House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Crime Commissioners Are Packing Their Office With Taxpayer-Funded Cronies On Pay Of Up To £70,000

Adam Simmonds of Northants appointed his 20 something year old campaign assistant on a £65k a year salary.

He campaigned on being against waste and cronyism.

Voting for LibLabCon types, at any level of representation, is a mistake.

It would seem that career politicians are the same whatever their colour these days. Time for a return to unpaid MPs?

It would seem that career politicians are the same whatever their colour these days. Time for a return to unpaid MPs?

It's hard to imagine that unpaid MPs could do worse than this lot. There are plenty of reasons to criticise an unpaid system, but at the end of the day the current arrangements generally mean that if you fancy becoming an MP you'd better be in the system carrying bags for someone by the time you're aged 25 or less. Doesn't exactly leave much time for gaining experience of the wider world.

I was talking to a current student on the Oxford PPE course, a notorious academy for current politicos. I tentatively asked whether she had any personal political ambitions, and she happily confirmed that she did not but those on the course that did show some were amongst the worst examples of humanity she'd come across in her life to date. Coming to a front bench near you in 15 years..

Edited by cheeznbreed

It's hard to imagine that unpaid MPs could do worse than this lot. There are plenty of reasons to criticise an unpaid system, but at the end of the day the current arrangements generally mean that if you fancy becoming an MP you'd better be in the system carrying bags for someone by the time you're aged 25 or less. Doesn't exactly leave much time for gaining experience of the wider world.

I was talking to a current student on the Oxford PPE course, a notorious academy for current politicos. I tentatively asked whether she had any personal political ambitions, and she happily confirmed that she did not but those on the course that did show some were amongst the worst examples of humanity she'd come across in her life to date. Coming to a front bench near you in 15 years..

I doubt they need much experience of the wider world, as civil servants, who have even less, present them with multiple options, all very similar, to choose from.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2329326/Crime-commissioners-packing-office-taxpayer-funded-cronies-pay-70-000.html

'Elected police commissioners have sparked a cronyism row by packing their offices with taxpayer-funded political appointees.

A string of them have appointed former campaign aides, party colleagues and local councillors to highly-paid deputy posts in their expanding offices, a report revealed.

MPs found that the commissioners, who are paid up to £100,000 a year to supervise local police forces, were hiring dozens of officials to work with them, on salaries of up to £70,000.

Once the cost of their offices are totalled up, 14 PCCs – or one in three of the total – are already costing more than the Police Authorities they replaced, the Commons home affairs committee said.

One Police and Crime Commissioner, former MP Tony Lloyd who heads the Greater Manchester force, has appointed 45 members of staff, including two communications officers and a head of ‘scrutiny and engagement’.

They include Northamptonshire PCC Adam Simmonds, who appointed three interim assistant commissioners on £65,000, including two from his campaign team.

West Midlands PCC Bob Jones hired three Labour councillors as assistant commissioners on £22,500 and a deputy commissioner, Yvonne Mosquito, on £65,000.

Kent PCC Ann Barnes hired her Lib Dem former campaign manager Peter Carroll as an adviser on £70,000, while Surrey PCC Kevin Hurley, a former Metropolitan Police officer, hired a former colleague, Jeff Harris, as his deputy on £50,000.

A separate BBC survey revealed PCCs had created nearly 450 posts in their offices since the November elections. Behind Manchester, the West Yorkshire PCC has hired 27 staff, Merseyside 26 and West Midlands 23. The committee called for a national register of PCCs’ interests and for ‘stronger scrutiny’ of the commissioners to prevent ‘maverick decision making’.

They found that only one in four has published their full spending information online – such as expenses and contacts – despite the law requiring them to do so.'

Why was no strict budget fixed for the PCC's?

Saw someone on telly this morning defending herself... saying that the report had the facts completely wrong. Apparently it reckoned she had 16 staff, which she thought was just risible and absolute nonsense as 3 were off sick and 2 quit (or something).

seems the new Commissioners have a full time job just hiring people.

What else they do, nobody knows.

Why was no strict budget fixed for the PCC's?

Finally, exactly what I was thinking.

MPs mustn't give a fig about this spending or else it would be easily controlled. Set budget, go over budget and get reprimanded and eventually control taken away from you. Like in endless normal companies.

Now to be given more powers. Having been elected on less than 15% turnout (12% here in Brum), I'm sure they feel they've a mandate to take on more responsibilities. Extraordinary.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23787413

Policy Exchange report author Max Chambers said: "Currently, PCCs are operating with one arm tied behind their back.

So why have them at all?

When I read things like this it makes me want to withdraw my labour and try an sign on the sick. If I was in a job on £20,000 a year or less this is 100% what I would do.

It makes me sick to see my taxes getting pissed up the walls by these clowns.