House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the_duke_of_hazzard

Bespoke Tailoring

Can anyone recommend any reasonably priced bespoke tailoring places?

I'm not a normal shape, so would like some well-fitted trousers, and am willing to pay more than normal for good quality, but not 300 quid.

I'm not a normal shape, so would like some well-fitted trousers, and am willing to pay more than normal for good quality, but not 300 quid.

What would you pay for something hand made to measure*

*Bear in mind the tailor might have a UK mortgage

On a related point has anybody had any experience of the online tailoring companies? Might this be a solution for the duke?

For day to day stuff I buy M&S as they have a decent range of clothing that fits abnormal people (I have short legs and long arms for my height).

For bespoke suits I go to an online place, in the interests of non-promotion google "suit" and "that fits". Brilliant value but not cheap, ie £500 for a suit that would cost £800 on the high st. I could not tell the difference but lots and lots of people have paid compliments so the difference between bespoke and shelf must be noticeable.

You probably are! What the shops stock, ready made, is for an average shape! ;) I usually buy stock stuff, and get it altered!

For day to day stuff I buy M&S as they have a decent range of clothing that fits abnormal people (I have short legs and long arms for my height).

For bespoke suits I go to an online place, in the interests of non-promotion google "suit" and "that fits". Brilliant value but not cheap, ie £500 for a suit that would cost £800 on the high st. I could not tell the difference but lots and lots of people have paid compliments so the difference between bespoke and shelf must be noticeable.

Do you swing from trees? ;):huh:

I'd looked at them, but wondered about the quality.

If it's good value at 500 quid I'll go for it. Ideally I'd get them to make me some strides first to see if they're any good.

I'd looked at them, but wondered about the quality.

If it's good value at 500 quid I'll go for it. Ideally I'd get them to make me some strides first to see if they're any good.

If you go to Singapore, or India, some Jolly Johnny will bang you up a good suit in 2 days, for £150, easy! ;)

If you go to Singapore, or India, some Jolly Johnny will bang you up a good suit in 2 days, for £150, easy! ;)

A friend of mine got one of those, went on about how amazing the process was. The suit turned up and it looked cheap and ill-fitting.

A friend of mine got one of those, went on about how amazing the process was. The suit turned up and it looked cheap and ill-fitting.

The suit was perfect! Your friend was the "wrong shape"? ;)

Obviously some tailors are better than others! If you ever go to SG, listen to advice! The good ones want repeat business!

Male clothes or lady clothes?

Edit:

You could always buy off the shelf and take it to a tailor. M&S have tailors who will alter their suits for you.

Have you considered getting something off the peg, then getting it taken up / in / both?

First of all, you should be aware that many shops offer 'bespoke' tailoring which is actually only made-to-measure.

The difference being that bespoke is made with completely original patterns cut to your own shape. Made to measure uses mass produced patterns adjusted for your body shape. The results can be ok though. The important thing to ask for if buying a suit is if they use a floating interlining or a fused interlining. The former gives a better shape which 'grows' on you; the latter can go badly wrong after being dry cleaned. If the tailor doesn't know the difference, I would avoid him like the plague.

I would say if you can afford it, go for an off-Savile Row tailor, the little backstreet Cypriot places are usually quite good, though there are fewer of them about nowadays. Department store made-to-measure or chain stores like Roderick Charles are ok.

I've used Raja Tailors and didn't like them. Rushed service, pushy salesmen etc. Far better in my opinion is Ravis Tailor of Bangkok, who does a touring service in the UK. I've had several suits from him, and one time he (the head cutter and business owner) even phoned me personally to check a measurement).

I had a bespoke shirt made for my wedding. It arrived two days before the day, allegedly held up in Paris and was the most ill-fitting piece of clothing I ever had. £200 refunded.

On what basis? an offence to style! Still, a disappointing story! :huh:

jsut to add,it's maybe cheaper to go to a posh tailors shop,buy a pair of quality trousers and get them tailored to fit you.better quality items have more spare material in the seams to allow room for alterations.

Is the extra allowance for alterations relevant?

I think we need to know if the OP is a shape-shifter first.

Is the extra allowance for alterations relevant?

I think we need to know if the OP is a shape-shifter first.

Haha! Handy though if you have a fluctuating paunch size.

Bear in mind that a proper tailor will probably cut the trousers to be worn on the waist, instead of hanging on the hips under the beergut like most men wear them, trying to kid themselves that their waist is still only 32 inches!

Never done it myself, but many work mates get tailored suits and even shirts.

They always look really cheap to me (despite being expensive)

Try and find a good quality off the peg fitted suit and then stick to that brand.

I try and buy suits where I can get 3 trousers if possible.

Haha! Handy though if you have a fluctuating paunch size.

Bear in mind that a proper tailor will probably cut the trousers to be worn on the waist, instead of hanging on the hips under the beergut like most men wear them, trying to kid themselves that their waist is still only 32 inches!

When you reach my age, you don't scan fashion pages looking for phrases such as 'latest', or 'this season'.

My clothing keywords are 'elasticated' and 'absorbent'.

Slaters?

Free alterations at moment.

They've always included alteration in the purchase of a suit.

Great shop for us clued out blokes needing to dress up nice for weddings, court dates, etc...

They've always included alteration in the purchase of a suit.

Great shop for us clued out blokes needing to dress up nice for weddings, court dates, etc...

I only ever bought one suit in my life! And it wasn't for a court appearance! ;)

Yes, I had to have it altered! Done for free. If the jacket fits my shoulders, then the trousers are too wide!

I'm not sure this would be the case today! :blink: