House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChumpusRex

How Many Mps Got A Grade N Or Lower At Gcse/a-Level?

I know of one MP who got a "U" in maths, although in this case, it was a deliberate protest.

Is this a one off?

More worrying is the few that have any higher knowledge of science

There are lots of entrepreneurs that flunked these exams but then went on to achieve amazing things. Success at these exams is largely dependent on how quickly you mature. Personally I couldn't care how MPs performed as adolescent teens however I definitely do care about how they perform now.

More worrying is the few that have any higher knowledge of science

PPE at Cambridge does not teach that! :blink:

Ive never understood how John Prescott, possibly the most moronic man in Hull, can rise to the 2nd most powerful political office in the country and then say 'the grammar school system' held him back. I suppose he was aiming for President of the US maybe.

I'm very surprised the USA doesn't want a Yorkshireman for President! Wackford Squeers, et al! ;)

I know of one MP who got a "U" in maths, although in this case, it was a deliberate protest.

Is this a one off?

Too be fair what grades they got is a minor factor.......do they originate from the area the purport to serve?...do they have experience in working in the real working world with real down to earth people, do they understand their fears, problems and concerns, are they on their side.....or are they career politicians dumped into a safe seat to further their own cause on a road to a selected place......there are plenty of them that got high grades in esteemed places of education paid for by their background and privilege...that holds absolutely no credibility with me. ;)

There are lots of entrepreneurs that flunked these exams but then went on to achieve amazing things. Success at these exams is largely dependent on how quickly you mature. Personally I couldn't care how MPs performed as adolescent teens however I definitely do care about how they perform now.

Personally I think this line of reasoning is nonsense, it's one my (loser) brother in law always comes out with 'so-and-so did rubbish at school, he's got his own business now and makes a fortune, so there'

Whatever. For every kid who flunked school and still made something of themselves there's a hundred who flunked school as a prelude to flunking their whole lives.

Personally I think this line of reasoning is nonsense, it's one my (loser) brother in law always comes out with 'so-and-so did rubbish at school, he's got his own business now and makes a fortune, so there'

Whatever. For every kid who flunked school and still made something of themselves there's a hundred who flunked school as a prelude to flunking their whole lives.

In that case they would not become a politician.......what I am saying is a paper certificate should not be the only way anyone can become anything in life....there are plenty of bright and capable people with empathy and integrity without having an expensive snotty badge of honour.....actions speak louder than money or memory. ;)

It's not just business. I personally know someone who completely messed up his A Levels. Resat them and got average results. Went to university and got a good scientific degree. He then applied to do a four year medicine degree for post grads when they first came out about ten years ago and he is now working as a doctor.

The problem with A Levels and GCSEs is that they present themselves at a difficult point in life and unless you've got the support from a good school, good family or naturally mature out then it's almost guaranteed that your true potential won't be achieved.

By the way I have children and I'd never suggest that they miss this period in their lifes just to give it a shot in business.

seems that 99% of us are flunkies.

I thought the problem was that we didn't graduate five years earlier and get an invite to the HPI orgy of the naughties.

I thought the problem was that we didn't graduate five years earlier and get an invite to the HPI orgy of the naughties.

If I had gone to uni instead of out to work I would have missed the boat. ;)

men in jobs could buy houses before the lending boom of the 1990s to date.

That could be jobs on average wages..didnt need to be a high flyer.

men in jobs could buy houses before the lending boom of the 1990s to date.

That could be jobs on average wages..didnt need to be a high flyer.

Both men and women......it all depends where on the curve you find yourself when free schooling has finished....it could work out to be advantageous to study further and wait or it could work out to be a big mistake....anyway just because you are working earning doesn't mean to say you are not educating yourself as well. ;)

It's not just business. I personally know someone who completely messed up his A Levels. Resat them and got average results. Went to university and got a good scientific degree. He then applied to do a four year medicine degree for post grads when they first came out about ten years ago and he is now working as a doctor.

The problem with A Levels and GCSEs is that they present themselves at a difficult point in life and unless you've got the support from a good school, good family or naturally mature out then it's almost guaranteed that your true potential won't be achieved.

By the way I have children and I'd never suggest that they miss this period in their lifes just to give it a shot in business.

I don't doubt it, but he's in a small, small minority.

seems that 99% of us are flunkies.

Depends where your bar is set and what your criteria are.

I've got shit A levels (CDD) and a 2:2 from an average university due mainly to too much time in the pub. I've also got a distinction at masters level and was the first guy in my department (5* RAE, Russell group, not that that's really worth anything) in 13 years to pass a PhD without corrections. I'm doing just fine amongst guys with AAA at A level and Oxbridge firsts. It just took me longer than average to get my shit together.

I've got shit A levels (CDD) and a 2:2 from an average university due mainly to too much time in the pub. I've also got a distinction at masters level and was the first guy in my department (5* RAE, Russell group, not that that's really worth anything) in 13 years to pass a PhD without corrections. I'm doing just fine amongst guys with AAA at A level and Oxbridge firsts. It just took me longer than average to get my shit together.

the chief hazard of early academic under-performance is that it can leave you spending your adulthood trying to prove something

... another way of "flunking at life"?

the chief hazard of early academic under-performance is that it can leave you spending your adulthood trying to prove something

... another way of "flunking at life"?

Maybe, maybe.

It depends what you get out of proving something, and who you;re proving it to.

As Kurt Vonnegut said 'The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself'