House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
munimula

Borough Of Chelsea & Kensington Exploring Locals Only

Just seen on BBC London.

Going to public consultation the idea that the borough will make new housing only available to 'local' people so that they don't have to move to places like 'Clapham' god forbid.

Councillor interviewed stated it was to prevent new housing going straight to the international investment market and to protect FTBs.

WHATEVER NEXT?

Edited by munimula

There is also an article in today's Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1871335,00.html

Mr Moylan said: “Over the next ten years the population in London will grow by several hundred thousand. We have to build homes for them and Kensington and Chelsea wants to play its part.

“But it does not help if flats go to foreign investors buying pieds-à-terre for their wives to go on shopping trips to Knightsbridge.

I don't see much reason to cheer London's continued population explosion, but it's kind of refreshing to find this attitude in local government.

The Times also ran an editorial which scoffs at the plans as merely protecting the very rich from the exploitation of the super-rich : http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,542-1870614,00.html

Just seen on BBC London.

Going to public consultation the idea that the borough will make new housing only available to 'local' people so that they don't have to move to places like 'Clapham' god forbid.

Councillor interviewed stated it was to prevent new housing going straight to the international investment market and to protect FTBs.

WHATEVER NEXT?

They have tried this in some of the National Park areas, and in this rural type setting it could work quite well.

However, I think it is a bad idea in an urban area. Apart from anything else, the 'affordable' areas of K&C that they are likely to build on are amongst the grottiest in West London, whilst still being expensive. If I were in that position, I would rather move to Clapham or Battersea, and get something slightly better. It is only a couple of miles away - less that most people's commute!

This sort of central planning never works and just distorts the property market even more.

I can't help but wonder what would have happened to our civilian population in WWII if the government hadn't rationed food / coal / etc and let the "market" sort it out...