House Price Crash Forum
or in excess of

900 New Student Rooms Approved In Plymouth

No surprise the University is going down this route, potentially it's going to be a good source of income and why let private landlords have that income when clearly it could boost the universities income. In future I'd expect Universities to sell deals which include tuition fees and housing for the entire duration of the course.

No surprise the University is going down this route, potentially it's going to be a good source of income and why let private landlords have that income when clearly it could boost the universities income. In future I'd expect Universities to sell deals which include tuition fees and housing for the entire duration of the course.

Now that's a good idea, agreed I can see them all piling in to do that and it being a big attraction for the students.

And all the return goes to the Uni. Won't someone think of the BTLers? :(

Officers told the council the plans would bring 200 plymouth house back into use for families, instead of being used for students.

:lol:

Lots of those houses been popping up on zoopla/rightmove/etc for some time.

They often don't seem targeted at families: the details include things like numbers of letting rooms, for instance. I expect a lot of buyers will either be more BTLers or developers looking to convert - and not necessarily to family homes.

Anyway, Plymouth is not short of family homes for a wide range of budgets and tastes. B)

Plymouth has a Uni?

Apparently so! I believe it offers courses in sailmaking, and cannon-ball design! :blink:

I so hope similar plans are in place at the University of East Anglia (situated in West Norwich).

I get bloody sick of seeing ex-council houses on the neighbouring estates being advertised privately at £1,000 a month. If I was a 19 year old student, I wouldn't fancy living on an council estate anyway. :huh: I bet neighbours must feel a bit resentful that affordable* homes are being used as cash cows.

I'm fully in favour of bringing student accommodation within the universities.

For once it is common sense in action to retain revenues and offer good standards - a potential win-win out of the new funding model, whatever you may think of that model

Coupled with Sherford it's bad news for the BTLers

Although I think Sherford would not be required if you forced the second home owners out of the area.

Not a bad idea....but they will have to get more competitive with their prices first, and prove to people that the investing in so much in both time and money will reap the rewards it deserves ......more competition in the market can only be a good thing........fast high-speed fibre optics will mean many other options and avenues are being set up for people to take advantage of in the future also. ;)

I so hope similar plans are in place at the University of East Anglia (situated in West Norwich).

I get bloody sick of seeing ex-council houses on the neighbouring estates being advertised privately at £1,000 a month. If I was a 19 year old student, I wouldn't fancy living on an council estate anyway. :huh: I bet neighbours must feel a bit resentful that affordable* homes are being used as cash cows.

Many of them will be resentful that they didn`t get a BTL probably, until it all goes boobs up of course? If a lot of Uni`s start doing this, combined with falling student numbers, there should be a LOT of landlords trying to cash out up and down the country?

For once it is common sense in action to retain revenues and offer good standards - a potential win-win out of the new funding model, whatever you may think of that model

Although I think Sherford would not be required if you forced the second home owners out of the area.

I am in favour of anything that disadvantages the rent seekers, but of course what will probably happen is that the Uni`s build too many of these flats and half of them end up empty?

Loads of new student accomodation going up near the University in Huddersfield too, some with gyms and swimming pools. indeed in the Kings Mill area, off Wakefield Road its starting to take the form of a huge student village.

Meanwhile in "Rigsby" land. "To Let" signs proliferate outside tired and grubby terraced houses. laugh.gif

I am in favour of anything that disadvantages the rent seekers, but of course what will probably happen is that the Uni`s build too many of these flats and half of them end up empty?

For several reasons it is much better that Universities provide accommodation than local landlords or professional student accommodation providers.

The university will 'capture' more of the student cash, which if managed properly should be a win-win situation for both sides.

Students need not be tied into 12 month private landlord contracts; the Universities will want to let the rooms for conference accommodation over the holiday periods.

While demographic and financial reasons may cause student numbers to vary down or up in the future, those changes will be felt first and last respectively, by the private landlords outside the University.

I think that is a danger. Student numbers seem to be dropping according to the odd anecdote I hear - and they certainly have less money than the boom times. The smart university would hope for growth but plan for reduction. If they plan well, they might do very well out of it.

Loads of new student accomodation going up near the University in Huddersfield too, some with gyms and swimming pools. indeed in the Kings Mill area, off Wakefield Road its starting to take the form of a huge student village.

Meanwhile in "Rigsby" land. "To Let" signs proliferate outside tired and grubby terraced houses. laugh.gif

Ahaaa......, there is something very healthy, very satisfying about that image, like a long overdue septic boil finally being lanced.

I think that is a danger. Student numbers seem to be dropping according to the odd anecdote I hear - and they certainly have less money than the boom times. The smart university would hope for growth but plan for reduction. If they plan well, they might do very well out of it.

Of course if they did overestimate their growth potential and build too much the oversupply would make it even worse for BTL landlords. Silver linings and all that :lol:

is it just me or are 4 bed terraces on rm in plymouth cheap as chips ?

Don't know the area that well but I was surprised at how cheap the prices were when I had a look.

No land of the living real prices......not cheap.......it is only because some pay extra for expensive property that may make it look cheap.......more expensive does not always mean it is better value or a better house/home. ;)

is it just me or are 4 bed terraces on rm in plymouth cheap as chips ?

Don't know the area that well but I was surprised at how cheap the prices were when I had a look.

Lots of Plimuff houses are cheap. And yes, some of the best bargains are in student fringe areas. Want a decent and sizeable house but happy to forego a garden, then areas like St Judes offer amazing bargains.

Lots of Plimuff houses are cheap. And yes, some of the best bargains are in student fringe areas. Want a decent and sizeable house but happy to forego a garden, then areas like St Judes offer amazing bargains.

But could they be more bargainous in the future?

(...)

+ 1

Edited by Tired of Waiting