House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

motch

Hit And Run, Whats The Betting Just A Slap On The Wrist?

Young woman knocks a cyclist off, leaves the scene and then boasts on twitter.

views on this. (apart from her being a bit thick)

http://www.bikeradar...cyclists-37398/

Would have to hear both sides of the story really. Cant judge on the basis of what has been reported.

That said, killing or injuring someone by driving your car at them seems to carrying a ludicrous penalty. If I wanted to bump someone off, I'd run them over. Do it right and even if convicted of causing death by dangerous driving, you could get as little as 12 months (out in 6! whoop whoop!)

Would have to hear both sides of the story really. Cant judge on the basis of what has been reported.

That said, killing or injuring someone by driving your car at them seems to carrying a ludicrous penalty. If I wanted to bump someone off, I'd run them over. Do it right and even if convicted of causing death by dangerous driving, you could get as little as 12 months (out in 6! whoop whoop!)

not so, in the case of my accident, the Police considered attempted murder against the lady driver....hence they hung around and were very interested in if I knew her....

Some more details (alleged or otherwise) here

http://ipayroadtax.com/no-such-thing-as-road-tax/i-knocked-a-cyclist-off-his-bike-i-have-right-of-way-he-doesnt-even-pay-road-tax/

Looks like she's lost her job over this. Whoopsie.

Also, interview with her solicitor present on the beeb.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-22636230

Six months? Plead it right with the judge ("I really need my license to drive Rupert and Felicity to school in the chelsea tractor, and I'm only two penalty points short of a ban") and you could get off with £150 and a couple of stern words.

Really? Even though she has publicly admitted hit-and-run?

Some more details (alleged or otherwise) here

http://ipayroadtax.com/no-such-thing-as-road-tax/i-knocked-a-cyclist-off-his-bike-i-have-right-of-way-he-doesnt-even-pay-road-tax/

Looks like she's lost her job over this. Whoopsie.

Also, interview with her solicitor present on the beeb.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-22636230

Here's her itv interview -

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2013-05-22/cycle-tweet-girl-breaks-her-silence/

Watch to the end of the clip for a moment of comedy gold lol.

She doesn't seem very sorry in either interview, in the bbc one she says she's upset everyone believes the other guy not her yet her original tweet stated "definitely knocked a cyclist off his bike earlier".

Really? Even though she has publicly admitted hit-and-run?

What people say on twotter is not always the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth ;)

"definitely knocked a cyclist off his bike earlier"

Playing devils advocate in reverse here, that could just as well imply that the cyclist was on the wrong side of the road and she had no chance not to him him as that she was in the wrong.

Here's her itv interview -

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2013-05-22/cycle-tweet-girl-breaks-her-silence/

Watch to the end of the clip for a moment of comedy gold lol.

She doesn't seem very sorry in either interview, in the bbc one she says she's upset everyone believes the other guy not her yet her original tweet stated "definitely knocked a cyclist off his bike earlier".

That itv interview is a bit of a setup job, the long pause at the end.... You're right though, the look to camera was pretty amusing.

Playing devils advocate in reverse here, that could just as well imply that the cyclist was on the wrong side of the road and she had no chance not to him him as that she was in the wrong.

He could of been. However leaving the scene of an accident without checking the guy is ok is not going to be viewed in a very good light by the police (hit and run?)

That itv interview is a bit of a setup job, the long pause at the end.... You're right though, the look to camera was pretty amusing.

Neither interview did her much good tbh, she came across as sorry she's been caught rather than sorry she came within an inch of killing someone.

And that look at the end lol, I think she knows she's not fooling anyone!

That look to the camera was pure David Brent. :lol::lol::lol:

Unsure if she's a deeply unpleasant person or just immature

Both, I think.

I also watched the interview with the person she hit, too. He seems a nice, gentle person, completely without bitterness or malice, and makes a lot of sensible comments. Quite a contrast, in other words.

Neither interview did her much good tbh, she came across as sorry she's been caught rather than sorry she came within an inch of killing someone.

Rubbish, if you bother to listen to her interview on BBC you will see that it was the cyclist who was on the wrong side of the road and struck her car. Another case of a f***ing aggressive cyclist who thinks he has more right to be on the road than any other road user.

Try walking on the pavement in London and you will probably encounter several of this type of cyclist in a short time.

Rubbish, if you bother to listen to her interview on BBC you will see that it was the cyclist who was on the wrong side of the road and struck her car. Another case of a f***ing aggressive cyclist who thinks he has more right to be on the road than any other road user.

Try walking on the pavement in London and you will probably encounter several of this type of cyclist in a short time.

TBH, she should have stopped anyway.

Though I agree with your comment about aggressive cyclists. Quite why so many of the most vulnerable road users have such an ardent disregard for their own safety is a bit of a mystery.

Two sides to every story....

"Mr Hockley, a member of Iceni Velo cycling club, said he was nearing the end of the Boudicca Sportive 100-mile ride when a car came towards him at speed on the wrong side of a narrow country lane". And from the same article, a quote from the young girl ""He did wobble slightly but he was upright, he was fine". Yet she tweeted that she "Definitely knocked a cyclist off his bike earlier". Looks like she's trying to lie her way out of it.

Not a cyclist, a motorcyclist I'm happy to say, and every day I see car drivers doing idiotic things. Idiotic things that could kill me. I'm very careful on the road because of this. I expect car drivers to be equally careful, and if they're not, then they can expect to lose a wing mirror.

Scarey innit?

Aye. And this is why even though there are idiots who drive and idiots who cycle - you should take a slight view from the bike side on most occasions.

An idiot cyclist is most likely to injure themselves rather than someone else.

And that's the most important point imo.

I've had 2 accidents as a pedestrian. Hit by a motorcyclist on a crossing and hit by a cyclist on a pavement. Probably being slow and disabled (even before the accidents) has something to do with it.

The motorcyclist came off his bike and he was prosecuted for driving with out care and attention. Can't remember the exact charge now. The penalty was points on his license and a fine. He wrote a statement and appeared in court. Then years after the accident as part of a personal injury claim he wrote another statement claiming that I saw him at the crossing, our eyes met and I motioned him to move forward and drive over the crossing. He didn't mention the other people he nearly hit at the same time and why he didn't use this in court earlier.

TBH, she should have stopped anyway.

Though I agree with your comment about aggressive cyclists. Quite why so many of the most vulnerable road users have such an ardent disregard for their own safety is a bit of a mystery.

Totally agree with your first point. Anyone who disagrees with that point shouldn't be on the road, if you have a different view to this please tell this to the nearest policeman and see what he says about it, please do!

Yes there are aggressive cyclists and aggressive motorists, the difference is a motor has lots of metal and glass and most weigh about 1.5 tonnes nowadays and do quite a lot of damage, a cyclist has his/her weight plus a bike which can often weigh around a stone quite a bit of difference there.

The majority of cyclists out on the road will not be wanting to ride aggressively (depends how you view aggressively) as that would be a bit like a male pheasant puffing his chest out in front of a car, the pheasant is going to come off worse, the pheasant only realises at the last moment, however the vast majority of humans realise messing with a 1 ton+ metal box coming towards you at speed is only going to have one outcome.

You're believing her? We'll see, but I think it'll turn out she is in the wrong on this one.

You get good and bad in all walks of life. The aggressive cyclists you've mentioned. I see a lot of bad drivers, who much like this girl, seem to think they own the roads.

I've been knocked off my bike three times by pedestrians. Nothing aggressive or deliberate, just stepped/run out into the road without checking. Each time I've come out much worse off.