -- i bimbled around on a brompton folder (still a novelty in hungary) taken out on Ryan Air as checked-in luggage.

didn't see any british stag parties.

highly recommended.

I'm not much of a City-Breaker myself- the wife enjoyed Munich when she went with her friends, FWIW- but we did Nice a couple of times a decade ago. Flights and accomodation were cheap, eating out was costly (probably even more so given the strength of the Euro then-vs-now). But there's lots to see in Nice itself, and the (excellent and cheap) railway line from Genoa to Marseille gives you loads of options- Cannes (actually a pretty dull place, but a lovely beach), Antibes/Juan-Les-Pins (Picasso Museum), Monaco (worth seeing at least once....).

Or- Paris on the Eurostar? You can regularly get train+hotel for 2-3 nights for ~£150pp on the various cheap deal sites. You can't appreciate how impressive the architecture is unless you've walked from the Arc De Triomph to the river and seen it for yourself. I'm a proud Londoner (proud of everything apart from how I've been priced out of it, that is :rolleyes: ) but Paris is something else...

Istanbul - a fascinating place, both on the European & Asian side, good nightlife, lots of historical sites, cultural stuff, cruise down the Bosphorous is a must and also a visit to Princes Islands is recommended.

Berlin - definitely a great place, been there about 5 times but may be too obvious a choice?

Vienna - great to visit and see all the sights but 3 days there was enough as it would get boring there.

Gent, Gent, Gent, Gent, Gent.

Easily the most underrated* city in Europe (although obviously I've not been to them all).

* unless you don't like drinking, in which case possibly not.

Gent, Gent, Gent, Gent, Gent.

Easily the most underrated* city in Europe (although obviously I've not been to them all).

* unless you don't like drinking, in which case possibly not.

Tell me more

Tell me more

Just a cracking city. Been there about 10 times. Every trip brilliant.

Started when I had a mate over there at Uni. Then based ourselves camping there for Euro 2000. Since then, a stag do, 30th birthday, and a load of cycling trips.

Simple/quick to get there by train, car/train or car/ferry. You can even cycle there easy enough.

Hotels, booze, food. Cheap and very good. There's loads of churches and 'stuff' to see too, but that's not really my thing.

For going out, there's lots of different areas. All close, but you will get lost. Each seems to be a completely different night out.

places to look up

Dubrovnik

Bolzano (not really a city as much as a fairly small town) but hemmed in by lovely mountains in the north of Italy. My friend works at the museum there, there is a fair bit of history

I can also recommend Seville.

Rome is lovely too, its like an open air museum.

Berlin is also fun

If I was you I would draw up a fairly long shortlist and see what the best last minute deal is out of the list.

Trouble is people always focus on the far away places that are expensive to get to and are full of problems (rip off taxi drivers/restauraunts), foreign hotels etc.

How about Didcot for example ? Could be a great venue for a weekend away. There's the railway museum, and the massive power station. And several pubs, and let's face it when you're hammered the inside of one pub looks the same as any other.

Any other good alternatives ?