House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EmmaRoid

Hotel Bookings Being Taken Online But No Relationship Between Website And The Hotel

One of these holiday accomodation portals (seemingly UK based) is advertising a hotel abroad but the owners of the hotel have no idea why as they have no sort of business relationship with the web co.

How do the hotel stop the web co advertising them? Especially as they are advertising them at about a third of the normal rate.

Is a booking actually made and paid for? If so how.

Is the hotel part of a group that has an affiliate scheme?

Tourist books online and pays the website.

Calls accomodation before holiday to confirm

Hotel, independently owned, says they have no record whatsoever and they have never had any sort of connection to the website.

They use a different website (they seem unccomnected) for bookings and don't require payment upfront.

Tourist books online and pays the website.

Calls accomodation before holiday to confirm

Hotel, independently owned, says they have no record whatsoever and they have never had any sort of connection to the website.

They use a different website (they seem unccomnected) for bookings and don't require payment upfront.

Then it's just a scam. The first website isn't selling what it's claiming to, as they can't, but they're taking money for it, so that's fraud. Contact the authorities and have them shut down.

Friends of mine booked a hotel online last Christmas in Tennerife. When they got there the hotel denied all knowledge of the booking and, on boxing day, my friends were faced with trying to find another hotel on an island they had just arrived on.

When they got back to the UK they learnt that this was now a common scam. IIRC they had to fork out about 1200 for the hotel they supposedly booked to stay in to allow them to stay there - apparently the hotel did a deal with them.

They have no idea to this day what was going on other than that, apparently, they were just one of many who have been so scammed by such an online site.

Then it's just a scam. The first website isn't selling what it's claiming to, as they can't, but they're taking money for it, so that's fraud. Contact the authorities and have them shut down.

Friends of mine booked a hotel online last Christmas in Tennerife. When they got there the hotel denied all knowledge of the booking and, on boxing day, my friends were faced with trying to find another hotel on an island they had just arrived on.

When they got back to the UK they learnt that this was now a common scam. IIRC they had to fork out about 1200 for the hotel they supposedly booked to stay in to allow them to stay there - apparently the hotel did a deal with them.

They have no idea to this day what was going on other than that, apparently, they were just one of many who have been so scammed by such an online site.

This is the obvious answer but it is supposedly a vaguely reputable company. This problem does come up a few times but lots of people say "used them and no problem". As is HPC's google success I don't want to name them explicitly as this thread will come up when you google them.

Btw, I've been asked this query from the hotel side, I am not a disgruntled customer. The hotel is worried that this may affect their reputation/online presence and being abroad its hard to get any sort of representation over this.

I found that most of the accomodation advertisments on Craigslist for Paris (and no doubt, other cities) are fake.

Using Google image search revealed the same pics for interiors of apartments supposedly in Paris were also being used for equally fake apartments in Buenos Aries, Tokyo, etc.

Google Streetview proved to be a great way to check if the photos of interirors could possibly match the exteriors of the buildings at the given addresses. They didn't, of course.

Correspondence with the fraudsters usually led back to Nigeria. I estimate they make $1000's a week by duping travellers into paying deposits. Craiglsist were not the least bit interested in acting to stop the advertising.

use a travel agent.

they are regulated.

If the Hotel sees their wares advertised, then call the Police....

Expect no action.

THis online agency is ABTA registered and seems legitimate. I just don't know what they're playing at.

The things you have to do when you are the "someone knows someone who knows someone in the UK".

I've never had any trouble with the big online booking websites like booking.com.

The rates are always a lot less than the hotels advertise on their own sites.

I'd be wary of lesser-known sites offering rates that no other site can match.

Online makes more sense than calling big chain hotels directly, as they normally have premium rate numbers.

Who cares if there is a middle man, if its 'free' to use their servers etc...

I use online portals all the time. Never had a problem.

And even if one was a "scammer" not sure how they'd actually succeed. You'd just get your money back from your credit card company (who in turn would take it from the scammers)

Wouldn't use a debit card with a random website i'd never heard of though.

Slightly off-topic (in off-topic) but one of the least known things about t'internet is it's probably the worst way of booking a hotel room. Certainly use lastminute sites to zero in on good deals but then phone the hotel direct (yes you have to speak to someone). Although some hotels insist you only use The Internet, you can easily bargain on the phone with those hoteliers which don't and come to arrangements. Usually the more nights you stay the better your chances of saving cash. You can't do this with a web form.

Slightly off-topic (in off-topic) but one of the least known things about t'internet is it's probably the worst way of booking a hotel room. Certainly use lastminute sites to zero in on good deals but then phone the hotel direct (yes you have to speak to someone). Although some hotels insist you only use The Internet, you can easily bargain on the phone with those hoteliers which don't and come to arrangements. Usually the more nights you stay the better your chances of saving cash. You can't do this with a web form.

I've found the exact opposite. To my surprise going direct they've been a fair bit more than the portals.

Sure they save the (v big) cut the portals take going direct. But on the portals you're comparing against 100's of hotels mainly by price. Phoning up they know you want to stay there and certainly aren't going to spend days comparing them to 100 other hotels one by one trying to grab a bargain.

Maybe i just don't have the required negotiating skills (well no maybe about it, i don't)

My wife has just got back from 9 days in Spain with her mum and dad (would have been 10 if they hadn't cocked up and booked the return flight a day earlier than they intended). The hotel, booked through a widely advertised low cost holiday website, cost them £13 a night- in fact I think they paid more for their transfer from and to the airport than they did for 9 nights in a well run, comfortable hotel in a nice, unspoiled Andalucian coastal town :huh::huh:

In fact the transfers, for which IMO they overpaid, caused far more of a problem- to get the pick-up moved forward one day (due to the aforementioned flight mistake) took me no fewer than three calls to an 0870 number and an afternoon of stress for my wife :rolleyes: .