House Price Crash Forum
richc

Goodbye Ian Cowie

So there is justice in the world. Not that the loss of one job can hope to compensate for the misery inflicted by house price ramping, but it's a start.

Edit: I wonder if he'll resurface in a No.10 stink think tank.

Edited by Bruce Banner

is Anne Tyzack going too?(also personal finance - "what colour curtains should I get in my broom cupboard london flat to double it's value do you think?")

The newspapers are in decline, anyone can see that, how many young people buy papers ?

I doubt they will last more than 1 or 2 generations.

It looks like this chaps house might well have to be his pension, which might explain the stance he took.

if I were him I'd sell up asap, downsize and prepare myself for a massive drop in living standards.

The first guardian comment, and it reeks as if these hacks feel like theyre 'owed' a living

Can only say don't expect to make a living as a freelance; no-one seems to have any budget anymore. You may have to just steel yourself and try going down the PR route....

Maybe because those 'unqualified' (read un-unionized) bloggers do a much better job and for free?

Cowie, like the rest of them, specializes in regurgitating press releases, usually with added poor spelling and grammar. Investigative journalism is long dead.

The newspapers are in decline, anyone can see that, how many young people buy papers ?

I doubt they will last more than 1 or 2 generations.

It looks like this chaps house might well have to be his pension, which might explain the stance he took.

if I were him I'd sell up asap, downsize and prepare myself for a massive drop in living standards.

Depends, ive read columns in the guardian demanding public funding for papers, to 'maintain balance and coverage'

Doesnt sound even slightly sinister does it? :lol:

Knowing our traitorous politicians, they'll probably get it too.

Depends, ive read columns in the guardian demanding public funding for papers, to 'maintain balance and coverage'

Doesnt sound even slightly sinister does it? :lol:

Knowing our traitorous politicians, they'll probably get it too.

they DID get that under Labour from the vast advertising budget splashed out on executive public sector job adverts in the Society section of the Guradian

i understand they took a big hit when that dried up

they DID get that under Labour from the vast advertising budget splashed out on executive public sector job adverts in the Society section of the Guradian

Peanuts compared to the cost of the jobs themselves. From the twilight world of Gordononmics c. 2003:

According to the Adam Smith Institute, public sector jobs such as "walking officers", "anti-social co-ordinators", "diversity co-ordinators" and an army of other such appointments are costing the British taxpayer more than £1 billion a year.

The institute has monitored advertisements for jobs in the public sector advertised in the pages of the Wednesday Society section of the Guardian newspaper in the past 12 months.

A total of 30,095 jobs were offered with combined salaries of nearly £850 million. When national insurance contributions, pensions and other benefits are taken into account, the true annual cost exceeds the £1 billion mark.

"Pick up this paper and one enters a curious twilight zone," said Dr Madsen Pirie, the president of the institute. "One enters a world which seems to have dubious, if any, economic value whatsoever.

"Many of the roles seem very vague. A 'tobacco control manager' sounds pretty straightforward, but what does a 'positive activities co-ordinator' actually do?"

The adverts for "real nappy project development officer", "air action officer", "play development worker" and 'occupational kinesiology therapist" all featured in last Wednesday's edition of the Guardian. The section also featured calls for a local authority "rethinking waste officer" (£21,282-£22,689), a council "health inequalities strategy officer" (£33,783-£35,298) and two "diversity officers" (salary up to £50,000).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1434384/Guardian-job-adverts-cost-1bn-a-year.html

i understand they took a big hit when that dried up

and they still enjoy disproportionate sales to the Beeb etc, not that it makes much difference in the grand scheme of things.

People are increasingly unwilling to pay money for regurgitated press releases. Back in the day pre-internet, it was harder to get acess to the press releases directly so some worth was to be had by getting it via a newspaper, but it doesn't do anymore. Particularly when it's clear, with source in hand, that said hack has not bothered to scratch the surface of the matter, or just ignored inconvenient trends etc.

Redundancies are a shame if not voluntary, but at the same time much of the personal finance section at the Telegraph is nonsense and the producers of it could hit the bricks without any measurable impact. The absence of half the crap they collectively produce might even improve matters imo.

Edited by cheeznbreed

Top comment on Mr Cowie's penultimate posting:

phil_mcg 05/22/2013 04:26 AM

Ian Cowie article generator.

10) PRINT "HOUSE PRICES ARE GOING UP ACCORDING TO THIS PRESS RELEASE I JUST GOT FROM MORTGAGE SALESMEN"

20) PRINT "HAVE I MENTIONED MY SELF INVESTED PENSION LATELY?"

30) GOTO 10

Cowie, like the rest of them, specializes in regurgitating press releases, usually with added poor spelling and grammar. Investigative journalism is long dead.

With the result they usually end up writing press releases, for big corporations.;)

Its kinda like when Ministers loose office and end up with jobs at banks, or the people they were laughably "regulating."

Probably. More often recently it has seemed. Perhaps feeling freer to take out some frustrations if he was on the way out? Don't recall him mentioning much about unemployment and redundancy in his more recent musings about the market.

Infuriating as it must be for pessimists who have been predicting a property crash for many years now, today’s figures suggest the market may at last be turning – but it is turning up.

http://blogs.telegra...ctions-of-doom/

Anyway, I've been arguing for younger people to be given an opportunity for roles Cowie has held for ages. Noticed that young smart City AM journalist had a guest column in the Telegraph about a week ago.

On the one hand, good news. Good riddance.

On the other, I expect there to be even less filter for pure press-release regurgitation.

Probably. More often recently it has seemed. Perhaps feeling freer to take out some frustrations if he was on the way out? Don't recall him mentioning much about unemployment and redundancy in his more recent musings about the market.

http://blogs.telegra...ctions-of-doom/

Anyway, I've been arguing for younger people to be given an opportunity for roles Cowie has held for ages. Noticed that young smart City AM journalist had a guest column in the Telegraph about a week ago.

Let me stop you right there :lol:

If you'd carried on reading you'd have noticed the three letters 'ass' that were supposed to follow that word.

Meant this guy. City AM's Editor. He has a weekly column in the Telegraph, that I think began sometime in 2012. Always seemed HPC to me, and I think he's toned it down for the Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/10056926/George-Osborne-is-reinflating-house-prices-and-we-couldnt-be-happier.html