House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ash4781

Halfords

Something has gone wrong at Halfords. They cut their dividend citing investment over 3 years in a surprise the market shocker. It's interesting because the report says they havent been investing so presumably running their assets into the ground to maintain the short term profits? Staff included?

Edited by Ash4781

Anybody taking over other businesses will find skeletons in the closet. I am guessing something in the Nationwide Garages.

Basically training = pushy sales people.

Up selling

Link Selling

Loyalty card roll out

Regular Changing Offers that are confusing for the customer but lure the punters in

Insurance add ons etc.

---

People are buying on the internet, and supermarkets sell auto products now.

Got fed up with Halfords rip off prices and 16yr olds service. I don't shop there even if it means going somewhere local that costs more.

I usually get my bits from Amazon or eBay as I am capable of planning ahead a week in advance.

Got fed up with Halfords rip off prices and 16yr olds service. I don't shop there even if it means going somewhere local that costs more.

I usually get my bits from Amazon or eBay as I am capable of planning ahead a week in advance.

I would think they ought to have done very well out of bicycle sales given its current boom. I'm still convinced this is from people with free days and redundancy money burning a hole in their pocket recalling Norman Tebbit's advice but not really understanding metaphors.

Unfortunately, as you say, the internet must have absolutely hammered car part sales with ebay and also the endless forum advice on the cheapest way to effect all sorts of repairs. On top of that, I reckon, since the recession started a lot of two car households have become one and people are using their cars less. A lot that went off the road with scrappage probably would have been the age of vehicle that's new part hungry. Then their other core boy racer market can't get a job or insurance...........jeez they're stuffed, they ought to just close the doors now.

Five or six years ago they were a pirate equity success story that could do no wrong.

Edited by Soon Not a Chain Retailer

Halfords is the W.H. Smith of the motoring world.

You give Halfords too much credit there... W.H Smith is a far better business than Halfords. If people were willing to buy bikes, accessories, spare parts and car repairs when popping to their nearest train station or airport, then they might stand a chance...

Wrex

Die Die DIE HALFRAUDS

YOU BASTARDS

Sorry about that, me and halfords have some beef.

THIS.

How can a company charging double (at times quadruple - see fascia adaptors) the best online price of many essential motoring products (Bosch batteries; number plates; etc), who in many cities are the only factors (cough) open late evening, who have two staff members manning the whole store, be screwed? I can only imagine there are literally millions of punters out there like ourselves now boycotting the place on the grounds that we really shouldn't have to teach them how to efficiently use their own computer system, as customers.

THIS.

How can a company charging double (at times quadruple - see fascia adaptors) the best online price of many essential motoring products (Bosch batteries; number plates; etc), who in many cities are the only factors (cough) open late evening, who have two staff members manning the whole store, be screwed? I can only imagine there are literally millions of punters out there like ourselves now boycotting the place on the grounds that we really shouldn't have to teach them how to efficiently use their own computer system, as customers.

I went to halfords a few weeks back for some headlight bulbs as both mine blew 2 days beforw the mot. They wanted 16.99 for the bulbs and 6.99 per bulb (per bulb ffs...) to fit. I told them to stuff it. It meant re-booking the mot so i cpuld get to my usual place, but bloody hell - £30 for headlight bulbs bought and fitted is waaaay beyond what i'd pay for convenience.

For some stuff they are ok, the tools I've bought from them seem decent and were not outrageously priced, but there are plenty of items to steer clear of, oil is way overpriced.

Eurocarparts sells a bigger range for much less, and delivery is often very quick which allows you to avoid visiting the customer service free chav dens that are their (ecp) counters.

Edited by cheeznbreed

I would think they ought to have done very well out of bicycle sales given its current boom. I'm still convinced this is from people with free days and redundancy money burning a hole in their pocket recalling Norman Tebbit's advice but not really understanding metaphors.

Unfortunately, as you say, the internet must have absolutely hammered car part sales with ebay and also the endless forum advice on the cheapest way to effect all sorts of repairs. On top of that, I reckon, since the recession started a lot of two car households have become one and people are using their cars less. A lot that went off the road with scrappage probably would have been the age of vehicle that's new part hungry. Then their other core boy racer market can't get a job or insurance...........jeez they're stuffed, they ought to just close the doors now.

Five or six years ago they were a pirate equity success story that could do no wrong.

Yes, Amazon and Ebay and other Internet firms have done very well out of bicycle sales (and a whole host of other sales) on the back of Royal Mail and Ultimately the tax payers. The amount of small packets and lighter bigger packets sent out for peanuts is of a gigantic and epic proportion. Soon to be sold off though so no need to worry the prices will double. :)

Went in there once to enquire about some replacement windscreen wipers........told me the price, 'you're 'aving a laugh'.....they were by all accounts, got them for a fraction over half the price they were asking exact same spec from a far smaller retailer......for some reason now I tend to avoid walking in their showroom front door. ;)

They seem to have completely lost sight of their target market - on the automotive side, people who drive old-ish cars doing a bit of thier own maintenance. They should be benefiting form forums and the like as this is giving people confidence to do their own work. The problem is they have no stock. I wanted simple stuff a few months ago (plugs, ht leads etc) and I would have paid pretty much anything for them - but nothing was on the shelf.

They've turned half the store over to chav sound systems, but no self respecting Barry would buy their kit from Halfords.

The one good bit is their "pro" tools which are genuinely good, mine take some serious stick and have lasted well.

Your windscreen wipers are wearing out. You tap your car model and year into Google. The parts are there a day or two later at a dirt-cheap price.

Another big box store rendered pointless.

I'm not so sure.

I did exactly that - and found Halfords to be cheapest once p&p was factored in. And they even fitted them free (it was a promotion, IIRC).

As Halfords is less than a mile from me the whole process took less than 20mins from sitting on sofa to sitting on sofa with sorted car. The www solution would have taken days, been no cheaper, and had me faffing around getting my hands dirty.

One of their target markets is technically incompetent women. I mean have you ever met a woman who can replace light bulbs or swap a battery ?. The other week my GFs car wouldnt start due to a dodgy battery so once she had called out the breakdown service on the insurance to get it going I told her to drive straight to the nearest halfords who fitted a new battery on the spot.

But granted they have done a shite job on the bike front - if I want to buy a bike from a shop then I actually want to go in, pick one, pay and take it with me, not "order" one and have to go back a week later.

I'd have thought so too - although I'm not sure I agree with your rationale.

The bike shed at work is now absolutely rammed with bikes all year round now. Before it would at best be 3/4 full during the height of summer. I think a lot of folks can't afford commuting costs otherwise - particularly in London. The maximum a bike'll cost you to run it for a year is around a couple of hundred quid - and often it's much less.

I see Halfords as like Dixons. They've managed to annoy a critical mass of customers through short term profit taking (some of which actively boycott them - and tell everyone to do the same), which coupled with the rise of the internet means they are now reaping what they sowed. I think the brand is irreversibly damaged now.

You don't need to be the absolute cheapest in today's world - but you need to offer reasonable value for money, convenience and great customer service.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

needed to get lightbuld for my car. £9.99. but good old aldi sold a set for £5.99.

i do agree the store are looking tired. mainly because ther empty

needed to get lightbuld for my car. £9.99. but good old aldi sold a set for £5.99.

i do agree the store are looking tired. mainly because ther empty

It is not only the emptiness of these places it is the darkness and dimness....maybe it's the energy saving bulbs they are using? ;)

Edited by winkie

I'm not so sure.

I did exactly that - and found Halfords to be cheapest once p&p was factored in. And they even fitted them free (it was a promotion, IIRC).

As Halfords is less than a mile from me the whole process took less than 20mins from sitting on sofa to sitting on sofa with sorted car. The www solution would have taken days, been no cheaper, and had me faffing around getting my hands dirty.

For the frugal hpc'ers..

Last time i bought wipers, they were £2 per pair on Ellesmere Port Mkt. I knew the seller & he said the rubbers could be removed & cut down to fit most cars.

I then went to Poundland & another pound shop & saw them for £1 there

I'm not so sure.

But what about the satisfaction of mentally awarding yourself 'Man Points' for being able to accomplish a minor technical challenge like changing wiper blades or headlamps?

But what about the satisfaction of mentally awarding yourself 'Man Points' for being able to accomplish a minor technical challenge like changing wiper blades or headlamps?

.....and 'women points'....they are not incapable. ;)