House Price Crash Forum

Forget Poundland... Now There's Poundcafe!

Natalie, 31, who had a sausage bap and a cup of tea for £2, added: 'It was very nice and lovely for the price, I'll be back tomorrow.

The mail just couldn't resist it.

It's just a surprise that they didn't say people should celebrate prices soaring.

TPTB have obviously missed an opportunity to "create wealth" by limiting the supply of food.

TPTB have taken an opportunity to kill people off. One of those breakfasts every day and that should cut life expectancy.

300 customers a day for a £1 breakfast is not going to go very far on a high street business when there's rent and rates to pay. Have they set themselves up as a charity or something?

300 customers a day for a £1 breakfast is not going to go very far on a high street business when there's rent and rates to pay. Have they set themselves up as a charity or something?

The £1 breakfast doesn't include a cup of tea. Add £1 for a cup of tea (which most people will want) and the economics start to become more reasonable.

I would guess half the customer will want a double breakfast and a cup of tea, so probably half are paying £3 a head (150x£3 = £450) and half the rest will want a cup of tea (75x£2=£150) plus finally the cheapskates only there for the £1 breakfast (75*£1) and you're looking at £675.

As most of the costs are fixed (rent, staff etc) cutting prices to increase volume makes sense.

Just thinking that. The plate of fried breakfast in the picture shown would cost around a pound in ingredients.

Could be one of those empty shop deals where a business gets 6 months for free and then they close down or move on.

Toast, teas and cakes between 25p and a quid might help a little.

Isn't the hash brown some sort of american abomination ?

Shouldn't it be the slice of fried bread instead ?

If I had to go for 4 ingredients it would be bacon, sausage, fried bread and fried egg.

Do they get brown sauce with that ?

I wonder if anyone would try: sausage,sausage,sausage,sausage, own brown sauce sachets nicked from service station and bring 2 flasks in, one with hot beans, the other with tea or coffee B):):D

I wonder if anyone would try: sausage,sausage,sausage,sausage, own brown sauce sachets nicked from service station and bring 2 flasks in, one with hot beans, the other with tea or coffee B):):D

See the "how tight fisted are you" thread in OT.

Back on topic, I could definitely see myself stumping up and extra 25p for the beans.

Ruffles has got it right, they suck you in with the cheap headline, by the time you've added all the sides the price bumps up. A scoop full of beans out of a catering tin costs what, 5p.

The plate of fried breakfast in the picture shown would cost around a pound in ingredients.
At "retail" prices maybe, but not in the volumes and sources restaurants use.

Even at tesco value prices, eggs are 10p each, sausages are about 7p each, beans are 25p a tin, and bacon is about 23p a rasher.

I wonder if anyone would try: sausage,sausage,sausage,sausage, own brown sauce sachets nicked from service station and bring 2 flasks in, one with hot beans, the other with tea or coffee B)
Yes because restaurants usually let you bring in your own food an drink to eat at their tables.

The £1 breakfast doesn't include a cup of tea. Add £1 for a cup of tea (which most people will want) and the economics start to become more reasonable.

I would guess half the customer will want a double breakfast and a cup of tea, so probably half are paying £3 a head (150x£3 = £450) and half the rest will want a cup of tea (75x£2=£150) plus finally the cheapskates only there for the £1 breakfast (75*£1) and you're looking at £675.

As most of the costs are fixed (rent, staff etc) cutting prices to increase volume makes sense.

Really? I would be surprised if the people who buy a breakfast for a pound would waste a pound on a cup of tea.

Sounds like a lot of hard work for not a lot of money.

Sausages will be at least 60% rusk.

The eggs will be battery farmed low grade.

Hash browns will from reconstituted potato flour.

Beans? Well, probably bottom of the barrel from somewhere.

All of it costing pennies per serving.

And those girls won't be pulling big salaries.

It would be hell on earth to work in there; feeding junkies, work-shy dole addicts, pensioners.

Edited by cashinmattress

Shopping at Sainsburys (MySupermarket.co.uk)

Basic Bacon 17p a slice

Basic Sausage 7.5p each

Basic Egg 12p

Basic Beans 200g 12p

Total 48.5p if bought retail at Sainsbury's thats over a 51.5% gross margin. If they buy the stuff wholesale they'll get it even cheaper.

Looks like it could turn a reasonable profit to me.

Total 48.5p if bought retail at Sainsbury's thats over a 51.5% gross margin. If they buy the stuff wholesale they'll get it even cheaper.

Looks like it could turn a reasonable profit to me.

Not convinced. Even if the food costs next to nothing. £1 for the labour, energy, rent etc seems low. These people probably sit there for hours too.

LOL. This is my hometown. I was born there - parents moved there as it was one of the marvellous new overspill towns from the liverpool slum clearances. I soon realised that the only way to get out was to get educated, go to uni and move out, never to return. God it's a sh1thole beyond belief and I don't miss the daily racial abuse one bit.

Nice summary (couple of years old but still true ) on chavtowns, swearing detector isn't allowing a link

A lot of my school peers ended up doing petty crime / heroin / staying on the dole.

The best thing for it is a nuclear bomb.

btw parents moved soon after I left to a more 'posher' part of liverpool *don't laugh at the back there*

Edited by jfk

LOL. This is my hometown. I was born there - parents moved there as it was one of the marvellous new overspill towns from the liverpool slum clearances. I soon realised that the only way to get out was to get educated, go to uni and move out, never to return. God it's a sh1thole beyond belief and I don't miss the daily racial abuse one bit.

Nice summary (couple of years old but still true ) on chavtowns, swearing detector isn't allowing a link

A lot of my school peers ended up doing petty crime / heroin / staying on the dole.

The best thing for it is a nuclear bomb.

btw parents moved soon after I left to a more 'posher' part of liverpool *don't laugh at the back there*

You'll be down The Towny tomorrow! First in the queue!

You'll be down The Towny tomorrow! First in the queue!

Yeah Laaaaaaaaaaaa, get down the johnny todd afterwards laaaaaaa for a bifter and some draw

*shoots self*

its says 300 people in the first hour and a half in the article so maybe a lot were take away.

thats do able with that kind of volume.

it just goes to show how much more efficient an economy can be when rents are cheap.

Sausages will be at least 60% rusk.

The eggs will be battery farmed low grade.

Hash browns will from reconstituted potato flour.

Beans? Well, probably bottom of the barrel from somewhere.

All of it costing pennies per serving.

And those girls won't be pulling big salaries.

It would be hell on earth to work in there; feeding junkies, work-shy dole addicts, pensioners.

In that case they should be paying us to eat there.......best to eat your known £1 breakfast before you leave home. ;)