House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Smoke Your Alcohol And Lose Weight

Mad idea or is this as sensible as smokers switching to e-cigs?

Diet-conscious drinkers who want to get drunk without consuming empty calories are turning to a dangerous method that involves pouring alcohol over dry ice so the vapors can be inhaled.

Broderic Allen from North Texas, who lost 80 pounds by 'smoking' liquor instead of drinking it, explained to Fox5 that he can have his 'cake and eat it.'

However, doctors warn the technique can have potentially fatal consequences as it sends larger and purer doses of alcohol to the brain by bypassing the liver and other organs.

Backing the trend for 'smoking' alcohol, last December a $35 contraption called the Vaportini, which heats alcohol and allows it to be inhaled, hit the market.

Invented by Chicago resident Julie Palmer, the simple glass and metal device is offered as a novelty method to consume drinks at the bar she owns in the Windy City, Red Kiva.

So you get the alcohol high but you avoid wrecking your liver and kidneys and your heart's better off as you keep the weight off. So the question is what is the effect on your lungs from smoking alcohol and is worse than the effect on your other organs through drinking?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2332111/Drunk-puff-smoke-Worrying-new-trend-sees-diet-conscious-drinkers-INHALE-alcohol-avoid-calories.html

Possibly he lost weight, but getting so inebriated he forgot to eat! :blink:

Mad idea or is this as sensible as smokers switching to e-cigs?

So you get the alcohol high but you avoid wrecking your liver and kidneys and your heart's better off as you keep the weight off.

'Smoking' the alcohol will give you a sensation of drunkeness quicker as the alcohol hits your brain faster- much as Champagne does; the CO2 in the wine apparently facilitates the absorbtion of alcohol through the mouth, giving a faster hit.

If you're 'smoking' it by pouring it over dry ice, then obviously you're going to be inhaling a lot of CO2 as well. But TBH I'm not quite sure how pouring booze over dry ice is going to result in a lot of alcohol vapour escaping- ethanol has a boiling point of about 78C IIRC! So the effect could well be due to CO2 intoxication.... :ph34r:

In any case, once the alcohol is in your system it'll still have to be metabolised by your liver or excreted by your kidneys, so I doubt there's any major health advantage in that respect, assuming you want to achieve a similar level of overall drunkenness over any evening- if you're content with a few brief 'hits', then maybe you'll consume less overall.

Many/most alcoholic drinks contain sugar, so I suppose by just huffing the alcohol you are at least relieving your liver of the burden of dealing with the sugars as well as the alcohol (which is calorifically pretty much equivalent to sugar, weight for weight). That could also explain the weight loss.

So the question is what is the effect on your lungs from smoking alcohol and is worse than the effect on your other organs through drinking?

Drinkers are more at risk from mouth and oesophageal cancers as I understand it, so I daresay ethanol is very mildly carcinogenic. Probably taking a big cloud of vaporised ethanol into your lungs is not going to be very good for them. But I daresay ot's not as bad as smoking.

Overall, I'm of the opinion that this is not going to be much help to people like me who enjoy getting drunk but also don't want to die prematurely :rolleyes: But equally I doubt it's any worse than just necking the shots, so if it floats your boat, go for it! :)