House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mccainman

World Population Squeezed Into A 85X85Km Square

http://snapzu.com/ge...ng-side-by-side

Math seems to be right... Isn't this a little shocking to anyone?

About 30 years ago I remember a school teacher saying to us everyone in the world could stand on the Isle of Wight. Quite why they'd want to is another thing all together.

could get it much tighter if you had all the sexy girls on shoulders like at rock festivals.:P

Stick me in a corner surrounded by this years Playboy calendar models, please...

could get a bit hot and steamy there! :blink::P

I spotted this one the other day, the world population on a single web page, it's over a mile high apparently:

http://www.7billionworld.com/

Hmmm, I'd like to monetise that page.

Perhaps you could charge £1 to own your own little character - hover over it and your name, instead of a number shows and it links to all your online social networking accounts.

Any takers?

Hmmm, I'd like to monetise that page.

Perhaps you could charge £1 to own your own little character - hover over it and your name, instead of a number shows and it links to all your online social networking accounts.

Any takers?

If you'd prefer anonimity and need a number then this handy calculator helps http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-15391515

I'll be number 3,623,129,794 then

Or from when history began number 77,715,702,541

Global population density, less Antarctica, less 50% of land covered by deserts and mountains = 100 people per km2

I make that 10,000m2 each

edit: numbers

Global population density, less Antarctica, less 50% of land covered by deserts and mountains = 100 people per km2

edit: numbers

2 and 1/2 acres? That's barely enough to stretch your legs.

I find that a scarily high density. 1 km^2 isn't really that big an area to share with 100 people even though it's below typical urban density. It certainly leaves little room for a decent amount of sparsely populated rural land.

I find that a scarily high density. 1 km^2 isn't really that big an area to share with 100 people even though it's below typical urban density. It certainly leaves little room for a decent amount of sparsely populated rural land.

For me, it depends what hat I'm wearing and what mood I'm in.

I believe it's within our technological capabilities to sustain a population of 7-10 billion (most projections I've seen reckon population will top out after another billion or two). And most people, even though they grumble a bit, seem to prefer living in high density environments. So, they can be packed in pretty tight. There's also all that ocean.

On the other hand, personally I don't like high density environments and for my own selfish reasons would prefer living in a less intensively developed world.

About 30 years ago I remember a school teacher saying to us everyone in the world could stand on the Isle of Wight.

I live on the isle of Wight. That's how it feels in the summer holidays. :). I guess not everyone in the world could afford the outrageous ferry fares, so we're quite safe!

Which bit do you fancy nuggets? Central London or a nice scenic spot in the Peak district perhaps ?

I believe it's within our technological capabilities to sustain a population of 7-10 billion (most projections I've seen reckon population will top out after another billion or two). And most people, even though they grumble a bit, seem to prefer living in high density environments. So, they can be packed in pretty tight. There's also all that ocean.

On the other hand, personally I don't like high density environments and for my own selfish reasons would prefer living in a less intensively developed world.

I don't think wanting a decent quality of life is particularly selfish unless it comes at other peoples' expense - which is why I keep saying we need to stop ignoring the problem of population levels. Unless people express the desire for it there's little motivation to do anything about it. Even if they're sustainable they're hardly desirable. Better standards of living for more people would be more easily achievable with far fewer people (about 2 billion sounds like a reasonable number).

Personally I dislike high-density living; Cumbria is my idea of a reasonably densely populated area. That said the 100 per square km area seems to be the worst of both worlds - not dense enough to have anything handy and convenient and sociable, too dense to feel pleasantly remote (and even in remote areas I'd probably prefer to be in a village than a house on my own, a small patch of high-ish density although that might simply be due to the greater chance of having a handy pub).

Or exactly 1 hectare. Liveable, if you give up meats. <_<

That assumes all of the land is suitable for growing veg - a lot of poor land is good for raising animals but rubbish for growing food crops.

i think there comes a "break point",where people will cease to like existing in battery farm conditions,and will go ape**** .

our government had better start taking notice,because our population density is very,very high.

if the likes of sweden are having problems now, ought to treat that as a serious warning.the swedes are probably one of the most peace-loving nations on he planet,but all of this stuff is sending a very loud and clear warning that even their patience has limits.

all of this could well bring in the rise of "hitler on steroids" to quell the scourge of undesireables....this is a big, big worry.....we need to be aware of the trap and act accordingly.

even hitler prophecied that another one like him would come......so we need to take steps to avoid it.

the gound work is alreay being laid for the new fuhrer to step in and "save" europe........on a "see,I told you so" ticket.

this is not a joke, our politicians need to get wise to this pronto.

we must NOT go down this route

I live on the isle of Wight. That's how it feels in the summer holidays. :). I guess not everyone in the world could afford the outrageous ferry fares, so we're quite safe!

I've ridden a few Bicycle races over on the Isle of Wight. Living/lived in Suffolk and east essex those hills on the IOW seem like mountains to me! Had the gears stuck in the big chainring for Black Gang :blink: bit of a slog.

Heard the population increases 10 fold in the height of summer, and the standard ferry cost is the 2nd highest per mile in Europe? or maybe just UK?

....jeez just imagine the revenue income if everyone in the world scenario had to pay the full price for the ferry over :blink::o:D