House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dom

Laptop Problem

Old dell laptop. for some reason it won't find wifi networks, just stopped. Been in bios and it's all on. Help.

Old dell laptop. for some reason it won't find wifi networks, just stopped. Been in bios and it's all on. Help.

Reinstalled the drivers?

A clue about the o/s would be handy

This has got me out of the doodoo a couple of times

Some laptops have a physical switch on the side that turns the wireless radio on and off (so that in locations where wifi use is not allowed, e.g. on planes, you can disable it quickly and easily).

It is possible that yours has such a switch and that you accidentally knocked it?

A lot more detail required.

I presume that you are sure that it's the laptop and not the Wifi that's failing?

I know this sounds stupid, but some laptops have hotkeys that enable/disable Wifi. There's no chance you've accidentally turned it off?

Make and model? The Wifi card is a replaceable components in some laptops.

What OS are you using?

Use a network cable, it's better for your health anyway.

I know this sounds stupid, but some laptops have hotkeys that enable/disable Wifi. There's no chance you've accidentally turned it off?

Yes I spent a year using a dongle on one old (secondhand) machine before I discovered this useful little fact!

IIRC Some Dells have a power save mode that turns off the wireless network when running on battery.

Check in device manager to disable power save mode.

It's a dell inspiron 1300 running XP pro. It's not the turn wifi off thing, that makes no difference. It's just not picking up any wifi and the wifi light is not on.

It's a dell inspiron 1300 running XP pro. It's not the turn wifi off thing, that makes no difference. It's just not picking up any wifi and the wifi light is not on.

Check if your wifi hardware is detected by WinXP: LINK.

ED: An equivalent command in Linux gives me this as partial output:

05:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

try a router reset.

Just fixed a Dell 5030, woldnt pick up my network....updated drivers, checked it was on, power to constant, no joy...reset my router et voila.

for most fixing routines, use the ABC of diagnosis

Ask everyone

Believe no-one

Check everything.

try a router reset.

Just fixed a Dell 5030, woldnt pick up my network....updated drivers, checked it was on, power to constant, no joy...reset my router et voila.

for most fixing routines, use the ABC of diagnosis

Ask everyone

Believe no-one

Check everything.

Good comment.

In the worst case, if the Wifi card really seems to be bust, replacing it shouldn't be difficult or expensive.

http://www.pcauthori...fi-adapter.aspx

http://www.insidemyl...20-b130-laptop/

(this concerns a power jack repair on a 1300 but it also shows an easily accessible Wifi card)

http://www.ebay.co.u...58058&_from=R40