House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Eddie_George

Uk Retail Sales Hit By Bad Weather Again

Retail sales in April were 1.3% lower than in March as bad weather continued to dent spending.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) also said retail sales volumes last month were 0.5% higher than a year earlier, much less than expected.

The ONS said that sales of garden furniture and barbecue food were especially hard hit last month.

Total food sales plunged 4.1% in April, their largest monthly fall in almost two years.

Not the weather again........less is spent on food because people are eating less of the more expensive foods and being far more careful how they spend a fixed income when prices all around them are rising.

Next they will be saying put the weekly food bill on the credit card and pay for it at some date in the future when you have completely forgotten what you bought with it let alone what you ate at the time when spent it....that bill has already doubled in price, that is inflation at work for you.

So much food has shrunk in size also, another form of price increases......we will all be losing weight if not careful. ;)

Entitlement is falling.

What people demanded 5 years ago....a proper patio set like the neighbours, a new telly every 3 years, anything that was frivolous but VITAL to ones sense of entitlement, is different now.

thats why recessions are so hard for people....what they were entitled to last year, they cant afford this year...they arent starving ( although some probably are), they feel the loss....when in actuality, there is no loss other then in the entitlement they "earned"

Entitlement is falling.

What people demanded 5 years ago....a proper patio set like the neighbours, a new telly every 3 years, anything that was frivolous but VITAL to ones sense of entitlement, is different now.

thats why recessions are so hard for people....what they were entitled to last year, they cant afford this year...they arent starving ( although some probably are), they feel the loss....when in actuality, there is no loss other then in the entitlement they "earned"

What is wrong with sitting on a nice tree trunk?......not seen so many garage sales as I have seen this year.......maybe it is money people are after not the extras ;)

They're really lining the ducks up for Carney's debut: unexpected drop in inflation, unexpectedly weak consumer sales, govt borrowing revised down...

Can we anticipate a little 'unexpected' spike in unemployment to give him the final sanction to print?

2 stone lost since January. Food production up, beer & wine production up. Preserved food supplies increasing and standing at one year (assuming an increase in my household size to 3 peoples from its current size of 1). I have been purchasing less food. My spending is now being increasingly devoted to 'investments'. Basically hoarding tools and commonly used goods. Savings account opened. And I'm doing this whilst back on the dole. Will require 8 years of full time employment in order to get and pay off a 7 year mortgage come September. However, I am not averse to letting my plans fall behind by one year, retirement for me does not seem to be an option, so I must treasure my unemployment in my youth, this is my retirement. I am fortunate to be able to spend it reading, writing and gardening.

2 stone lost since January. Food production up, beer & wine production up. Preserved food supplies increasing and standing at one year (assuming an increase in my household size to 3 peoples from its current size of 1). I have been purchasing less food. My spending is now being increasingly devoted to 'investments'. Basically hoarding tools and commonly used goods. Savings account opened. And I'm doing this whilst back on the dole. Will require 8 years of full time employment in order to get and pay off a 7 year mortgage come September. However, I am not averse to letting my plans fall behind by one year, retirement for me does not seem to be an option, so I must treasure my unemployment in my youth, this is my retirement. I am fortunate to be able to spend it reading, writing and gardening.

I'm employed and fairly well paid and retirement won't be an option either. Just hope there'll be enough benefits for me left in 25 years time!