House Price Crash Forum

1 In 5 Bear Regret About Buying A House - Which? Survey

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2330654/From-wrong-mortgage-living-airfield-How-homebuyers-plagued-regrets.html

Nearly one in five Britons say they made a mistake buying their house and aren’t happy with the deal they have ended up with, a report shows.

From buying next to a noisy airfield to paying too much or getting the wrong mortgage, almost 20 per cent of us have a significant regret about our homes, according to consumer watchdog Which? Money.

I should think that figure rises rapidly when the house was a new build thrown up by some 'builders' I won't name.

HOLA442

From the comments..

Paying £5000 over the odds is just silly, and a trick estate agents commonly use to try to up the price when you are very close to buying. You just have to say that it is a 'deal breaker', to use their jargon, and ask them to see some other properties. They will always cave in.

True, but paying £50,000 or £100,000 over the odds is even sillier. Wait for the inevitable correction.

HOLA443

Could I be right in saying that intentionally or unintentionally the survey subliminally suggests a typical property is merely 5K over-priced? In which case, could we construe from what they write that the article would work in favour of VIs & EAs? Or am I just getting increasingly cynical and twisted :D

Of course, the 5K they refer to could be a gazump, instead of addressing a possible serious over-pricing in nominal terms.

HOLA444

Could I be right in saying that intentionally or unintentionally the survey subliminally suggests a typical property is merely 5K over-priced? In which case, could we construe from what they write that the article would work in favour of VIs & EAs? Or am I just getting increasingly cynical and twisted :D

Of course, the 5K they refer to could be a gazump, instead of addressing a possible serious over-pricing in nominal terms.

That was my impression.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

What about people, do they regret buying houses or is it just bears that have that problem?

For the benefit of those misguided souls who use HPC to learn English as a second language, for the thread title to have had the meaning as per your witty observation, it would need to say: ''1 in 5 Bears Regret About Buying A House.''

Nah, people live in shoeboxes or coffins. Bears regret buying houses and dogs and cats have all the flats.

Surely you've heard of dog-houses?

Edited by inflating

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

How many in 5 think they paid too little for their house?

Good point. I always think it is funny that you never hear the boomer generation say that their £50k house was a bit of a steal, even though they think it is quite reasonable it is worth £1m now!

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Guest TheBlueCat

For the benefit of those misguided souls who use HPC to learn English as a second language, for the thread title to have had the meaning as per your witty observation, it would need to say: ''1 in 5 Bears Regret About Buying A House.''

Surely you've heard of dog-houses?

Pedant.

HOLA4414

That many people are dissatisfied with the houses they live in shouldn't come as a surprise. The fact is that many properties, maybe most properties, are blighted to one extent or another. I've long believed that one of the many failings of the UK property market is that it fails to correctly price individual houses for a "liveability" factor, instead UK estate agents take a crude average of similarly sized properties in the surrounding area.

The result is that you could have two houses, let's say both with four bedrooms, selling for roughly the same price. However one has a private south facing garden, the other has an overlooked north facing garden that's 20% smaller than the first example. One is a half mile closer to public transport and local shops, plus it's a level walk. One was originally built with four bedrooms, they're a good size and the property has two and a half bathrooms, the other was a three bedroom house with an extension, it doesn't really have enough bathrooms and the quality of the extension isn't great.

You could go on and on with this list but the point is that in a rising market they'll both sell for about the same price. The difference comes in a falling market, the blighted property won't sell because everyone suddenly get's very picky when the market turns, and the good property probably won't be offered for sale in the first place!