House Price Crash Forum

3,000 Jobs To Be Created By Asda

libitina

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

A friend of mine told me today that his wife has just started part-time in a well known seller of knickers and prawn sandwhiches.

She works a 7 hour shift and for that she is allowed a 15 minute break. Eight hours gets a 30 minute break. By the time she leaves her till, goes to the loo and has a cuppa she is on the way back to the till. Often the tea is too hot for her to have more than just a sip before her break is over. For this she gets JUST over the minimum wage.

The 'perk' is that at the end of the day all the food not sold - sell by date stuff - is sold to staff at a 75% reduction.

HOLA446
HOLA447

A friend of mine told me today that his wife has just started part-time in a well known seller of knickers and prawn sandwhiches.

For this she gets JUST over the minimum wage.

If we all grew - up a little and agreed to pay fairly for our goods and services, higher wages might be possible. Imagine this banner for a car insurer;

'LOOK NO FURTHER, WE CHARGE YOU MORE FOR YOUR CAR INSURANCE BECAUSE WE BELIEVE IN SUPPORTING OUR STAFF'

Mmmmmmmm

HOLA448
If we all grew - up a little and agreed to pay fairly for our goods and services, higher wages might be possible.

Or if major shareholders would be content with less profit. "no no, £500 million isn't enough, it has to be £1billion, and it has to grow every single year"

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

If we all grew - up a little and agreed to pay fairly for our goods and services, higher wages might be possible. Imagine this banner for a car insurer;

'LOOK NO FURTHER, WE CHARGE YOU MORE FOR YOUR CAR INSURANCE BECAUSE WE BELIEVE IN SUPPORTING OUR STAFF'

Mmmmmmmm

I read your posts with interest wondering how you reconcile your "Homo Sapiens raping the Planet" attitude with your "seeking investment opportunities worldwide" philosophy.

Do you not see the inherent contradiction?

Your latter protestations are the very same ones that lead to mass production in China, outsourcing etc.

Let alone your energy consumption on your investigative trips.

Or do you tend to the view of some that there should be a limit on the maximum income of any individual?

By that I mean a fairly low one of say £50k.

You can't have it both ways.

Well perhaps you can, if it salves your conscience.

HOLA4412

She works a 7 hour shift and for that she is allowed a 15 minute break. Eight hours gets a 30 minute break. By the time she leaves her till, goes to the loo and has a cuppa she is on the way back to the till. Often the tea is too hot for her to have more than just a sip before her break is over. For this she gets JUST over the minimum wage.

The 'perk' is that at the end of the day all the food not sold - sell by date stuff - is sold to staff at a 75% reduction.

I used to make said prawn sandwiches for knicker seller, and I've also sold the knickers and sandwiches too!

HOLA4413

The problem is the nation - government, business, individuals - are swimming in such a huge burden of debt people can not be paid enough to buy much of what the economy produces and supplies.

That's why people subsidise themsevles on credit. That's why billions is spent on marketing to encourage people to buy on credit.

Does anyone want to live on prcessed Tesco Value slop, chemically tainted and cruelly reared food?

Who the heck says, 'Yeah, I love 30% water 99p chickens me - ooh and those sugary baked-beans and 11p white Tesco Value loaves are just great with a bit of rancid marg. I love how Tesco gives me just what I want. I hate all that decent locally-grown, farm-fresh organic crap. I choose not to buy it. Thank god for the free market and consumer choice'.

With mortgages debt getting a higher and higher proportion of people's disposable income along with loads of other interest-laden debts and corporate debt meaning companies have to borrow to compete and fight to the death on the marketplace, squeezing wages, the average worker simply has no choice but to buy the worst, unhealthy, low-value high-tield, sweatshop made, fall-apart crap.

Consumer choice? Sick joke more like.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Forgot to add: You can't say supermarkets create x-amound of new jobs as local shops and suppliers are always brutalised by these monolithic anti-choice car-magnets. These job-losses have to be factored in.

Is there a shortgage of huge supermarkets ANYWHERE in the uk? No.

Are there places where it's no longer to buy the week's food in the town centre or from local food suppliers near your street or estate? All over the place. Food wastelands. Get in your car, or trek it on the bus to feed Tesco or Asda Walmart.

Consumer choice? Sick joke.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

With mortgages debt getting a higher and higher proportion of people's disposable income along with loads of other interest-laden debts and corporate debt meaning companies have to borrow to compete and fight to the death on the marketplace, squeezing wages, the average worker simply has no choice but to buy the worst, unhealthy, low-value high-tield, sweatshop made, fall-apart crap.

Consumer choice? Sick joke more like.

I am sure Karen from the USA (who posts on HPC) will fill you in as to why local communities in the USA are BANNING Walmart from expanding into their towns.

Tens of Thousands of Walmart customers have STOPPED all their shopping @ Walmart due to scandals of unfair worker wages, sweat shop products, forcing suppliers down till they go broke etc

Just goes to show what will get worse here too!

And Tesco are forcing another 600 shops on us in the near future!

HOLA4419

Stop being such a hussy, you know men only respect (and marry) the ones that don't give it to them on a plate! :lol:

I think libitina is merely enjoying the "freedom" of the 'net being "spoken for".

Teases are still fun though and that avatar!

Oh and this one did marry such a one.

Still together after a very long time.

HOLA4420

With all these people working in ASDA for £5 an hour that means that all the houses are going to be sold in the lower end of the market. Quick BUY NOW before the BIG BUCKS ASDA BRIGADE buy up all the stock.

BIG DEAL - Tell me a major employer that PAYS big bucks and I would feel that this is a positive sign of revival. Asda jobs are minimum wage jobs, why has this got a 'feel-good' factor? More people come off the 'unemployed' statistics and are given a job where they are on the LOWEST possible wages.

DISGRACEFUL

TB

HOLA4421

I think libitina is merely enjoying the "freedom" of the 'net being "spoken for".

Teases are still fun though and that avatar!

Oh and this one did marry such a one.

Still together after a very long time.

Thanks. Yes I am well and truly spoken for :D

Edit: Though I think I'd climb over him to get to Nic Cage.

Will Tesco's be as powerful here as Walmart is in the US?

Edited by libitina

HOLA4422

With all these people working in ASDA for £5 an hour that means that all the houses are going to be sold in the lower end of the market. Quick BUY NOW before the BIG BUCKS ASDA BRIGADE buy up all the stock.

BIG DEAL - Tell me a major employer that PAYS big bucks and I would feel that this is a positive sign of revival. Asda jobs are minimum wage jobs, why has this got a 'feel-good' factor? More people come off the 'unemployed' statistics and are given a job where they are on the LOWEST possible wages.

DISGRACEFUL

TB

I dont know the percentage - but say 92% of everything we buy in a supermarket has been imported.

What do we produce that they buy off us to balance the books???

HOLA4423

A relative works at ASDA on the checkouts. The contracted hours are 15/week, but normally she works a full week. Anything above 15 hours is overtime.

It seems like the company is being flexible, but you can imagine the effect on paid holiday and sick leave. It;s like a 60% pay cut.

The UK will gradually become more like China. You get paid for the hours you work, simple as that. After all why should a company pay you when you aren't even there.

HOLA4424

A relative works at ASDA on the checkouts. The contracted hours are 15/week, but normally she works a full week. Anything above 15 hours is overtime.

It seems like the company is being flexible, but you can imagine the effect on paid holiday and sick leave. It;s like a 60% pay cut.

The UK will gradually become more like China. You get paid for the hours you work, simple as that. After all why should a company pay you when you aren't even there.

Sick leave? You don't get any for the first 3 days.

HOLA4425