House Price Crash Forum
vwphil

Visited Cambridge

As i live in the wilds of Cornwall i hadn't really seen the extent of flat building!

I visited Cambridge for the first time in ages and was shocked at the amounts of horrible generic piles of flats going up.

Then my Mum (bless her) came out with a classic.

She said "you see all these flats they're tommorows slums"

And i thought yes i think you've hit the nail on the head there i can just see all these BTL blocks in 10 15 years being raised to the ground as they will become run down crime ridden and no one will want to live there.

Any one agree???

Phil :ph34r:

It does not help that a lot of these flats are being built next to today's slums!

I think those currently in power have some sort of notion that this a good thing.

"Mixed communities, social integration and people living in harmony".

Some call it "Social Engineering".

Might work?

A better experiment might be an HA block in say, the grounds of Buckingham Palace or Chequers.

It is also partly the reason for the attempts to get folk out of cars and onto public transport more.

So why "classes" on the trains?

I've wondered the same thing - in some cases it may happen, but I doubt it.

Remember that the majority of these flats are for private sale, not the old 'council' flats, which should mitigate against any real decline. On the other hand if so called up-market apartments have been put up in existing shitty areas then they will probably be abandoned in no time during a crash and go into decline and the erm.. quality of tennent goes down with it.

I've posted this in the 'Cambridge' thread of the 'what are house prices doing in your area' forum - but worth repeating I think. Here's a link to the promotional material for one of the newer riverside apartment developments in Cambridge - http://www.senses-cambridge.co.uk/

These flats are from £370,000 for 2 beds and, OK, they overlook the river but it's not as nice as they make it out to be and it's a brisk 20-30 min walk from Kings College (which is one of the pics in the 'location' section of this website).

This development is called 'Senses' as you'll see - i think this is because you'd have to be out of your senses to buy one... (note, some of these apts have been bought up by companies that let them out on short & medium term lets to business people).

I live in Cambridge and yes, you wouldn't believe how much building is going on. Went to drop off soem work I've been doing this morning and go to the library, past a whole load of new developments all round the railway station. Just had a leaflet through the door a couple of days ago about a massive new development near the station with 1700 homes, the council have apparently just rejected one set of plans for hundreds of new appts north of the city because councillors described them as chicken coops, I kid you not.

DrBubb's new build epicentre of the crash thread a while ago was headed with an artist's impression of another development (one of four massive ones) near the railway line. What the artist's impression doesn't show is that it's on a four-lane main road, next to the railway line.

A second of these is Brookfields, starting at nearly £1m for townhouses (some of them were on Rightmove last time I looked). Anyone thinking of these should stand on Brooklands Avenue (runs past this development, only access road in and out) at rush hour and admire the long lines of stationnary cars pumping out fumes.

The prices are unbelievable and while there are some good jobs, there's lots and lots of McJobs. The weekly free paper typically has 10-14 pages solid of jobs, but most of them pay £11k-£18k. Temp wages are equally poor (office work £6/£7 per hour). The place is stuffed full of HMOs and parking/driving anywhere is impossible (I get around on foot/bicycle). There's no way the rental income covers current property prices and it's hard to see how any of the newbuild are going to go up in value, there's just so many of them. Yes, the university are expanding (and ARU as well, I guess; Anglia Ruskin University was Anglia Polytechnic University) but they're also building accommodation. And students simply don't have the money to pay the levels of rent needed for these new builds.

Seriously this place is insane and every now and then I have to get away for a few days to clear my head - and remind myself that Cambridge isn't typical. In many ways it's a great place but it is unbelievably overcrowded and overpriced and with all this new development it looks likely it'll get worse. Fortunately I work from home so I work at the weekend and go out during the week.

Yes, these will be slums - because nobody in their right minds will buy them and eventually there will be nothing else to do with them. I'm sure a lot of people are going to lose a lot of money here.

i agree. the new developments which are going up in sheffield are prime future slums. it may be fashionable to live right in the city now, but as people begin to realise just what they are geting for their money (not a frikken lot!) they will begin to move out of their attractive studio apartments and back into the suburbs. that is going to force a glut of these crappy flats onto the market forcing the prices down. once they begin to lose value we'll see how long it is before the btl landlords start to accept dss tennants and kiss goodbye to the neighbourhood...

i agree. the new developments which are going up in sheffield are prime future slums. it may be fashionable to live right in the city now, but as people begin to realise just what they are geting for their money (not a frikken lot!) they will begin to move out of their attractive studio apartments and back into the suburbs. that is going to force a glut of these crappy flats onto the market forcing the prices down. once they begin to lose value we'll see how long it is before the btl landlords start to accept dss tennants and kiss goodbye to the neighbourhood...

where private developers wish to provide homes for sale on larger sites (over 23 dwellings) the Council will negotiate for a proportion of the site to be transferred to a Housing Association for the provision of affordable homes

a propertion already are housing association owned, and accepting dss tenants